Tripadvisor
Dayton

“OMG how is this place not packed?”
Review of Tank's Bar & Grill

Tank's Bar & Grill
Ranked #59 of 812 Restaurants in Dayton
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night
Reviewed January 21, 2020 via mobile

After 10 years in Dayton and being a breakfast connoisseur I have finally found the place I will go to forever. Giant portions of yummy food. Terrific service - timely, friendly, able. The decor is definitely that of a dive bar but don't let that stop you. I will be back often.

Note: I'm not a 5 star raver. Check my reviews; over 400 from around the globe including some of the very best places. Seldom do I give 5 stars. This isn't 5 stars cuz it's cheap. It's just plane great breakfast. See you there.

Date of visit: January 2020
Write a reviewReviews (154)

Reviewed January 1, 2020

I got the Reuben my friend got the Mac and cheese with sweet potato fries. Both were yummy and big portions. Priced Right and the staff was awesome.

Date of visit: December 2019
Reviewed November 6, 2019

Nestled into one of Dayton’s older neighborhoods, Tank’s is a local tavern that always has a waiting list, but the food is worth the wait! Excellent breakfast menu, signature hamburgers and reasonably priced drinks. I enjoyed it.

1  Thank PamGlinski
Reviewed October 31, 2019

Excellent food in large quantities., While close to University of Dayton it attracts a diverse older crowd. Burgers, pancakes, waffles all excellent. Omelets come in Ten egg size and The Girlie is a 5 egg omelet.

Reviewed October 8, 2019

Last night, I had what was easily the strangest experience at a restaurant in my adult life. I went to Tanks with a group of 7 other adults for dinner and a couple of drinks. We ordered our drinks and when mine arrived, I questioned the drink which was supposed to be a Moscow Mule (I did ask before ordering if they could make one and was told a very enthusiastic YES!). What I received was described by the waitress as a shot of tequila and ginger beer, served in a pint glass. I told her that wasn't right, so apologized and said she would fix it.

I saw her having a conversation with a group of other staff at the bar, so I went up to chat. We started talking about what was in one and I gave up the recipe. It was all a very friendly conversation. Another lady, who was apparently the bartender, came up and headed off to make the drink. I asked her what my options were for vodka and we settled on Gray Goose. When she started pouring the vodka in a pint glass, I asked her if we could have a conversation before she made the drink. She seemed very annoyed, but came down the bar to where I was. I asked her what she planned to do and she tells me that she always makes it in a pint glass because they have a policy that you have to buy the entire bottle of ginger beer. I told her I had no problem buying the bottle of beer, but I'd likely get a couple of them, so I'd like to get the portions right rather than just dumping the entire bottle in. She raised her voice and told me that she has been bartending for 10 years and *this* is how they are made and asked if I wanted it. I said no, I don't think I do at this point and started walking back towards the table. She said that was good because she wasn't making anything for me and in fact, I should just leave. I stopped and said "what?" - in fact, I really didn't hear her. She then told me to "get the hell out before she called the cops". I told her that I would comply and went back towards my friends to tell them that I was leaving. She came out from around the bar and started yelling at us that everyone who had actually been served a drink needed to pay for it and we needed to leave immediately. We all left, completely confused as to what just happened.

Needless to say, we will never be back. As I understand, the original owner died and the place is NOT the same. It's very sad. For reference, I've been a manager for 25 years, including several restaurants over the years. I've been yelled at, threatened, and even had food thrown at me, and at no time have I ever treated a customer the way I was treated last night. There's no room in the service industry for someone like this.

Date of visit: October 2019

Been to Tank's Bar & Grill? Share your experiences!