“Really Great Service - - Better Than A Few Years Ago”
Review of Dayton Grand Hotel

Dayton Grand Hotel
Ranked #34 of 46 Hotels in Dayton
Reviewed April 13, 2010

I used to stay in The Doubletree years ago when it first converted from Radisson. The accomodations were "okay" and I ended up staying at The Crowne Plaza just a few blocks away instead. But this latest trip back to my hometown lead me back to The Doubletree for another try as I heard it had been renovated a couple years ago.

For this stay I was able to book a military/govt rate for a corner room. WOW, the suite REALLY exceeded my expectations. It was a corner, two room suite. Walk in the door...to the right, a very large living area with sofa, desk, lounge chair, fridge, big TV and windows that opened. Go left from the front door and you go into a HUGE bedroom with another desk, 3 large windows that opened, a king bed, another TV, coffee maker, the bathroom, and a VERY large walk-in closet.

The rooms were tidy and clean (and I make a big deal about rooms that aren't clean). There were plenty of towels and extra pillows on the bed as requested when I made my reservations. I had also requested a few bottles of water and soda, all of which was in the fridge when I arrived. Excellent!

More importantly than the rooms was the EXCELLENT service I received throughout my stay. In particular, Patrick at the front desk was overly memorable. He did everything to ensure I had a great stay. I was booked for 4 nights, checked out and went to the airport. My flight was cancelled so I returned to the hotel and Patrick checked me right back in onto my same bill (but in a different corner room that was equally as nice). I stayed an additional night. The next day my rebooked flight didn't depart until later in the day and they were kind enough to let me stay in the room with a late checkout time of 3PM. It really helped because I work from home (or from where ever I may be at the time) so I was able to work from the hotel all day.

It was really excellent! I can't wait to return home to visit my family/friends so I can stay at The Doubletree again.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo

Reviewed April 8, 2010

The hotel needed some updating but offered a clean and pleasant stay in fairly close proximity to Dayton Airport in downtown Dayton. I can't exactly heap praise on Dayton, but the hotel offers reasonable rates for reasonable rooms. I would stay here again, if my travels bring me back to Dayton.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo
Reviewed April 4, 2010

This is a hotel that is behind the times. It never occurred to me to ask for a non-smoking room, so I was surprised to find an ash tray, book of matches and a strong smell of stale cigarette smoke on entering my room. While the room is comfortable, the bathroom is small and the A/C struggles to keep the room cool (it looks old) and I am writing this in April.

In addition there is a $10 per day charge for internet access and another $10 for parking.

By the time you add up the additional charges will get better value at another hotel chain. The Double Tree is trying to be something it is not, a top rated hotel offering premier facilities. My advice, ban smoking in ALL rooms. In this day and age it is perfectly acceptable to charge a cleaning fee for people who wish to smoke in their room.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed March 10, 2010

Friendly, helpful staff. Valet and front desk very accommodating. Chocoloate chip cookies upon arrival were very warmly received! Needed directions and front desk printed them out for us. Showing its age somewhat, but overall very beautiful still. Ordered room service breakfast. Food hot, good, and on time. Bathroom in our king room was somewhat small, but up to date. Wolfgang Puck coffee delicious. I'm very sensitive about noise, so had to unplug refrigerator in order to get to sleep. No glasses in bathroom, only cups for coffee.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Aftonrd
Reviewed March 1, 2010

We visited Dayton for a girls weekend to see "Wicked" and had a fantastic experience at the Doubletree. From the delicious warm cookies upon check in to the FREE hotel shuttle that takes you anywhere in a 5-miles radius of the hotel (such a perk!!), we were treated like royalty. We got a fantastic deal on Expedia ($60/night) and couldn't believe how nice our 9th floor room was.

And the staff! So friendly and helpful. There isn't much to see in downtown Dayton, but the front desk staff quickly recommended the nearby Oregon District with its myriad restaurant and bars (5th Street Deli was fantastic), and we were just around the corner from the gorgeous Schuster Center, where we saw "Wicked." They also recommended a great brunch spot, The Brunch Club, and we heard all about the local pizza favorite Cousin Vinny's from our shuttle drivers. We utilized the free shuttle quite a bit, so we got to know the valet staff pretty well. Another perk was the valet parking, which is $10 per day -- completely worth it.

The gym is small but sufficient with state-of-the-art equipment, and the pool and hot tub were a nice post-workout treat. The Polo Club, the in-house restaurant, was good, although menu selection was a little limited.

We also had the treat of celebrity-spotting: The entire cast of "Wicked" stayed at the Doubletree, as did Eddie Griffin (Undercover Brother), the headliner at the Funny Bone. We shared an elevator with him!

The only thing that was annoying was that we could hear a lot from our next-door neighbors' room in the wee hours of morning on our first night there. And then the next night when we were talking in our room around midnight at a normal voice level, we got a knock on our door from our neighbors on the other side, who requested that we keep it down. So the walls must be pretty thin if they were able to hear us talking.

