“elevator was almost a trap”
Review of Dayton Grand Hotel

Dayton Grand Hotel
Ranked #34 of 45 Hotels in Dayton
Reviewed December 9, 2013

We stayed here for a girl's night out due to location. The bathroom had dirty corners and towels. Our second room's heater got stuck on all night, and it was a sauna. The elevator on the right had unpredictable doors that "bounced" open and shut when you were lucky and refused to open (without a considerable delay) when you were not. Also there seemed to be direct access from the street parking garage entrance to any of the floors. Pool is still closed. Staff was kind and helpful for ordering late night pizza, though.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Dayton Grand Hotel

Reviewed November 10, 2013 via mobile

I wanted to love this place which I helped my cousin pick out as the hotel of choice for her wedding guest.

Got in at 3:30 am on Thursday night - staff was great about getting rooms ready and we got to check in for Friday since it was so late. We essentially got 3 nights instead of 2!

Our rooms did not seem specifically reserved, we were not in blocks of rooms like expected. There beds were comfortable and the bedding very clean. My family members were given a room that smelled like smoke and asked for another room. There were no other double rooms available so they were given 2 king rooms for the same price.

Now for the bad stuff. The hotel has not yet been officially purchased by Double Tree so no neither the current owner or Hilton is putting money into the hotel. Everything is cracked. The heat is stuck on on the 9th floor so it was unbearable without the windows open and a fan. The vending machines have all been removed. The cleaning staff smokes in their areas so the elevator and halls often smell like smoke. The elevator is slow and won't take you past the 8th floor without a key. And to top it off, the receipt says checkout is noon but our keys stopped working at 11am

The staff tries hard and the valet staff is very nice but there was too much that should have been addressed. They tried for solutions but all in all there were too many problems to begin with.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed October 27, 2013

After reading the other reviews, I was sketchy but I love the idea of not staying in a chain hotel and this seemed to have a historical presence and the most recent review was good and they are renovating so how bad could it be-so we gave it a shot! The price was good. Let me begin with saying the staff was nice, especially the valet parking team and they seemed to genuinely care about this hotel-but they seem to be the only ones. We arrived super late at night, exhuasted or I would have demanded another room if I could have seen what we were sleeping in. The heat was stuck on, there was not a fridge, the tv was from 1980, the queen beds were doubles and that was the good stuff. The morning light brought filth in the clumps of dust that were falling out of the register above the bathroom vanity, there was hair and sticky stuff all over the tub, the shower head and faucet where not attached (and the blow dryer was also from 1980) and the toilet would not flush. I called the front desk from my cell phone since neither of the two phones in the room worked also. The very nice front desk person said she would send up a maintence man and i asked for another room, we were moved in 15 minutes. Our second room was slightly bigger but seemed to be clean on the surface until you caught a glimpse of the floor between the tub and the vanity or behind a chair, the heat was also stuck on and on high-however the windows opened ? Yes we were on the 9th floor and the windows opened completely up and there were not screens! Fortunately for us it was chilly outside and that helped to cool the room down until we were disable the heat while were waiting for the maintence man who never showed up. This room was also dirty but not as bad as the first and the toilet would not stop running which is better than not running at all. At least the shower head and faucet where attached to the wall with giant amounts of caulk-but the tub stopper was broken off with a sharp jagged point sticking straight up. I think our room had been renovated but the wall paper was peeling, the furniture was awkward the pictures where hung in strange places. In both rooms the bathrooms are extremely small, the kind you have kind of manuver around the door to be able to get inside to shut the door. The closets have mirrored doors and those are the only other mirrors in the room but there are no plugs near them so for those who need to get ready with a blow dryer or any electrical device the bathroom is the only option-which makes it difficult for more than one person to get ready at a time. The furniture and vanity were scratched up in both rooms. The pool and work out facility are still under renovation. I would definitely not stay here now, but will hope for the best in the future.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed October 19, 2013

I was slightly concerned by some of the reviews, but found non of the negative reviews to be true during our visit. Yes, this is an older hotel. But the staff was so friendly and helpful. We were downtown for an education conference. The conference ended hours after checkout. The valet agreed to keep our car well past checkout and the desk clerk offered we check our bags at the desk while we attended the conference. The free continental breakfast was more than adequate. It was an enjoyable stay.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Cindy S
Reviewed October 12, 2013

We were in town for the marathon and due to an early time to have to show up for the race, we decided that a close hotel was preferable to the drive. This was the only hotel that had any rooms left...and there is a reason.

