“We were treated like royalty!” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Dayton Grand Hotel
Ranked #35 of 45 Hotels in Dayton
Philadelphia
“We were treated like royalty!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2010

We visited Dayton for a girls weekend to see "Wicked" and had a fantastic experience at the Doubletree. From the delicious warm cookies upon check in to the FREE hotel shuttle that takes you anywhere in a 5-miles radius of the hotel (such a perk!!), we were treated like royalty. We got a fantastic deal on Expedia ($60/night) and couldn't believe how nice our 9th floor room was.

And the staff! So friendly and helpful. There isn't much to see in downtown Dayton, but the front desk staff quickly recommended the nearby Oregon District with its myriad restaurant and bars (5th Street Deli was fantastic), and we were just around the corner from the gorgeous Schuster Center, where we saw "Wicked." They also recommended a great brunch spot, The Brunch Club, and we heard all about the local pizza favorite Cousin Vinny's from our shuttle drivers. We utilized the free shuttle quite a bit, so we got to know the valet staff pretty well. Another perk was the valet parking, which is $10 per day -- completely worth it.

The gym is small but sufficient with state-of-the-art equipment, and the pool and hot tub were a nice post-workout treat. The Polo Club, the in-house restaurant, was good, although menu selection was a little limited.

We also had the treat of celebrity-spotting: The entire cast of "Wicked" stayed at the Doubletree, as did Eddie Griffin (Undercover Brother), the headliner at the Funny Bone. We shared an elevator with him!

The only thing that was annoying was that we could hear a lot from our next-door neighbors' room in the wee hours of morning on our first night there. And then the next night when we were talking in our room around midnight at a normal voice level, we got a knock on our door from our neighbors on the other side, who requested that we keep it down. So the walls must be pretty thin if they were able to hear us talking.

But otherwise, the staff was exceptionally accommodating and we couldn't have been happier with our stay. If I ever visit Dayton again, I would definitely stay here or recommend it to friends and family.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2010

I selected the Doubletree Dayton Downtown for the location and as a Hilton HHonors card holder. Unfortunately my overall experience is not what I’ve come to expect from the Hilton family of hotels.

As previous reviewers have stated, the building is over 100 years old. I hoped for a bit of character, but it was more old and tired than historic. My room was a Junior Suite on the Executive Level. The room was spacious and included a sitting area with pull out couch, television, and microwave, and a large bedroom with king bed, television, mini-refrigerator, desk, and coffee maker. The bathroom was of average hotel size. The room was extremely warm, even after turning the heat to the coolest setting. My room faced the street (the hotel is on a corner, so most rooms are) and the old single-pane windows didn’t do much to reduce traffic noise and sirens. The room was very tired looking, the bedroom TV was too small for the distance it sat from the bed, and the curtains looked terrible. The bathroom was nicely appointed with a granite shower and vanity. Unfortunately it was very poorly installed. Caulking of seams was incomplete, and silicon sealant around the faucet and shower head was globed on heavily and it looked very unprofessional. Also the wallpaper was pealing in a few areas. Ordinarily I could excuse the room condition but this was the “executive level” and a “suite”. For the price, the quality just didn’t match. Due to the traffic noise, heat, and very dry air it was a poor night’s sleep, even by hotel standards.

The hotel restaurant left much to be desired. I stood at the maitre d’ station for several minutes before the only waiter came by and noticed me. I was seated in one of the two small and completely empty dining rooms. The menu was priced like a fine restaurant, but the plain walls, simple furniture, and silk flowers on the table didn’t match. The waiter was friendly, but no more than necessary and seemed rather apathetic. They were out of the salad dressing I ordered and also sour cream for the baked potato. Later at the bar I heard another customer told that they were out of amaretto liqueur, both top shelf and house brand. The food was decent overall, but I’ve had better steaks from the medium-price chains. Also, the steak was cut nearly in half, assumingly to check for doneness. Admittedly it was spot-on, but a fine dining restaurant should be able to cook a steak to order without cutting into it.

I intended to check out the fitness center and pool. They are in an atrium style enclosure on the 7th floor with what appeared to be a nice city view. The hotel brochure in the room indicated the hours were 6 AM – 11 PM, however upon arrival the door indicated the closing time was 10 PM so I was unable to enter.

