“Better than Expected”
Review of Dayton Grand Hotel

Dayton Grand Hotel
Ranked #34 of 45 Hotels in Dayton
Reviewed May 6, 2013

We booked 2 King Suite rooms here for University of Dayton graduation because this was the only hotel with available space and allowing a one night stay. After reading online reviews, we braced for a poor experience. Fortunately, our experience was pleasant. The rooms were clean and well appointed. The bathrooms was very small, but everything worked just fine and our floor was nice and quiet. We heard that parking might be a problem, however we were able to find parking spaces available. Although I would not feel safe walking or running in the neighborhood around this hotel. I believe we had a much better deal than others staying in other hotels near the campus. I will call this a win!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank bbmuller
Mark H, General Manager at Dayton Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2013

Better than expected isn’t a home run, but it’s a hit so I’ll take it…for now.
I can’t dispute what you’ve heard/read here online unfortunately. All those things, at one time, probably were true. I’m pleased to read that your experience was better than those that came before and I can tell you that we are working hard to make your next stay, “Awesome, just as I expected!”
One of the many improvements we’ve made is that we’ve implemented mandatory valet parking so no more hunting for parking spots and walking through the garage.
As far as the surrounding area, that unfortunately I don’t have as much control over. What I can tell you is that we are committed to providing a safe and secure hotel experience. That means that we have been aggressive with those that “don’t belong” on our property and I am prepared to use all resources available to me to so.
We are going through an extensive renovation and conversion to a DoubleTree by Hilton. We are all excited about the upcoming improvements and changes so I hope that you’ll come back and give us a chance to WOW you!!

There are newer reviews for Dayton Grand Hotel

Reviewed May 5, 2013

Air conditioning barely worked and was noisy, elevators were scary, suspicious stains on furniture in the room, worst parking structure ever, not enough desk help. Worst place we ever stayed in.

Do yourself a favor ....... stay somewhere else!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Sandy W

Not sure that there’s anything that I could say here that would get you to try us again, but I can tell you, that may have been who we “were” but it is not who we “are” now.
We have invested a substantial amount of money, with more to come, to fix those very things that you mentioned. We have plans to make major repairs to the main chilling system that cools the building as well as the individual units that cool different areas throughout the building. The elevators are in the first stages of a major overhaul that will improve the feel and sound of the ride. The parking garage is on the list too. We implemented mandatory valet parking so that you never need to walk through the garage. You drop your car at the entrance and come on in; valet will take it from there. We will be resurfacing and making other improvements in the garage as well.
As far as the service is concerned, there are few things more important to me than training my people so that they are best prepared to service guests. I have been here about 7 weeks and it has been amongst my top priorities to improve the guest experience…period! That means hiring not necessarily more people, but the right people and training them thoroughly. I agree, some areas need additional manpower and I will address those needs as well.
The Dayton Grand that you visited back in May is not the Dayton Grand of today.
Thank you for your feedback and I hope someday you might find your way to giving us another try.
Be well,

Reviewed May 3, 2013

The hotel looked lovely online. The rooms were just like the pictures, but, the hotel was in financial difficulty and the owner was selling out. The cooling system wasn't working, most rooms had been robbed of things like coffee pots, hairdryers, refrigerators were missing, luggage racks were missing, and the indoor pool was and had been out of order for months. They didn't post that online.

Room Tip: I don't believe there is a good room there. Unless travelers camp at the front desk until the r...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank sewerSilverLake

Thank you for sharing your feedback.
The fact of the matter is that the hotel is in the process of changing ownership and unfortunately, the past is something that I can’t change, nor can I change a first impression.
What I can tell you is that we are committed to this hotel, and have already made a substantial financial commitment to its improvement…with more to come! We will be completely renovating the pool, overhauling the elevators, making major repairs to the heating and cooling systems, renovating our restaurant and lounge outlets, and have begun the process of converting to a DoubleTree by Hilton. We are all excited about the renovations and improvements so I hope if you find yourself in Dayton again, you’ll give us another try.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

