“Reliable and friendly”
Review of Brixx Ice Co

Brixx Ice Co
Ranked #57 of 794 Restaurants in Dayton
Reviewed March 14, 2015

It's been years since I first sampled Brixx, and every time has been completely acceptable. If you want decent bar food and service, you can't go wrong here.

On my most recent visit I was lunching with my wife on a pleasant Friday. The place was busy but not jammed. Their location, once Dayton's major ice house in the days before refrigeration, is conveniently catty-corner to Fifth Third Field, where they Dayton Dragons minor league baseball team plays--Daytonians are rather fanatic about their team, having set an all-time record for consecutive sell-outs. That means, to me, that Brixx could turn a profit by being mediocre and just drawing in the pre- and post-game crowds in the summer. Brixx doesn't neglect to promote local sports, but they do much more than to capitalize only on their site..

So for this lunch we started out with bourbon fries as an appetizer, we got the half potato-half sweet potato option. They all tasted alike to me, coated with a sweet bourbon sauce that was quite sticky on the fingers. If you like sweet, you'll enjoy them; I prefer my sweet potato fries with malt vinegar but that's a question of personal taste.

I opted for the black and bleu salad, concocted with greens, bacon, bleu cheese, and sirloin steak strips, topped with their own bleu cheese dressing. It was quite tasty and came with a nice fresh breadstick--I'd fault it a little since it seemed like the bacon and cheese bits all migrated to the bottom of the plate, and the oval plate was a little small for the serving and so was messy. My wife had the BBQ-bacon-ranch burger. I've had their burgers before, and this one kept up the reputation for excellence; their burgers come buried in a mass of onion straw fries, and I think I agree, based on experience, that they're best removed and eaten with a fork.

Feeling a bit adventurous, I got what I think is their signature cocktail, "the Straggler", a blend of Jim Beam, Jagermeister, and Pepsi. Those are intriguing flavors to put together; you may order it tall or short, and based on my own preferences I would opt for a short next time b/c the Pepsi made it a tad too sweet for me.

Our service on this trip was not only friendly but super-fast. If you are trying them on a tight schedule, they've proven they can keep up.

In the later evening or on special occasions, Brixx changes from a bar-and-grill to a night spot, sometimes with live music, always with a lively bar scene.

Reviewed February 18, 2015

Not fine dining or a romantic spot for a date, but a solid choice to meet friends for hearty sandwiches, burgers, salads and a beer - perhaps before or after a Dragons game across the street. Efficient, friendly service. Old shoe comfortable ambiance. Full bar. Reasonable prices. Enough menu choices to please the picky member of your group. Sports TVs are not intrusive. Conversation is easy despite background music.

Reviewed October 16, 2014

Love going to Brixx before or after a Dragons game. I can always find something delicious on their menu and the drinks are great. They are located in an older building so the atmosphere is awesome. The servers are always very friendly too.

Reviewed September 15, 2014

Great food,great atmosphere.Very reasonably price.a little off the beaten path but that is what made it so nice

Reviewed September 1, 2014

Just tried this spot for the first time after driving past it for a long while. It was worth it. Great food and the service was very good despite the place being packed before a baseball game. There are some unique items on the menu and the food was very good and a couple of "tweeks" requested to our order were handled perfectly. I will go back.

1  Thank Dan P

Been to Brixx Ice Co? Share your experiences!