“Great history”

33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Great history”
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Very well preserved with an nice, informative annex. However, it is only open 2 partial days a week, or by reservation.

Visited August 2012

Dayton
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“History”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

It's great how we have a small piece of history right in our own back yard. I love taking my out of state family members on the tour so they can really learn who this great man was.

Warren, MI
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“Won a few of his contests--great to see the house”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

The house was closed when we were there, but it was an awesome feeling to stand on the porch of such a great poet! He must have been an affluent citizen as this house is HUGE!!!

Visited January 2013
Cape Town Central, South Africa
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“FINALLY, a visit to Paul Laurence Dunbar's Home”
Reviewed December 1, 2012

Visit to the home of Paul Laurence Dunbar, Dayton, Ohio:

As I was planning my first trip to Dayton, Ohio, to visit a friend, whom I had not seen in 12 years, I knew that I needed and wanted to visit the Dunbar Museum. As I was reading through the information on the museum, warm memories of the lines from, The Master Player, and We wear the Mask, came to mind…and after reading, Among items on display are Dunbar's bicycle built by the Wright brothers…, I was looking forward to viewing the bicycle…and, further, when I read that also in high school, Dunbar became friends with Orville and Wilbur Wright, who helped Dunbar build a bicycle, that further piqued my curiousity.

First, we viewed a video on Mr Dunbar’s life and afterwards, our superb guide, Josh, took us around the Visitor Centre, before walking us through the Dunbar home. We were a very small group and we asked many questions.

The guide, presented excellent and detailed information about Mr Dunbar, how he bought the house for his mother, as well as the plot next to the house, so that she would not feel ‘crowded’; he also told us how the Orville brothers arranged for Mr Dunbar’s body to be moved to a ‘better’ part of the cemetery so that he could have a dignified burial site and how the brothers also buried his late sister, Elizabeth (who died at the age of three), and later his mother, Matilda, in the same area. Josh shared so many cherished and personal details of Mr Dunbar that I do not wish to spoil it, if any of the readers plan to visit…trust me, it is worth a visit.

I had not visited a museum in a very long time, but came away feeling warm and sad – the guide and visit were excellent; I was sad that Paul Dunbar died at such an early age, and I just loved one of his photographs, where he looks like someone’s little brother and that left me with a warm and fuzzy feeling; then…the bicycle, which I was so happy to see. The feelings that I needed and wanted to visit the Dunbar Home more than met my expectations…two thumbs up…to Josh and the Museum.

We visited the Dunbar Museum on Friday, 28 September 2012.

Visited September 2012
2 Thank monicaj06
Terre Haute
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Amazing accomplishments”
Reviewed July 10, 2012

This man accomplished much in his short life time. His success was well deserved.

Visited July 2012
2 Thank dmbakerphd

Been to Paul Laurence Dunbar House? Share your experiences!