“OK place, but staff is incompetent and kind of mean”

Courtyard Dayton-University of Dayton
Ranked #8 of 45 Hotels in Dayton
Greenville, SC
“OK place, but staff is incompetent and kind of mean”
Reviewed June 14, 2013

The hotel is sort of nicer than average; very clean, nice public areas, cool outdoor koi pond with waterfall, but I can't say much for the staff. I'm not sure Univ of Dayton really wants their name associated with this property - I know I wouldn't. They are slow and somewhat rude at the front desk, there is no help with your bags, the elevator is slow as molasses, and the whole place is noisy. You can hear every word anyone says out in the hall. Breakfast is a complete rip-off and almost not eatable. Watch out: they will get your bill wrong and then fight about it. I would not choose to stay here again but there isn't much else unfortunately.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Dayton-University of Dayton, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
EBPandDSP,
Thank you for your review. We appreciate your feedback and sincerely apologize that you did not receive the exceptional service you’ve come to expect from us. I have addressed these issues with our staff inorder to improve our customer service and guest experience. We value your feedback on these areas and hope you’ll have an opportunity to visit us again to see our improvements. Thank you again for writing.

Janie Loughran, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
  • Korean first
United States
Reviewed May 19, 2013

This was my second year staying at the University of Dayton Courtward for Hamvention, and the experience was basically the same as last year. The decor was nice, the rooms were comfy, and the pool and hot tub were fantastic (especially after a long day of standing). The beds were still a bit uncomfortable with misfitted mattress pads, but nothing terrible. Everything was clean and well-maintained.

Just a couple of minor complaints:

* As noted in another review, the front desk staff were rarely at the front desk. Instead, they were typically chatting in the back room. Each time a customer would go to the desk, he/she would have to wait a few minutes until noticed (on camera?) and someone would come out. Even at peak times, the front desk was consistently vacant, creating a poor customer experience.

* The breakfast staff, though outwardly polite, provided somewhat poor service. My silverware was set out on a dirty table (twice, by two different people), my omelet order was forgotten, and my empty juice glass was not refilled without chasing down a server. The food was decent, but a few small service improvements could go a long way.

Overall, the staff were polite despite the minor issues listed above, and I'd definitely stay again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Dayton-University of Dayton, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
TheInternationalLine,
Thank you for writing a review about your stay with us at the Courtyard. We’re glad to hear you took advantage of the pool and hot tub after your long days, and found the cleanliness of our accommodations to meet your expectations. We greatly appreciate your feedback on the opportunities for improving our guest experience. We hope you’ll visit us again soon to see our improvements. Thank you again for writing.

Caux, France
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Maybe I am being unfair and it is wat it is but I think a hotel tat links itself so explicitly to the University might be a little mre aspirational. Ordinary furnishing, limited services (shlep your own bags), tired decoration... Meh, meh, eh. Not terrible or disgusting but Could Do Better. Glad to go.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Dayton-University of Dayton, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
senechaldubaron,
Thank you for writing a review. We sincerely apologize that we were unable to provide you with the exceptional stay you've come to expect from us. Your feedback provides many areas that we can work on in order to improve our guest experience. We appreciate your feedback on these areas and hope you will return and see our improvements. Thank you again.

Canton, Ohio
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I stayed here 6 nights over a two week period while I was working on rotations at a few of the area hospitals. The front desk staff was kind but sometimes absent. The restaurant is overly priced and be aware that the prices in the menu are less than what the prices actually are by a couple dollars per item.

The room appeared clean. I could hear hallway noise from guests going to and from their rooms and I could hear neighbors talking sometimes. Overall, it was quiet, though. I did have one experience where there was some sort of stain on my bed sheets when I first arrived. I called the front desk to request new bed linens. I guy brought them to my door and left. I had to take the old ones off and put on the new ones myself. I really didn't want a strange guy in my room anyway; so I didn't mind doing it myself. The beds were comfortable and I slept well while I was there.

The hotel is conveniently located off a major highway. There are not many options around for restaurants. There is a McDonalds down the street, but they have terrible service and accepted cash only (no credit card). I thought that was very strange. There are a lot of construction workers and road-worker crews that stay in this hotel after their shifts. They were all very friendly but I can see this hotel gets a lot of traffic.

From what I have read on other reviews, this seems to be one of the better hotels to stay at when you visiting this area. I wasn't overwhelmed or anything, but I can say this was a clean and relatively quiet place to stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Dayton-University of Dayton, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
batgirljami,
Thank you for sharing a review about your recent stay with us. We apologize that we were unable to provide you with the exceptional stay you've come to expect from us. The little details definitely do make a trip and we regret we missed the mark during your visit. Your feedback provides many areas that we can work on in order to improve our guest experience. We appreciate your feedback on these areas and hope you will return and see our improvements. Thank you again.

Columbus, Ohio
Reviewed April 5, 2013

I stayed at the Courtyard for one night recently while on a business trip. The woman at the front desk who checked me in was very friendly, and the check-in process was a breeze. The room was nice, I liked that they had free Wi-Fi. The lobby portion of the hotel was very clean and nice, what you'd expect from a Courtyard. Overall I was very pleased with my stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
ConcordHospitality, General Manager at Courtyard Dayton-University of Dayton, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
ColumbusBuckeye,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us at Courtyard. We’re glad you had a pleasant stay with us while in town for business. We hope you’ll visit us again soon. Thank you again for writing.

Mars, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 31, 2013

We stayed at the property this past weekend to reconnoiter for our son's upcoming wedding that will be across the Little Miami River at Carillon Park. We found the front desk staff helpful and the rooms spacious and well-appointed. We especially enjoyed the breakfast buffet-$9.95 but a good selection of food and very friendly staff, including chef Lauretta.Location relative to UD, Brown Street, and the Carillion Park is great, and it's just off of I-75.

Room Tip: Pick a room with a view of the river
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Warren H,
Thank you for sharing your experience with us at Courtyard Dayton. Congratulations on your son’s upcoming wedding! We appreciate you choosing to stay with us while in town. I’m pleased to hear you found our staff friendly and helpful. I’ll make sure Lauretta receives a special commendation for her outstanding service. We enjoyed having you and your family as our guests and hope we’ll see you all again soon. Thank you again for writing.

Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed March 27, 2013

Everything at this hotel is excellent. The staff goes way above and beyond any expectation. I have stayed here for the past 3 months and it seems more like home to me everytime I stay. Everything is just the way you would not only want it to be, but expect it to be. the rooms are a very comfortable size, everything is clean. The food in the restaurant is very good, and the restauarant employees are extremely nice, helpful, and pleasant. This is one hotel which allows me to enjoy travelling for business.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Renee B, General Manager at Courtyard Dayton-University of Dayton, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Jerry B,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and share your experience with us at Courtyard Dayton. I’m happy to hear that our friendly staff helps provides you with exceptional service while you’re in town for business. Thank you for choosing our hotel to be your home away from home. We look forward to seeing you again soon! Thank you again for writing.