“Disappointed today”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed October 11, 2013

I have been here multiple times, and make a point of patronizing local restaurants owned by real people when I can do so. Most of my experiences have been good, and today my gf and I wanted a nice lunch there in Oakwood; few choices unfortunately. Few restaurants available near her house in the neighborhood for lunch; some good ones for dinner, but n/a @ lunch
We arrived, and an anonymous man handed us menus. Thats it; we didn't know if he was owner, server, or host. No words. 5-10 minutes later, no acknowledgement,no water, no introduction or acknowledgement of our presence. Multiple servers running back and forth ignoring us. No question of "do you want to order a beverage"; as expected in a high end restaurant. Their current policy is also, bread and butter by request. We were not asked if we wanted b&b. I guess I needed to 'request".
I had to flag down a person who appeared to be the owner, who was right behind the (same) person who had handed out our menus. He said; "he is right here". He then paid a little attention to us. BTW, it was later in the lunch serving time (1:15 pm), and they did not appear to be swamped with business. I told him in a nice way, I felt neglected. He warmed up just a little.
He still didn't address us or introduce himself; just launched into the (read from his note pad) multitude of specials. When he finished, I said, "I would like a Bloody Mary"; he seemed very taken aback. I don't know his credentials, but he did not impress us. The service improved slightly after I indirectly pointed out his "out of order" style by ordering a beverage.
Then, the food. The mescalin salad was quite delicious, but the Bloody Mary and French Onion soup were also disappointing. They both had a "sweet" sugary undertone. Maybe its me, but I like savory to be so. No sugar in my savory/salty, please! Ugh!
So, very disappointing; will sadly not return. I felt ignored and snubbed; and relegated to low priority. My gf and I were well dressed and I am very well traveled; have enjoyed many fine restaurants from Napa to NYC, and Europe. So, I am well attuned to good service and food. I am far from demanding and difficult, but was very let down by experience today. Too bad.

2  Thank cherylb-rn
There are newer reviews for C'est Tout

Reviewed September 22, 2013

This place is so pleasing in decor, food and service. Such a delightful place for lunch with friends.
They really work to make your dining experience a pleasant one. Cocktails were wonderful as well.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

I did not have a particularly good experience at C'est Tout. My Manhattan was watery, the special for the evening was incorrectly described to me by our waitress (who, thankfully, came back and described the actual special once she realized she had made a mistake), my starter of French onion soup was served so hot that it took 10 minutes before I could eat it, and the braised short rib that I ended up ordering as my main was a mushy rib on some equally mushy mashed potatoes. And, this very marginal meal set me back over $100 for starter, main, two drinks, and dessert, with tax and tip for two people. Not impressive.

I will give them credit for their desserts, which were very good, and the wait staff, who I found to be friendly. Otherwise, not much to say. I would pass.

Reviewed July 28, 2013

Had a delightful lunch - reminded me of bistros we visited in France. Very tasty food and attentive service. True crusty French bread served as well. A charming place.

Reviewed July 2, 2013 via mobile

The chef is French and the menu reflects his Gaelic heritage. A perfect little bistro just south of the city, a good seafood salad with fresh shrimp, house smoked salmon and crabmeat is a signature entree. The chateau burger served with pomme frites satisfies and the french style philly cheese steak is excellent. Not quite fine dining, but a nice lunch stop.