“Excellent food”

Ranked #18 of 787 Restaurants in Dayton
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Jay's Seafood Restaurant has been family owned and operated for 41 years. Specializing in fresh seafood, steaks and fine wine at reasonable prices. Our story is rich in history. During the period ranging into the late 1800's, Dayton was one of the leading areas in the nation for flour milling. One of these mills, located on the Miami Erie Canal, was known as the Joseph Kratochwill Dayton Corn and Grist Mill. This building was constructed in the 1850's. Ladies and Gentlemen, tonight you are dining in the former Dayton Corn and Grist Mill.. In 1882, James Jacob Ritty opened the Pony House Restaurant. He commissioned wood carvers from Barney and Smith Car Works to turn 5,400 pounds of Honduras Mahogany into a bar. The fruit of their labors is the bar you now see standing in Jay's. Join us seven nights a week for a great dining experience
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Good food, a little pricey, nicely decorated. Service was a little slow. Overall good experience. I would go back if I could afford it again.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

The appetizers were great from the Artichoke Hearts to the Mussels, Oysters and Crab Cakes. Some thoroughly enjoyed the main courses of salmon and various other fish. Others loved the King Crab and shrimp. I found the scallops wonderful - the only problem was trying to decide what sauce to select because they all sounded great! The waitress helped us select great white wines that went well with our meals. The creme brule is one of the best I've ever eaten... and I've eaten many because it's one of my favorite desserts.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

We chose Jay's to celebrate a birthday and they didn't disappoint. I ate a steamed Maine lobster that was cooked to perfection! None of the chewy, tough stuff of mid-western microwaved lobster.
We also got a yummy cake (chocolate!) for the birthday boy.

My last experience with Jay's had kept me away for a while. There are better, cheaper places to eat with consistent quality food. It was good to return and find the quality is back.

Reviewed September 26, 2012

4 guys traveling and we all had fish, including the snapper and the swordfish, greek style and the special. All was good, salads were excellent, we found it out of the blue, hope you try it!

Reviewed September 18, 2012

Only one half bottle of white wine on a 20+ page list. A seafood restaurant serving fresh oysters that isn't familiar with mignonette sauce? Metallic-tasting (canned?) lobster roll. Mussels in a flavorless broth that resulted in extreme instestinal distress. Avoid this place!

2  Thank Leslie P

Been to Jay's Seafood Restaurant? Share your experiences!