“The Best In Dayton”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Thai Nine

Thai Nine
Ranked #3 of 746 Restaurants in Dayton
Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Thai
Good for: Large groups, Dining on a budget, Families with children, Special occasions, Kids, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Atlanta, Georgia
“The Best In Dayton”
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Excellent Thai Food, Excellent Sushi/Sashimi, the price is fair for the quality of the food. My favorite splurge place in Dayton.

Visited December 2012

Dayton
“Great night out”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Recently went here on a Saturday and had a short wait for our table. The waiter, (wish I remembered his name) was very kind and assisted us through our meal from ordering, drinks and was very attentive. Great food and professional staff. Not to mention great beers on draft.

• Visited February 2013
Dayton, Ohio
“This place is fine. It's not THE BEST PLACE EVER (many seem to think so?0”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Don't get me wrong: I like Thai 9. But has anyone else noticed how ambiguous odd the spice rating systems are? Yes, systems--not system. There are certain meals that range from 6 to 12, others that range from 1 to 10, and so on. I have asked directly, but never had these rating explained to me in any sort of coherent way, and "medium" doesn't seem to register as "oh, that would be a 6" or "that's a 9 in this case," but with a the person reiterating their number system and essentially asking me to blindly choose. I have never been to another restaurant where I've been asked bizarre questions regarding the the heat of the dish, and I eat more spicy curry than even I can believe.

I also kind of disagree with the whole HIDDEN GEM/BEST PLACE EVER! factor this place seems to get. While the food is quite good and there is a lot of it, the price point isn't low enough for it to be anything but. If I'm paying $12+ for a Thai meal that is ONLY an entree and it's TOFU and VEGETABLES, it better be good and plentiful. The eggplant basil and the ginger tofu are certainly my favorites, though Thai 9 also makes an excellent curry, and the big time classic: Pad Thai. It's ALWAYS two meals, so I definitely think Thai 9 serves very tasty food at a decent value--and the interior is just a little sexy, which makes it a great spot for dates--but do I consider it the crowing glory of Thai? Not really.

Listen: the service is just not very good. In fact, it's downright uncomfortable. I literally LOATHE calling up (see aforementioned numbering "heat" system"), as there seems to be the general air of great confusion over the order before it's decided that yes, what I've ordered makes perfect sense, and will be ready in 20 minutes. The experience once you arrive is all together strange as well, as there's nowhere for carry out, and you hide of just loiter around the cash register with the staff looking at you (and never, ever giving you chop stick unless you directly ask for them). I also ordered soda to go and the woman presented me with two medium-sized Styrofoam cups filled with Diet Coke, which she proceeded to simply hand to me. So now I have a big bag of food and two bag-less Styrofoam cups. Has Thai 9 not gotten hip to the 20 oz. plastic bottle or something? The Styrofoam cups are mad trashy and just environmentally horrible. And weird.

Hit up Thai 9 on a weekday, or you're going to have to wait far too long. You won't be sorry, especially once your belly is full and you've forgotten about everything else.

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Alex S
“Great food, but lacking customer service”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

I absolutely love the food at Thai 9; however, I consistently run into customer service issues. From misinformation (one hostess says you can be seated and then wait for the rest of your party to arrive; then you get there and they make you wait an hour until a table large enough opens when ALL your party arrives); argumentative wait staff (brought me the completely wrong dish and instead of just apologizing and bringing me the correct meal, argued with me that it was the correct dish [I order the Yaki Soba all the time--I think I know what the heck I am talking about); and refusing to take my order for carryout because "we don't open for another 7 minutes and we already have too many orders...you can just wait 7 minutes and call back can't you?" Nope. Not calling back today. Again, their food is amazing but their service has gone down hill dramatically in the last 2 years...

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank colleenm84
Dayton, Ohio, United States
“Terrible customer service”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

their management and staff not respectful it all... horrible customer service. They would force you to pay even if you didn't like the taste of the meal you ordered. Food,Service,and Staff are horrible....

• Visited January 2013

Been to Thai Nine? Share your experiences!