“Good food but very old fashioned”

K D's Kettering Bar-B-Q
Ranked #105 of 775 Restaurants in Dayton
Cuisines: Barbecue
Reviewed September 27, 2013

My first trip here with friends that have come time and time again. This is an old store at the end of a plaza that's been there for years, and I don't think they have updated a single thing since the 70's other than to raise prices. The service was good, but everything about this place screams the 70's - the food, the menu, the decor. The customers range in age from 70-90, and likely they keep things the same to please their long-time customers who don't like changes. Broasted chicken, hot bacon slaw, potato rolls....as you can see, very old fashioned. However, the food was good! Hot bacon slaw, they put cabbage into sugared white vinegar and add bacon. It was actually good, even though a whiff of it nearly knocked me on the floor.

In summary, this is a good choice if you're nostalgic and miss going to your local restaurant for old-fashioned food, because you'll get good old-fashioned food here.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

Nice small restaurant only seats maybe 50 people. We ate here for lunch. We had boasted chicken which was done to order. Which was good. Also had a grilled BBQ pork chop. Nice portions.i will go back with my crew for lunch

Reviewed May 27, 2013

After many years living in the area my son and I decided to give KD's a try. I can't say much about the food, but I can comment on the experience. Going inside you are presented with a tacky collection of memorabilia and furnishings. I don't think these are by design. It seems like the owners just haven't tried to update things. I'm going to stop there, but will say that I recognize why some like the place. It looks like nothing has changed since 1972. No music. No atmosphere. Unfortunately, no service either. We sat around for about ten minutes without menus, drinks, or a greeting. Staff seemed to notice us, but didn't seem to care. There were five other people eating there so maybe they were overwhelmed. If you want good BBQ in Dayton, head downtown to Smokin BBQ at the entrance to the Oregon District. Fantastic food in a renovated diner that holds on to old school cool. They even seem to want your business!

Reviewed August 24, 2012 via mobile

Im from the south. This is a Yankees version of BBQ. The pork and ribs aren't smoked at all. That's not BBQ !! Our pulled pork was crunchy and tasted of hours under a heat lamp. I hope their chicken and cabbage rolls are better than their excuse for barbecue. Try Woodys or City Barbecue in Beavercreek for authentic barbecue.

Reviewed July 3, 2012

The pork tenderloin sandwich is great! Hamburgers great tasting and any of the bbq chicken is excellent.