“Great food!”

Cuisines: Sushi, Asian, Chinese, Japanese
Lac du Flambeau, Wisconsin
“Great food!”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

We have eaten here many times, as it is a family favorite. We went in to pick up lunch today and eat at home. General Tso's, sweet and sour and garlic chicken were all as delicious as ever. You get the entree on rice along with an egg roll for just over $5; a great lunch deal and plenty of food. Tucked into a small strip mall on Wilmington and not terribly difficult to find. Some of, if not the, best Asian food in the Dayton area!

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank FLWfan

Dayton, Ohio, United States
“Superlative oriental hole-in-the-wall!”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

If you're in a city of any size, you have access to oriental restaurants that spring up in little storefronts in second- or third-tier strip malls. They'll offer a lot of the standard Chinese or Viet or Japanese fare, in most cases the food will be OK but not great, and they'll have limited seating and will do a lot of carry-out.

Well, here's another of them, but with this delightful difference: the food is terrific!

Our most recent stop happened on a Sunday just before closing. They don't, alas, have Sunday alcohol sales (what is this, South Carolina?) so we could not indulge in a Sapporo. Their hot tea, a nice green brewed from loose powder, was a decent substitute.

We began with the sashimi appetizer, five clumps of sticky rice, two topped with some kind of whitefish, one tuna, one salmon, one shrimp. I'm pretty fussy about sushi-style cookery and I only want to eat it where I respect and trust the chefs; previous visits here made me bold enough to give them a try, and the product was satisfying.

My wife had the Mai Fun noodles with roasted pork. I got a forkful and it was spectacular; rice noodles perfectly al dente and flavors rich and balanced.

My chicken egg fu yung was wonderful. The flavors of the crispy egg cakes themselves were deep, and they serve the savory dark brown sauce on the side so you can have as much or as little as you like--and my choice based on the taste was to have much. They serve them on a bed of lettuce, with white rice also on the side; I am limiting my carbs so I passed on the steamed rice, a good option for any diner with similar concerns.

So this is not the finest of dining, but it's not trying to be. The decor is oriental kitsch, wall hangings and paper lanterns. The furniture is a little tired. The service is attentive but casual--our entrees arrived quite a few minutes apart. But if you've a desire for superbly prepared standard oriental foods, this place is a bargain and a treasure!

• Visited July 2013
2 Thank TR26
Dayton, Ohio, United States
“Great food, good prices, fun people.”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

We eat here often and also order take out from them, either way the food is excellent and good value. Their menu is a mixture of Chinese and Japanese food and for the less adventurous they also offer a few American options. Their sushi is fantastic, for those who are worried about raw food they also offer cooked sushi. They are a small restaurant so sometimes there is a bit of a wait but it is well worth it. They have combination platters which are a very good deal, too much for me to eat in one sitting so have a lunch for the next day all for under $10.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank GoonerTJ
“Great locally owned Japanese/Chinese food!”
Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

I requested this restaurant be added toTrip Advisor! Small restaurant with great food, fantastic presentation, and very friendly service! They serve alcohol too! I'm sure I will regret making them known on Trip Advisor but they deserve the attention! Had very fresh sushi ( the tuna was so tender and fresh!). Our 20 yr old daughter had the seafood medley with tender scallops, shrimp and salmon! She loved it and the very clean atmosphere. We had oolong tea and it came with the leaves in a beautiful big tea cup! It's small so go early or be prepared to wait!

1 Thank Jrpatterson

Been to CJ Chans? Share your experiences!