“Good, but nothing exciting, especially for the price”

Meadowlark Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 787 Restaurants in Dayton
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Meadowlark is a chef-owned and operated neighborhood restaurant in the heart of Dayton, Ohio. Our menus feature high-quality ingredients cooked simply but imaginatively with lively, bright-tasting flavors. Our cooking is geared toward the American palate, which means fluffy, buttermilk mashed potatoes, homemade pickles and cornbread, great pancakes at brunch and yes, there will always be a burger on the menu. We also feature meat, fish and vegetarian dishes that employ the flavors and techniques from around the world that we have all come to love. This is contemporary everyday cooking, from scratch, made and served with local pride.
Reviewed December 12, 2012

This was my first time to this restaurant. It is hard to find as it sits in behind other small stores. The interior was nothing to remember. The hostess was very sloppy looking, sure not what I expected. All the servers appeared clean and dressed well. My server provided very good service. Food was their salmon sandwich. It was good, but nothing I would make the trip there for again. I cannot say anyone was friendly, in fact, the hostess looked at me as if I had two heads when I said I was dining alone. There are too many other restaurants in Dayton to find good food at. Disappointed in this one.

1  Thank travel4CEU

Reviewed December 11, 2012

I want to start by saying that this was my very favorite restaurant in the Dayton area until a few weeks ago. We had taken a couple there for a special celebration, had drinks at the bar until we were given a seat in the dining room, and from there it went downhill. I ordered a N.Y. strip steak medium well done, and when it arrived it was just about as rare as a steak could be. Our lovely waitress took it back for a bit more cooking. When she returned much later, it was not the same steak that I originally had, and my husband and our guests had completely finished eating their dinner. This steak had gristle (which the first one did not) and had more than the usual amount of fat around it. The waitress said that apparently someone else got my original steak, as she could also see that this was not the one that she had taken to the kitchen to be cooked some more.

It was very obvious that the waitress was a bit embarrassed about this, but I was so upset that I could not explain anything to her. I simply said it was OK. However, she offered me a free dessert, and later the gentleman at the front check-in offered me a free appetizier -- both of which I declined. Actually, since I could not even eat my meal at the same time as the other three in my party, I should have been given a complimantary dinner -- not a free dessert. However, my husband left a twenty percent tip on the entire bill and nothing more was said. I did not want to create a scene, but it will really have an impact on whether or not I go there in the future.

From this restaurant's previous location to where they are now located, I have followed them and invited several friends to lunch there with me. I even suggested it for a birthday celebration which involved nine people, and was happy with everything.

I think the restaurant has fine cooks and wonderful food, although it is a bit pricey. I don't mind the price if the food is exceptional, but this time they not only failed the food quality test, they failed in how they handled the situaton.

3  Thank Carole P
Reviewed November 19, 2012

We always have a nice time here. Evidently our assigned server was swamped, but the Meadowlark did not drop the ball. The hostess who seated us apologized and then proceeded to take our orders for another great lunch . Later our server finished our table service seamlessly. Everything was delicious as usual with great service. A little "gem" in Dayton.

Reviewed November 14, 2012

Meadowlark has long been a favorite of mine. Not only bringing new dishes to the table but providing wonderful comfort food, ala the spaghetti carbonara, the ricotta tacos and shrimp and grits.

Great wine list, great ambiance and they have a social conscience.

Reviewed November 13, 2012

I thought it was good, but just good. Little over priced for what it is. Family thought it was just ok.

Been to Meadowlark Restaurant? Share your experiences!