“History”

Paul Laurence Dunbar House
Ranked #23 of 64 things to do in Dayton
Reviewed April 8, 2013

It's great how we have a small piece of history right in our own back yard. I love taking my out of state family members on the tour so they can really learn who this great man was.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

The house was closed when we were there, but it was an awesome feeling to stand on the porch of such a great poet! He must have been an affluent citizen as this house is HUGE!!!

Reviewed December 1, 2012

Visit to the home of Paul Laurence Dunbar, Dayton, Ohio:

As I was planning my first trip to Dayton, Ohio, to visit a friend, whom I had not seen in 12 years, I knew that I needed and wanted to visit the Dunbar Museum. As I was reading through the information on the museum, warm memories of the lines from, The Master Player, and We wear the Mask, came to mind…and after reading, Among items on display are Dunbar's bicycle built by the Wright brothers…, I was looking forward to viewing the bicycle…and, further, when I read that also in high school, Dunbar became friends with Orville and Wilbur Wright, who helped Dunbar build a bicycle, that further piqued my curiousity.

First, we viewed a video on Mr Dunbar’s life and afterwards, our superb guide, Josh, took us around the Visitor Centre, before walking us through the Dunbar home. We were a very small group and we asked many questions.

The guide, presented excellent and detailed information about Mr Dunbar, how he bought the house for his mother, as well as the plot next to the house, so that she would not feel ‘crowded’; he also told us how the Orville brothers arranged for Mr Dunbar’s body to be moved to a ‘better’ part of the cemetery so that he could have a dignified burial site and how the brothers also buried his late sister, Elizabeth (who died at the age of three), and later his mother, Matilda, in the same area. Josh shared so many cherished and personal details of Mr Dunbar that I do not wish to spoil it, if any of the readers plan to visit…trust me, it is worth a visit.

I had not visited a museum in a very long time, but came away feeling warm and sad – the guide and visit were excellent; I was sad that Paul Dunbar died at such an early age, and I just loved one of his photographs, where he looks like someone’s little brother and that left me with a warm and fuzzy feeling; then…the bicycle, which I was so happy to see. The feelings that I needed and wanted to visit the Dunbar Home more than met my expectations…two thumbs up…to Josh and the Museum.

We visited the Dunbar Museum on Friday, 28 September 2012.

2  Thank monicaj06
Reviewed July 10, 2012

This man accomplished much in his short life time. His success was well deserved.

2  Thank dmbakerphd
Reviewed March 27, 2012

We were disappointed. There was not a lot about Mr. Dunbar. We walked away empty handed.

1  Thank E L

Been to Paul Laurence Dunbar House? Share your experiences!