“This place is cozy and has great food.” 5 of 5 bubbles

Oakwood Club Incorporated
Ranked #14 of 743 Restaurants in Dayton
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Maineville, Ohio
“This place is cozy and has great food.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013

We had passed this restaurant for years and had always wanted to stop. We finally did and boy were we glad. The service is great, the food is great, and the atmosphere is very cozy. We will be stopping when we pass through the area.

Cincinnati
“You can, and should, do much better in Dayton”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2013

Stopped in on a Saturday evening for dinner with some friends. Arrived around 5:30 p.m. and put my name in while waiting for my dining companions to arrive. Took a seat at the bar and was promptly greeted by a gentleman bartender who asked what I would like to drink. I asked him what he knew how to make. His answer, “everything”. Typical. So I ordered a Blood and Sand. His response, “Never heard of it”. Apparently he didn’t know how to make everything, and especially not this particular drink that has been around for decades. He did offer the consolation prize that he would gladly make it for me if, “you look it up”. I guess it’s now the customer’s job to figure out how to make drinks. It certainly would not be the bartender’s job. The person who I am paying to make drinks. The person who should have a bar book behind the bar or an app on his/her iPhone that can be used to look up ingredients. Thankfully, I didn’t have to look it up as, unlike the bartender, I knew the ingredients and proportions in the drink. Everything just went downhill from there.

My wife ordered a French 75 which, again, seemed to be an unknown drink to the bar staff but one that, once figured out, cost me nearly $13 for the worst champagne-based cocktail I have ever tasted. The sugar was literally still sitting in the bottom of the flute when it was served. Nastly. My Negroni was pink, which is a clear indication of incorrect proportions given that two of the three ingredients in it are basically red, yielding a lovely ruby color when made by someone who actually takes his or her time rather than just throwing some liquor in a glass and serving it.

After about 40 minutes we were seated. Seated in corner both where, literally, I had to ask a complete stranger at the table next to me to get up if I wanted to get out of the booth to go to the restroom. In perhaps the ultimate embarrassment, the maître d’ in fact had to ask a customer to get up from her chair so that we could be seated. Apparently squeezing in one more table to make a little more money is more important than the comfort of the customers.

Regarding the food… my wife’s steak was ordered medium rare and served medium. My steak was ordered medium and served medium well. The mashed potatoes were gummy. The onion rings were good. The broccoli in soy and sesame sauce was good (though the serving was small). My hash browns were well done, just the way I like them. The bread was excellent.

So, in summary, if you go to steakhouses for steak and drinks, this is definitely not your place. If you go to steakhouses for broccoli and bread, you’ll be right at home. My suggestion… if you want to go to a “club” in Dayton, try the Paragon Club or the Pine Club. Both will give you better drinks and better steak, which is probably why you want to go to a steakhouse anyway.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank bus_traveler_c
Ft. Myers FL
“No Need To Advertise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2013

I celebrated my 16 th birthday at the Oakwood Club and now almost 50 years later I still love to have dinner there. There is no neon sign, coupons, or reservations for less than 5 people on weekends. We arrived at 6 and had a one hour wait. Luckily there were two bar seats, as there is no entryway, vestibule or place to stand! We were seated at an excellent booth far away from the crowded doorway. Our server was friendly, efficient and made serving us look effortless. Dinner was delicious! We had the Veal Francais with fettuccine, a house salad and their excellent stewed tomatoes. Now, I know this is a steak house but I was out with a female friend and we have so much trouble finding good veal and when we do.....we order and enjoy it. The veal medallions were tender and cooked correctly. The wine was excellent and priced correctly and it was just another great meal at a restaurant that I love coming home to. I adore the dimly lit "speakeasy" entrance. There is no need to shout out the name of the restaurant because it is packed every night and people who know it, love it and know where to find it! If you want a perfectly cooked meal in a traditional "club" atmosphere with excellent drinks and service, this is the place!

Barrington, Illinois
“return to paradise dining”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

friendly exciting entertaining dining. patrons are a hoot and food is really special at a very reasonable price for value. cannot wait to return on next visit to dayton

glk

Visited October 2013
Centerville,Ohio
“We went to just my husband and myself for our 31st anniversary! Excellent choice!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

We enjoyed our evening at the Oakwood Club! Waitress was excellent and the food was wonderful, I picked from the light menu 6oz filet and asparagus cooked to perfection my husband had Salmon and was very happy with his selection. We had the Carpaccio for the appetizer again very good and finished with Peanut butter pie which was delicious. We will be returning soon with friends.

• Visited October 2013