I don't believe that I have ever been in a more disgusting hotel. We stayed overnight this past weekend on a groupon offer. Yikes! From now on, before I buy a groupon for a hotel, I will look here for reviews. Besides being disgusting, it was also eerie. We rarely saw anyone! There was no housekeeping and no one at the desk! The parking garage was scary. We had to park on the 4th floor and walk all the way down on the ramps. No stairs here! There was absolutely nothing "grand" about Dayton Grand Hotel.
If you are trying to save money, stay at a motel 6. I'm sure it will be better than this one.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Keekmeister65

I have been at this hotel for about 7 weeks now and I can tell you, reading these reviews is depressing…can’t lie about that. With that said I read the reviews before coming to Dayton and came anyway because I believe in the commitment that my company has to this hotel and this team.
We have already made a substantial financial commitment to its improvement. We will be completely renovating the pool, overhauling the elevators, and making major repairs to the heating and cooling systems. We have implemented mandatory valet parking so that you don’t need to navigate the parking garage again. Drop your car off at the entrance and valet takes it from there.
We have also have begun the process of converting to a DoubleTree by Hilton so our entire building will be getting a needed refresh.
We realize that if you want different results, you have to change how you operate and we have done exactly that!

Reviewed April 28, 2013

Please stay with me, as the review I am about to give will be quite lengthy, but the details of my experience need to be shared to understand the horror of this hotel. Please also note that I travel for my job and have stayed at many lovely hotels, which I have also reviewed on Trip-Advisor.

When I checked into the Dayton Grand, I immediately had to change rooms twice before settling into my 3rd room. The first room was on the 8th floor and stunk of stale cigarette smoke. The 2nd room was the size of a broom closet and had no ventilation what so ever and no windows that opened either. This hotel knew they had a big group coming, and yet I had to ask them to turn on the cooling system?! Which by the way still only worked in certain rooms; ridiculous. By this time, I had realized that the elevators were not only slow, but scary. They made an awful sound (like an old roller coaster) and they made for a bumpy ride. Note to self: take the stairs as often as possible. The 3rd room I was given was a room for people who were handicapped (I didn't want to take this room either but it was the only room left at this point). I could deal with a room that was sparsely furnished and had white stains on the wall. It did bother me that at 2am I could hear the ice machine, but I could deal with it. What I could NOT deal with was the disgusting bathroom. There were yellow stains on the ceiling (a former leak from above not fixed?), and a corroded shower drain (I wore my flip flops at all times). To top it all off, the shower didn't drain properly, flooded out my bathroom and I ended up washing the conditioner out of my hair in the sink. For this, I went to management, was given 1 free night (thank you) and was given a new room.

Are you still with me? I hope so. Because here come the bed bugs. Yes. BED BUGS. I was barely settled into room number 4 for one night when I realized I had bites on me. I checked the bed, saw the blood stains on the mattress and was able to grab a bug in a cup. I went downstairs to tell management & staff who were of course "horrified" and said this "never happens." Now you may be asking yourself, "why did she stay?" Well believe you me, had there been any availability in downtown Dayton, I would have moved days earlier, but there were lots of conventions going on (which is a whole other separate story). Who knew Dayton was so popular?!

So with that, I was given a key to a room on the 9th floor. I grabbed my stuff (luckily I never really unpacked), and headed down to what was promised to me as a lovely room. I will never know if it was a lovely room because the front desk gave me a key to a room that was already being used. As a matter of fact, there was an actual party taking place with streamers and everything. By this time it was well after 12am, I was exhausted from a full day of work, and losing patience.

I got back on the elevator and long story short- I got stuck on the dang elevator!! Now, it was only for a minute- but after all I had been through it was a minute too long. I went down to the front desk to explain what had happened. I was given yet another room key and sent on my way. Needless to say I wasn't pleased. Not only was I NOT compensated for this night, I wasn't even given an apology. The general manager was more concerned about the mix up in rooms than anything else. When I tried to explain what had happened in the elevator, the manager made excuses for why the elevator had broken down (too many people squeezing on); however THAT wasn't the elevator I had been stuck on (I was stuck on the so called "working" elevator!).