But otherwise, the staff was exceptionally accommodating and we couldn't have been happier with our stay. If I ever visit Dayton again, I would definitely stay here or recommend it to friends and family.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 7, 2010

I selected the Doubletree Dayton Downtown for the location and as a Hilton HHonors card holder. Unfortunately my overall experience is not what I’ve come to expect from the Hilton family of hotels.

As previous reviewers have stated, the building is over 100 years old. I hoped for a bit of character, but it was more old and tired than historic. My room was a Junior Suite on the Executive Level. The room was spacious and included a sitting area with pull out couch, television, and microwave, and a large bedroom with king bed, television, mini-refrigerator, desk, and coffee maker. The bathroom was of average hotel size. The room was extremely warm, even after turning the heat to the coolest setting. My room faced the street (the hotel is on a corner, so most rooms are) and the old single-pane windows didn’t do much to reduce traffic noise and sirens. The room was very tired looking, the bedroom TV was too small for the distance it sat from the bed, and the curtains looked terrible. The bathroom was nicely appointed with a granite shower and vanity. Unfortunately it was very poorly installed. Caulking of seams was incomplete, and silicon sealant around the faucet and shower head was globed on heavily and it looked very unprofessional. Also the wallpaper was pealing in a few areas. Ordinarily I could excuse the room condition but this was the “executive level” and a “suite”. For the price, the quality just didn’t match. Due to the traffic noise, heat, and very dry air it was a poor night’s sleep, even by hotel standards.

The hotel restaurant left much to be desired. I stood at the maitre d’ station for several minutes before the only waiter came by and noticed me. I was seated in one of the two small and completely empty dining rooms. The menu was priced like a fine restaurant, but the plain walls, simple furniture, and silk flowers on the table didn’t match. The waiter was friendly, but no more than necessary and seemed rather apathetic. They were out of the salad dressing I ordered and also sour cream for the baked potato. Later at the bar I heard another customer told that they were out of amaretto liqueur, both top shelf and house brand. The food was decent overall, but I’ve had better steaks from the medium-price chains. Also, the steak was cut nearly in half, assumingly to check for doneness. Admittedly it was spot-on, but a fine dining restaurant should be able to cook a steak to order without cutting into it.

I intended to check out the fitness center and pool. They are in an atrium style enclosure on the 7th floor with what appeared to be a nice city view. The hotel brochure in the room indicated the hours were 6 AM – 11 PM, however upon arrival the door indicated the closing time was 10 PM so I was unable to enter.

One part of the hotel I did enjoy was the bar. It’s a small English style bar, but it had an impressive liquor selection including all the staples plus single-malt scotches and a few Cognacs. The beer selection is limited due to space, with a few domestics and a few specialty beers that rotate. The bar tender was impressively knowledgeable about beer and liquor. He spoke of beers we may enjoy based on our preferences, and educated myself and some other patrons on the origins and manufacturing process of various bourbons, scotches, and whiskey. Of all the staff I encountered, he is certainly the hotel’s most valuable asset.

Use of the attached parking garage is by valet only, at a charge of $10. Also, the warm chocolate chip cookie received upon arrival at the front desk is just as good as everyone has said. In short, it was simply perfect in every regard: the warm gooey chocolate, size, flavor, and texture.

In summary, if you go to this hotel expecting the usual quality of the Hilton family of hotels you’re just not going to find it. For the list pricing of $90-$120 you will most likely be disappointed. Some reviewers mentioned getting a room for $40/night. At that rate it would certainly be a great value. I would consider staying there again for such a deal, but definitely not for full price.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
DoubletreeDayton, General Manager at Dayton Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2010

In response to the review by a "mostly disappointed" guest. I am terribly sorry any guest had this type of experience at our hotel. This is certainly not typical and we obviously should have offered some type of resolution before you left the property to make you happy. Our bartender Dan is outstanding - as mentioned, thank you for those kind words, I will be sure to let him know. I believe we have a truly service oriented staff that will do what ever it takes to make the guest happy if we know about the problems before departing the hotel. The room mentioned has been placed in out of order status to make the appropriate repairs as well as showing housekeeping/maintenance so these rooms are taken out immediately before being given to a guest. It is a beautiful historical building with an awesome staff, we promise to meet/exceed your expectations. Please let us know if you have problems during your stay, we will do what's necessary to make you happy!

Reviewed November 30, 2009

I bid this hotel on priceline.com and got it for $41 per single night stay. Boy was I eager to check out the next morning. Not only the noise from the street down below was annoying, the 3:30AM crowd kicked out by the local bars provide me a long sleepless night.

So don't pay more than $40 for 2 cookies (they will add $10 for parking if you drive).
No free internet, no free breakfast, no free parking. Do you really want to sacrafice all these for the cookie?

I'll bid away from downtown Dayton if ever I travel through here, which happened to be my first time.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple