“Will Visit Again (and Again)!”
Review of Taste

Taste
Ranked #228 of 773 Restaurants in Dayton
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 3, 2014

We have been to Taste twice and both times (both on Groupons) were very enjoyable experiences. The menu is quite interesting...that is self-described as: "we specialize in Cajun and Creole cuisine with a touch of Southern flair". It has been a few months since last eating here and in looking over their website, I see that there is a new Executive Chef who has worked his way up within this restaurant.

Their food is very tasty (no pun intended). The portions are not huge but adequate for a normal appetite. The prices are a little steep but not unreasonable taking into account the apparent freshness and quality, the wonderful atmosphere (more later) and great service. The value is considerably more enhanced if you take advantage of their Groupon offers!

The Taste "experience" is not limited to the food, decor and service. They have live entertainment on Friday and Saturday evenings. Most of the entertainment is a mix nearly as eclectic as their menu with a leaning toward Jazz and R&B. Check out their website (http://daytontaste.com) to see who is scheduled.

Bottom line...Taste is extremely unique and in a totally good way.

Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

We have tried Taste several times and nothing is ever good. The first time I ordered tilapia and they served me catfish and would not believe me. I can taste the difference! The next time, I avoided fish and went with steak. It was overcooked. I sent it back. Nothing redeeming.

3  Thank jennrn915
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Revisited Taste after going there right after they opened. The staff was very friendly and accommodating, and we enjoyed the jazz ensemble that started playing about 8:00.

We started with martini's at the bar as it was happy hour when we arrived. I was disappointed that the Tastini was not on the happy hour menu, so I had a vodka martini instead. It was so, so and was served without olives. Maybe olives had to be requested?

Our friends arrived and we were seated and had lovely server named DJ. We ordered appetizers of BBQ shrimp and grits and truffle fries. The shrimp was tasty and there were a good amount of them, however the grits were rather dry. I would have like to see them a bit creamier. The fries were delicious although my husband thought they were breaded a bit too much.

My husband was going to order the half chicken, thinking it was going to be the standard four pieces, however after checking with DJ it seems that it is not a true half chicken only leg and thigh. This item maybe should be revisited on the menu and listed correctly.

I was the lone adventurer at the table and ordered the Lump Crab Penne. It was very good, lots of crab and the sauce was not too thick so that you couldn't taste the crab. The rest of my party all ordered the short ribs, which were very tender and flavorful.

I had two different glasses of wine, which I was happy with both selections that were made by DJ, they more than made up for the not so good martini.

Reviewed January 5, 2013

Creative dishes both in name and in construction. I had the salmon, fried green tomatoes, and smoked turkey collards. For dessert, I had sweet potato praline. To drink, I had the tastini and desperate housewive. My partner had the southern fried chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans, and taste salad (which seemed like caesar salad but with several added ingredients). Everything was excellent.

The restaurant had a nice ambiance to it. I was under the impression that the restaurant was located in a marginal area of town, but I saw no problems. Although it was nightime, it looked safe and in good repair to me.

The only complaint I have is the service was a little slow.

Reviewed December 22, 2012

Loved this place! Have driven past it several times thinking we should try it. We did last night and it was amazing! Our server, Joshua, was superb. We tried the gumbo, the beef medallions and the cajun shrimp fettucini... they all way exceeded our expectations. The manager and owner made a point of stopping by our table to make sure everything was AOK. Then a jazz band set up and began playing. They were very enjoyable. It was a wonderful evening and we'll certainly be back!!

1  Thank rebeccaj5622