The Dayton Grand is an independent hotel which from what I have gathered, is being taken over by the Hilton. In my opinion, it should be shut down until full repairs and renovations can be made. The hotel is not only the dirtiest I have stayed at, but it is unsafe. The elevators need to be inspected immediately before someone gets hurt. Even the computers at the front desk kept freezing on the desk clerks! The general manager Karen Cyphers is completely overwhelmed and for lack of a better word "useless." My company manager reached out to the manager after we left with no response. This hotel needs an entire revamp of its staff and management.

Room Tip: Rooms with windows that open for better ventilation (there are a few).
2  Thank travelingus1975
Mark H, General Manager at Dayton Grand Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2013

Thank you for sharing your feedback here on Tripadvisor.
Clearly you do NOT enjoy your stay with us, no grey area there. Rather than speak to each of the many specifics you point out, I would rather speak the improvements that we’ve made and plan to still make.
You mention that we are in the process of converting to a Hilton branded hotel which is true. We have been approved, and will be converting to a DoubleTree by Hilton by late 2013, more realistically, early 2014. With that said, we have already invested a substantial amount of capital to improve the building and service prior to the conversion. We have implemented mandatory valet parking to help elevate the challenges that our previous parking situation presented, made significant improvements to our heating and cooling system with major upgrades still to come, approved plans to renovate our indoor pool and pool area, and our food and beverage outlets will get a complete makeover and concept change. Along with all the cosmetic change that have and will occur, our renewed focus on the guest experience is what I think you will notice has changed the most. We realize that all those other things won’t make a difference if the service we provide does not exceed your expectations. I have been at this hotel about 2 months and I can tell you that my team has bought into our goals and I’ve seen improvements already.
At the end of the day, no matter what I say or think matters…it’s your opinion that matters. I can only hope that you give us another try so that we can show to you how far we’ve come. My goal is that the next time you stay with us, your review of us here on Tripadvisor is a 5 out 5!!

Reviewed April 18, 2013

I have toured the country for almost 3 years now, staying in all sorts of hotels. Some were amazing and others were not so great. But nothing was this horrible that I had to write a review online about it.

This hotel is so dirty, the A/C in our room has NEVER been cleaned and makes sounds like it's getting ready to compete in a NASCAR race. The sink faucet is a 'water saver' faucet and let's out about 10 drops every 5 minutes, the bathtub does not drain while showering, so you are standing in 6 inches of dirty water for the remainder of your shower. Don't ride the elevator because you actually might die. It takes forever and the sounds it makes reminds you to pray before ever riding it. I arrived on a Monday and decided to have my room cleaned on a Thursday-you know, just take out the trash, clean towels and make the bed. They never came to clean it in the morning so I called downstairs before my workout, around 1:30pm, to get clean towels at least. After my workout, I found, they never came with towels so I called again. 'We will bring you some but we are just so busy and had people check out late, around 12:30pm, that we might not have any clean towels right now." (Mind you it is 4pm.) Then I went downstairs to the front desk to get towels and they sent ME on a wild goose chase. To the 9th floor to the maids cart, 6th floor to the housekeeping center, then back down to the front desk. NONE of those places had clean towels. Really?! You're a HOTEL! It's not my problem you don't have enough towels to go around. I don't need new towels each day, just maybe clean ones every 3rd or 4th day. They said again, 'We have been so busy with late check outs and trying to clean all the rooms and get them ready. We are working on clean towels.'' I was so outraged that I said I'd just use the dirty towels that I left outside my hotel door (the whole day).

It's also a very scary and unsafe area. Stay outside of the downtown Dayton area!

3  Thank Lindsey B
Reviewed April 16, 2013

I had a four night stay in this horrible place as part of a group. My reservation was screwed up and they only had me down for one night (the last night) so they weren't expecting me. The A/C in the building was broken on only one side, my side. They only had one elevator for 12 stories and there was always a wait. The complimentary breakfast was a joke. I was traveling as part of a group of children and they had the rooms listed under childrens names. The parking garage was horrible, we were driving surburbans and one of them was broken into and had something stolen out of it. The indoor pool was close for maintenance the entire time we were there and we never saw anyone working on it. We were supposed to have reserved parking for our truck with a trailor attached and when we reported that a bus was in our spot, the hotel did nothing to help us. Worst place ever

Room Tip: Find another hotel
1  Thank carriew313