“Nice Room, Pretty Close to Downtown Dayton” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Courtyard Dayton-University of Dayton

Courtyard Dayton-University of Dayton
Ranked #10 of 46 Hotels in Dayton
Cleveland, Ohio
“Nice Room, Pretty Close to Downtown Dayton”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

Stayed here the weekend of the Downtown Dayton Revival Music Festival. The rooms were very nice, clean and had all the ameneties you would expect in a Courtyard. The front desk staff were attentive and accomodating. The only thing I wish there was a complimentary continental breakfast. I had the hot breakfast one day and for 10 bucks it isn't a bad deal but if there was a complimentary cold breakfast I think that would be better.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Courtyard Dayton-University of Dayton, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
AbeinJersey,

Thank you for taking a moment and writing a review about your stay with us at Courtyard. We’re pleased you chose to stay with us while attending the music festival and hope you enjoyed your entire stay in Dayton, Ohio. I appreciate your compliments about our welcoming staff as well. We hope to see you for next year’s event as we appreciate your continued support.

All the best,
Janie Loughran, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Korean first
birmingham
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Marriott is one of the most well-known brands in the world. Have stayed in Marriotts many times, in all areas of the country. The rooms were nice, beds comfortable, tv adequate, although I was sad to discover that there was no way to hook up any of your own devices to the tv.
As far as the bathroom is concerned, I was blown away by the fact that the towels, washcloths, etc were of such poor quality, that after a shower I felt like I was trying to dry myself with a handkerchief. They were using towels, etc. that one would usually find in a Red Roof Inn, Travelodge, etc. They are probably the originals that they first purchased when the hotel first opened, whenever that was. What a bummer! I wouldn't stay there again because of this one thing.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank mayer c
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Courtyard Dayton-University of Dayton, responded to this review, September 11, 2012
mayer c,

Thank you for writing a review about your stay with us at Courtyard. We’re grateful you chose to stay with us and found our rooms to be clean and comfortable. I regret to hear of your discontent with our towels and assure you that we do supply our guests with high quality Marriott towels. I will discuss your comments with our housekeeping staff in our next staff meeting. I sincerely hope this one incident would not keep you from visiting us again for a more positive experience. Thank you again.

Atlanta, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012 via mobile

If you've stayed at a Courtyard that's been built in the past 5 years or so I doubt you'll be surprised. Standard rooms with the bed against an internal (to the room) wall means no sounds coming through the wall by your head. Room is nicely appointed with a sofa, fridge, standard coffee service and a LCD screen. Of course you have places to store clothes and hang things up. While there is no tea service in room you will find tea bags in the lobby and the front desk will be happy to get you hot water.

Surprisingly the TV does NOT have an HDMI port which means no hooking your iDevice up to stream content. This was a disappointment to me as I'm used to having the fabulous Marriott Connect panel available to me. Certainly not a deal breaker but be warned if you are planning on catching up on some movies. Cable service was alright, not as many channels as I'd have liked but certainly more than the local three.

I did not get a chance to try the restaurant or room service so can't comment on the food. While I did not visit the gym this trip I did walk by and noticed the two lonely treadmills and eliptical machine begging for both a bigger space and to be joined by more equipment.

When I first checked in I was facing the highway. I decided to change rooms because I was right next to the elevator and housekeeping. From my short stay in the first room I'd say the windows are well insulated from the noise of I-75. My second room faced the "river" and was towards the end of the hallway. This afforded me the chance to take the well-lit stairs.

Overall a pretty standard experience at a standard Courtyard.

Service was very nice and even extrodinarily friendly. I did not get

Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank griff72
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Courtyard Dayton-University of Dayton, responded to this review, September 6, 2012
griff72,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on TripAdvisor about your stay with us at Courtyard. We’re happy you chose to stay with us and had a pleasant experience. I appreciate you highlighting our extraordinary staff as well. Please come and stay with us again soon.

Kind regards,
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

The hotel is beginning to need some attention. We visit the Dayton area frequently and stay at the Marriott properties because of their proximity to the university. The Courtyard was a new property when we began our visits and it was a great property in terms of convenience and the facility itself. It is a very popular hotel and it is beginning to show some wear. I have to agree with some of the previous reviewers and say that the hot water can be temperamental and the front desk staff can be not that friendly or helpful. The young woman was better than the gentleman. You pay top dollar for a room on weekends where there are major events at the university and you are paying for the location now. The quality of the hotel is fading. There are a lot of nice hotels that are a greater value, but you will have to drive a bit to get to them. Sometimes it may be worth it!

2 Thank SusanC10141
New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

Dropped son off at law school, stayed two nights. Fast and friendly check in. Was given a handicapped room so I called down to front desk. They let me look at another room, but not as large, so kept the one given (hate those showers). Room clean, used pull out for my son but no linens, so called down again. Took another call an hour later for linens to arrive.

Overall: clean, good rate, excellent location for UD, good parking, staff at desk very friendly, nice view of river, free wi-fi. Would stay there again.

Room Tip: Liked the river view. Room at end of hall very quiet.
5 Thank Mike_vacation_12
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Courtyard Dayton-University of Dayton, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Mike_vacation_12,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay with us on TripAdvisor. We pleased to have you and your son stay with us and wish him well with his schooling this year. I’m sorry about the linens not being in your room for the pull out bed or being delivered quickly. I will speak with our staff about this situation and make appropriate changes so all of our guests are properly equipped. We do hope to have you come and stay with us again, especially on your next trip to visit your son.

Wilder, Kentucky, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

The courtyard by Marriott Dayton-University of Dayton is great. It is conveniently located right next to the University of Dayton and the Miami Valley Hospital. I stayed one night and it was great. The bed was very comfortable, the room was clean, and there was free wi-fi. I would definitely stay here again

• 4 of 5 stars
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Courtyard Dayton-University of Dayton, responded to this review, August 8, 2012
Immaboss,

Thank you for taking a moment and writing about our hotel on TripAdvisor. Your business is greatly appreciated and we’re happy to know that you had a pleasant stay with us at Courtyard. We hope you will come and stay with us again for maybe more than one night.

Fairfield County, CT
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

We arrived at the hotel after a long day of visiting colleges in Ohio and was second in line to check in at the hotel. We stood at the counter in front of the desk attendant for what seemed like at least a minute before he acknowledged us. He was not very friendly and did very little to welcome us to the hotel. We noticed a sign on the desk that warned hotel guests that they should not leave valuables within view in the cars. It worried me a bit though we never felt unsafe in the area and appreciated the warning. The hotel is a very nicely appointed Courtyard located across the street from some of the indoor athletic facilities of the University of Dayton. It is a 5 or so minute drive from the university itself. Lots of shopping and restaurants within a 15 minute drive. By the way, the person at check out was a lot nicer! I would definitely stay here again if (for some reason) I find myself in Dayton.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
ConcordHospitality, Manager at Courtyard Dayton-University of Dayton, responded to this review, July 26, 2012
sevenstates,

Thank you for taking the time to comment about our hotel and our Dayton area. We are glad that you had a pleasant stay. Please accept our apology for the unpleasant check-in. Things may get hectic around the hotel, especially with check-ins, but that’s no excuse for lack of acknowledgement. We’ll be sure to reinforce with our team the importance of great customer service. May your college visiting adventure continue to be enjoyable for you and your family.

Best regards,