“Not as good as it should have been.”
Review of Buckhorn Tavern

Buckhorn Tavern
Ranked #62 of 752 Restaurants in Dayton
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Families with children, Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff
dayton
“Not as good as it should have been.”
Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

We live locally and try to go here a few times a year. Food is typically good and different then the normal bar type food. We were luck to have no reservations on a sat night but we ended up eating at the bar. DO NOT SIT NEAR THE SERVERS STATION AS MY CHAIR WAS CONSTANTLY KNOCKED ALL NIGHT LONG. and the unevenness of the floor made my chair move back and fortb...not for an enjoyable meal :( Broassted chicken was good. Mashed potatoes were bland, mixed veggies were over buttered and undercooked, pork chops were dry and underseasoned, bread is amazing!!! Baked potatos not done. BASICALLY not a great meal this time. We will not be back for a long long time....if ever. Place needs a good cleani g and to be brightened up a little.
Sad for this long time Dayton establishment to struggle. Get it together.......

• Visited April 2013

Union, Ohio
“Going Downhill”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

This was always the best kept secret in Dayton for outstanding steaks and food. We was there for lunch found the service to be very slow at the best. The food has changed big time. The item I ordered was not the same as listed on the menu and was always my favorite before. It will be a long time before we return or take friends from out of town there.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank mocpgc
Troy, Ohio, United States
“Good but not great!”
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We hadn't visited this restaurant in years, it was always good and very busy. This visit was a bit of a disappointment. Still very busy but food was average. Steaks were very good but if anything else is ordered it's just mediocre.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank Teresa D
Ankeny, Iowa
“Out of way easily found”
Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

We arrived late on Saturday evening after traveling a wooded and winding road to this very busy restaurant. A waiting line of ten or so folks were just inside the door in a smallish foyer. The hostesses, yes two, greeted us right away with helpful demeanor and smiling faces. The establishment is divided into three areas: a well stocked bar with dining at the bar or the booths surrounding the bar, a small dining area near the bar and finally a separate, more quiet dining room.

We headed to the mildly noisy and busy bar to head for a couple of available, upholstered backed stools surrounding the square central bar. Staffed by efficient bar tenders, we were served immediately and offered food menus to place an order or browse while waiting for our table. We received our second round of drinks about the time our table was ready in the dining room, so reasonable a short wait for our table on an obviously busy night.

Traveling back through the small and still crowded front foyer we were escorted to our table in a room tastefully decorated in medium tone woods and sparse Buckhorn reminders of the theme of the restaurant. Our table was ample with a combination of chairs and a booth bench. Adequate spacing of tables, there was a tight feel, although adequate room to navigate around the tables and comfortably backed chairs.

Wait staff was friendly and fast and struck up a conversation about our journey there, without being too chatty. Menu, complete and well layed out, was described by our waiter in detail as needed, offering us their special of the evening.

After placing the order, our waiter made frequent visits to fill beverages and give us a status update on our order. Salad was brought in a timely manner and my friend enjoyed his while we waited for the entre. And waited, and waited. Although judging by the multiple hostesses and numerous wait staff needed to serve all the patrons, the kitchen was running a bit behind. Finally our meals arrived. My steak was prepared exactly as ordered with no seasonings of any sort and to the perfect temperature of medium well. The steak was a bone-in ribeye of moderate size, but excellent taste and texture. The specials board had shown a New York Strip with a Jack Daniels butter. I asked for and received a portion of the JD butter, but found it tasted of garlic more than the anticipated JD favor I had experience at other restaurants.

Other than the excellent steak, I had a cold baked potatoe. Guessing it had been prepared before the steak had finished. Also enjoyed a side of three devilled eggs. The steak was well marbled, just the way I liked it, with just a couple of fat areas I choose not to eat.

Again our drinks were tended to regularly and our waiter tended to us and his other stations frequently.

We ended the meal with a red velvet cake to take back to our hotel after traversing the wind road back to "civilization". The cake was well prepared, tasteful and moist.

I would call this place a "find" with excellent service, good food and worth the wait, but not much longer of a wait.

ldomsher@aol.com
“Birthday Reservation”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Had made reservations a week earlier for a party of 8 which included a high chair for an eleven month old. Arrived and there were no high chairs available, they were all in use. I pointed out they knew a high chair was requested in the reservation. The hostess kept wanting to give us a booster seat, an infant will fall off a booster seat, but she kept insisting. My daughter held her but they were able to locate a high chair within 10 minutes.

My one criticism is this is the only restaurant in the area that charges 50 cents for sour cream for your baked potato and 75 cents for blue cheese salad dressing. If you are paying $20 for a walleye fillet, this seems excessive. One of the guests, "I haven't seen a restaurant do this in years."

We were seated in the Tavern side as the restaurant side was not able to accommodate our party because of several large parties sitting there. It was okay except the noise level made it difficult to hear when trying to carry on conversations.

I got a salad but as I started eating the salad I developed asthma issues when eating and fear that they had used SULFITES preservative on their lettuce. The Restaurant association banned this substance because of severe allergies to it. My bronchial passages started restricting. I asked for hot coffee which helped, then went back to the salad and after several reactions I determined this was the problem. I've been hospitalized for an anaphylaxis 30 years ago from consuming fruit with Sulfites preservative on it. Troubled that someone used it on their produce but it could have arrived that way from their supplier without their knowledge.

They are known for the steaks and ribs but everyone in out party ordered fish and chicken. The food was good. Everyone loved the food, we had brought a German Chocolate cake to celebrate my twin brother and me birthday.

There was a 90 minute wait at 5:30 if you didn't have reservations and when we left at 7:30 heard it was a couple hours. The restaurant is extremely popular.

They do reservations for more than four persons, unless they have changed their reservation policy.

• Visited February 2013