One part of the hotel I did enjoy was the bar. It’s a small English style bar, but it had an impressive liquor selection including all the staples plus single-malt scotches and a few Cognacs. The beer selection is limited due to space, with a few domestics and a few specialty beers that rotate. The bar tender was impressively knowledgeable about beer and liquor. He spoke of beers we may enjoy based on our preferences, and educated myself and some other patrons on the origins and manufacturing process of various bourbons, scotches, and whiskey. Of all the staff I encountered, he is certainly the hotel’s most valuable asset.

Use of the attached parking garage is by valet only, at a charge of $10. Also, the warm chocolate chip cookie received upon arrival at the front desk is just as good as everyone has said. In short, it was simply perfect in every regard: the warm gooey chocolate, size, flavor, and texture.

In summary, if you go to this hotel expecting the usual quality of the Hilton family of hotels you’re just not going to find it. For the list pricing of $90-$120 you will most likely be disappointed. Some reviewers mentioned getting a room for $40/night. At that rate it would certainly be a great value. I would consider staying there again for such a deal, but definitely not for full price.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
      Sleep Quality
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
DoubletreeDayton, General Manager at Dayton Grand Hotel, responded to this review, February 19, 2010
In response to the review by a "mostly disappointed" guest. I am terribly sorry any guest had this type of experience at our hotel. This is certainly not typical and we obviously should have offered some type of resolution before you left the property to make you happy. Our bartender Dan is outstanding - as mentioned, thank you for those kind words, I will be sure to let him know. I believe we have a truly service oriented staff that will do what ever it takes to make the guest happy if we know about the problems before departing the hotel. The room mentioned has been placed in out of order status to make the appropriate repairs as well as showing housekeeping/maintenance so these rooms are taken out immediately before being given to a guest. It is a beautiful historical building with an awesome staff, we promise to meet/exceed your expectations. Please let us know if you have problems during your stay, we will do what's necessary to make you happy!
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2009

I bid this hotel on priceline.com and got it for $41 per single night stay. Boy was I eager to check out the next morning. Not only the noise from the street down below was annoying, the 3:30AM crowd kicked out by the local bars provide me a long sleepless night.

So don't pay more than $40 for 2 cookies (they will add $10 for parking if you drive).
No free internet, no free breakfast, no free parking. Do you really want to sacrafice all these for the cookie?

I'll bid away from downtown Dayton if ever I travel through here, which happened to be my first time.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
Indianapolis
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2009

Lovely hotel right in downtown Dayton. The desk clerk was amazing unwelcoming, but the room was quite clean and pleasant. It was not "small," but the bathroom was the smallest bathroom I have ever seen. Not a problem, though. There was a little street noice early Monday morning -- enough to waken us -- but otherwise a pleasant stay. Parking is by valet at $10 a night. If you're staying over the weekend, you can probably park on the street right out front. There is not much going on in downtown Dayton, but this is reasonably close to the convention center and just a short drive from the Oregon district.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank richnindy
Phoenix, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2009

I usually stay at Westins, so when I have to stay in smaller cities that don't have better hotels, it is usually with dread. But the Doubletree in Dayton was a nice surprise. The customer service was amazing. Three staff members went out of their way to provide assistance above and beyond their job. I was also very impressed to see one of the Doubletree staff members provide assistance to a homeless women who needed a hand outside of the hotel -- how many times have you seen that outside of a hotel? This hotel is run and staffed by people who care about people.

Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Indianapolis, IN
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2009

I have to say that based on the price I paid on a discount site ($40/night) it was a reasonable hotel. However the normal rate of over $100/night is excessive. The rooms are quite small in comparison to newer hotels, which I suppose should be expected given that it is housed in a historic building. They are small boxes with bathrooms, that have somewhat dated decor and appointments. Everything in the hotel just seemed a bit old and need of some renovations. When looking for an ice machine, there was only one working one on the 9th floor.

The only way that I would recommend this hotel is if you get a deeply discounted price.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
slough
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2009

The hotel was beautiful very nicely decorated good location breakfast was great has a wonderful pool over looking the city, if your in Dayton this is the place to stay, this is where President Obama stays when he is in Town.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled on business