When we arrived we were not aware that it was valet only parking...in fact, there wasn't even a sign put out. There was a sign. It was turned so that you only saw it after you entered the garage. When we asked the hotel staff questions about "where can we park?" "how much does it cost?", we got a few answers that quickly were proven to be lies. One desk clerk told us that the parking fee was waived for people in town for the marathon. The valet took personal offense to that and stormed in with us to tell the clerk that wasn't so. The clerk told us we could park on the street, but we'd have to keep going out and pay the meters constantly until after 6, when parking became free...if we wanted to do that. And we didn't. The clerk also told us that we could park across the street in the garage. That sounded fine to us, so as we started to head out we observed a very angry, well-dressed man storming from the parking garage across the street into the hotel garage. As he stormed in he yelled at the valet about telling people to park in his garage. He yelled at the valet a while and told them that his garage was not for their guests and that he was towing cars... and almost like it was rehearsed, there pulled in the tow truck. So we obviously didn't want to park there. We decided that we would just unload the car in the garage at the door, because the valet were "kindly" letting us do that if we could do it "quickly". We then headed out to the expo for the race and to get some dinner.

We returned to the hotel around 830pm and tried to pull into the garage, the valet sign was now visible from the road and it showed that the garage was full. We asked why the valet didn't have any more spaces for the hotel guests and how many guests were staying anyway? The valet told us that there was "a lot going on in town and everyone was parking in the garage". That's why there were no spaces. We parked on the street just outside the garage and went into the hotel to complain that the "hotel's garage was full of cars from other events around town". I also took the moment to voice annoyance with the run around the clerks gave us when we checked in, in reference to the 'places we were allowed to park". I also threw in a question about if there was going to be a breakfast since the restaurant was closed. The clerk apologized and told us that there was a "special breakfast to be set up for people involved with the marathon". I thought that was alright, and started to complain about something that we noticed about the room when we checked into it: The toilet didn't flush. The clerk stopped responding to us and when my husband asked to speak to the manager, she called in the valet supervisor. The valet supervisor got upset with us over the parking and told us, none to politely, that we" didn't have to F-ing stay there", and when I commented that we did because we paid for the room and there was no refunds in hotels...she stormed over to the clerk and had her set it up that our money would be refunded, then came back and said, "She's going to refund your money, get your f-ing a.. out of here and if I see you again I will call the police". Now, I'm game for a fight, but my husband pulled me aside and we decided just to go up and go to bed... it was now 11pm.

When we woke up the next morning, we packed up and headed out to the car, which (thankfully) wasn't damaged by the valet.... I didn't put anything past them. We loaded up and went in to ask the morning clerk about breakfast. She said that the restaurant was closed and that there was no breakfast offered at all in the hotel. When I told her what the clerk the night before said, she got panicky and said that she didn't know anything about that and that the restaurant was closed. I asked her if I could at least get a cup of coffee and use a toaster for my poptart. She allowed us to do that and we told her about everything from the night before. She was shocked with the situation and told us that the valet ISN'T EVEN ASSOCIATED WITH THE HOTEL. We told her about how we requested the manager the night before and that we got the valet instead. She apologized profusely and gave us the card for the manager.

Issues with the room: It was not the one matched with the price I paid as shown on website photos. It was tight quarters. The toilet did not work and there was no water pressure for the shower. Our room overlooked the alley with the electric / HVAC - whatever - thingies...it was machinery and it ran loudly all night. Two prostitutes outside of the hotel yelled obscenities and insults at us because my husband turned one of them down when we pulled up at the red light.
Issues with the hotel: Apparently they don't care that you're not allowed to park somewhere, they'll tell you to do it anyway. The staff are ridiculous liars and defer to the valet for everything - I guess they just don't want their manager to hear what's going on at night. It's probably still cheaper to pay the parking meter every time it runs out than to pay the valet to 'park' your car. I noticed the valet didn't like us pulling through to get our stuff out, but they had a very nice victory dance for all the money they were making because they were 'suddenly so busy" and "raking it in", as they hollered while we were passing back and forth through the entrance to figure out what to do with our car for the night. Needless to say, I did not feel safe with my car parked near the valet or the prostitutes.

The woman who worked the morning shift, whoever she was, did an excellent job and showed a lot of grace in dealing with a couple of people who just had the hotel representatives paint a terrible interaction with them all night.

In short, dear traveler.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Elie6
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Good: central Location, good Price and I had no problem finding a free curbside parking spot right in front of the hotel (I think free from 6 PM - 8 AM) and… nice and helpful personnel!
Bad: room was a bid run down, pool closed, breakfast limited and a few other little things I don’t remember anymore
Ugly: my room was not clean and I am not really picky

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

This was our second stay at Dayton Grand. We came for UD Family Weekend. This hotel is about a 5-7 min drive to campus which makes it very convenient.
First off we LOVED the valet parking. What a nice surprise and addition since last year! The attendants certainly hustled to service us.
We stayed in a suit which was very roomy. The bed super comfortable. We were told we would have a frig in room but there wasn't one upon arrival. Fifteen minutes after placing a call to the front desk a nice size frig was in place, cold, and ready to use! As In the past, staff is very friendly and accommodating.
Pool and restaurant were closed for renovation but we had been sent an email about this prior to our arrival.
Price is very reasonable. Just hope that doesn't sky rocket after all the renovations.
We enjoyed our two night stay and would recommend Dayton Grand for your future stay.

• Stayed: September 2013