“The good, the bad and the ugly”
Review of Dayton Grand Hotel

Dayton Grand Hotel
Ranked #32 of 45 Hotels in Dayton
Lucerne, Switzerland
“The good, the bad and the ugly”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Good: central Location, good Price and I had no problem finding a free curbside parking spot right in front of the hotel (I think free from 6 PM - 8 AM) and… nice and helpful personnel!
Bad: room was a bid run down, pool closed, breakfast limited and a few other little things I don’t remember anymore
Ugly: my room was not clean and I am not really picky

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

This was our second stay at Dayton Grand. We came for UD Family Weekend. This hotel is about a 5-7 min drive to campus which makes it very convenient.
First off we LOVED the valet parking. What a nice surprise and addition since last year! The attendants certainly hustled to service us.
We stayed in a suit which was very roomy. The bed super comfortable. We were told we would have a frig in room but there wasn't one upon arrival. Fifteen minutes after placing a call to the front desk a nice size frig was in place, cold, and ready to use! As In the past, staff is very friendly and accommodating.
Pool and restaurant were closed for renovation but we had been sent an email about this prior to our arrival.
Price is very reasonable. Just hope that doesn't sky rocket after all the renovations.
We enjoyed our two night stay and would recommend Dayton Grand for your future stay.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

Do your sanity and DO NOT STAY HERE!!! My boyfriend and I were in town for a wedding and I woke up covered, and I mean COVERED in bed bug bites!!! I'm not out two days of work from the steroids I'm now taking to combat this issue. When I called the manager to complain (after my doctors appointment, just to get confirmation that this is exactly what they were), the manager was extremely unhelpful and all he offered was his promise that their exterminator will be coming out tomorrow. STAY. AWAY.

1 Thank Kennedmp51

Travelers are raving about these Dayton hotels

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 29, 2013

We stayed here for the second time because it was Parents weekend at the University is Dayton where our daughter goes to school. Even though we weren't that thrilled with the hotel last year, it was the closest to campus that still had availability for the special weekend. It's not within walking distance to campus, but all other hotels (with the exception of one; the Marriott, that I've never been able to get a room) are a 10-15 min drive out, and this is less than 5 so we booked it knowing we'd be going back and forth to campus a lot.

Firstly, we got one of the last parking spots in their garage. It's valet, and they charge $12. They park the car, they don't help with luggage. Parking is very limited. Although one of the woman attendants told us that if you can't get a spot just park across the street at the garage all weekend--FOR FREE!

Secondly, the thermostat in our room did not work. This was our beef last year although our room was on a different floor. Do any of the rooms have air-conditioning? We were grateful to be able to open the window and there was not a lot of noise outside at night. Not even a lot of traffic so it was easy to sleep. Except that (thirdly) our room had an adjacent room that held 3 or 4 guys that came back about 4am to relive every minute of their night, until about 6am when I can only assume they finally fell asleep. I was happy for them. They apparently had a lot of fun at the wedding. The one danced with Cara all night...They're best friends...He's friends with a lot of older people....
We could hear EVERYTHING. No fault of the hotel they were loud, but that door between the two rooms must've been made of paper.

A couple other things: the toilet didn't fit in its area. You actually had to lean into the sink counter to use it. Weird. And the t.p. holder was falling off the wall. There were no mirrors in the room, and the tv was not a flat screen.

I'm not a complainer. Just giving you some fair warning before you book here. It's strange because I did get an email about a month prior to our stay telling me the hotel was under renovations but I saw nothing to indicate that was the case. We will not stay here again.

Parker, Colorado
Reviewed September 19, 2013

I was interested in staying there because it is right in the downtown area. Very convenient place from which to travel around town. The pool, restaurant and bar were closed while I was there, but I understood that before I got to town. On the positive side, the valet parking was 1st rate, and the room was pretty nice.

The maid service was odd because they didn't come until after 2:00 or so, so most days when I left in the morning and got back in the afternoon to get ready for my evening plans, my room wasn't cleaned yet. I stayed four nights and only one day did I synch with the maid on cleaning the room, and I don't even think there were that many people staying there when I was. I thought that was kind of weird.

My main problem had to do with the wiring in the room. I had my computer plugged in to the wall to charge it while I was using it (no power strip in the room), and I guess there was a power surge or something because my computer "popped" and didn't work again during my trip. My husband was able to bring it back to life once I returned home, but not having it while I was in Dayton was pretty inconvenient. When I plugged in my phone to charge, it got very hot and didn't keep a charge very long. I said something to a woman who was working the front desk about not having power strips, and she said they didn't need them because they had Wi-Fi (which did work really well), but I still think they need them because to me there was obviously something wrong with the outlets in the room.

Room Tip: Definitely use the valet parking. They were great!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Mark H, General Manager at Dayton Grand Hotel, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Thank you for sharing your feedback here on Tripadvisor. A “C” is certainly not our goal but is a place that we can start and work on improving from there.
Valet many times is the first and last impression that people get of our hotel and I’m glad to hear that yours was a positive one!!
You mentioned that your room was not serviced until 2pm each day, which you felt was “odd.” As I’m sure you can imagine when it comes to cleaning rooms, not every room can be “first.” There is a method to the room cleaning process and no matter how you do it, some rooms will get cleaned first and unfortunately, some will be cleaned last. With that said, if you have a specific time that you would like your room to be cleaned in the future, please let us know and we will make every effort to accommodate your request.
You had also mentioned the lack of or inadequate power sources in the rooms. Although we do not provide traditional power strips in the rooms, we do provide a very similar substitute that is installed on the sides of all our desks. There is a “strip” that will accommodate up to 3 plugs along with the lamp on the desk that will accommodate another 2 plugs. IN the future, should you require additional power sources, please contact us and we will do our best to satisfy your power needs.
Thank you again for your feedback and I hope that we’ll see you again in the near future.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 4, 2013

This hotel was centrally located near the university, and had several resturants nearby. The staff was kind and helpful. Average breakfast fare in the morning. We stayed in the king suite..and that was a great room.

Room Tip: ask for the king suite
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Mark H, General Manager at Dayton Grand Hotel, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Location, location, location right?!?! Being in downtown Dayton puts us in the center of a city that is starting its rebound. The new local restaurants bring an exciting energy to the area and our proximity to both the University of Dayton and Sinclair Community College make us the perfect place to stay when visiting downtown.
We’ve got some exciting renovations and improvements planned as well so I hope you visit us again soon!!
Thank you for sharing your feedback!
Jefferson City, Missouri
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Do not recommend; very outdated and nothing in vacinity to do; pool and restaurant were closed; rated 4 stars but should be 2 at most; do not stay here; super 8 is much better; no shopping in vicinity; few restaurants and those are below average; not clean

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Ohartra
Well you clearly were not impressed with the downtown Dayton area. As much as I would like to disagree…I can’t. Downtown Dayton is in transition and unfortunately is not at its best right now. With that said, there are a number of new restaurants within walking distance of the hotel as well as some well known chain stores and restaurants within a 15 minute drive.
The Dayton area has its challenges, but it has taken some bold steps to improve the area and that’s why we are optimistic about being a part of this community.
Regards,