“Not great, not bad” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #35 of 46 Hotels in Dayton
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Not great, not bad”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

This hotel apparently used to be a Doubletree, but is now an Indy in downtown Dayton, OH. Upon arriving, the parking deck was full, but we gave it a shot. We got all the way to the top and found a spot. What we didn't find is an elevator. We had to haul the luggage down from the 5th floor. When we checked in, the receptionist was very friendly and helpful in assisting with things to do nearby. When we got to the room, we found all the pillows on the bed with no pillow cases. Weird, but they fixed it. Room was decent, A/C didn't work and bathroom was small. But overall for the value, this was not a bad place. They need to figure out the parking situation, but it wouldn't be a deal killer to stay there again. And the staff being friendly was very important - with that, you can overlook some of the other missing things.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Everything about this stay was "nightmarish"!
Parking, room service, elevators, cleanliness, staff, everything terrible! Would have been better off to have stayed in the car, seriously. Heard the hotel has been sold, not sure if this is new owners or old owners that simply don't care about the property any longer. If this is the new owners, they won't last long!

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank hoodrats
Dayton, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

I spent this past weekend at the Dayton Grand Hotel with my boyfriend. We stayed Friday night until Sunday. The hotel wasn't horrible, but it wasn't the nicest one either. The staff was very friendly and check-in was very easy and simple. Check-out was also very smooth and they were okay with letting us stay a little bit longer.

The room we had was the single King size bedroom which was pretty nice. A couple things we didn't like was how small the bathroom was and how tiny the shower was. Also, if you plan on staying at this hotel when it is colder outside, try to get on a lower floor! We were so hot in our room because of the heat rising from lower rooms. We had the setting on the coldest we could to try to cool our room down, but nothing helped. I was miserable trying to sleep sometimes so that was pretty annoying. I'm sure in the warmer months it would be hot as well on the top floors. If you're looking for a good, plentiful breakfast, this also isn't the place. They just have bread (bagels, english muffins, toast, etc.), plain oatmeal, yogurt, and some juice and coffee to eat and drink. I was also hoping for a pool to swim in and the pool would be nice if it was working. It was shut down while we were there. They did have a pretty decent workout facility for a hotel though. Another issue was the parking garage. It was kind of scary driving up the narrow aisles and there is no elevator to carry your bags, so if you have to park more towards the top, which is likely because there isn't much parking, you will have to carry your bags all the way back down. Therefore, if you go by yourself, it could be a little creepy walking through there.

Overall it wasn't a horrible hotel, but it wasn't the best either. I don't believe that I would stay there there again at least not on the higher floors. I would definitely want to look for a different place before I would choose this hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
Denver, Colorado
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I stayed at the Dayton Grand on a one-day business trip. I was glad it was only a one-day visit.

This hotel is two stars at best. Various travel sites put it at 3.5 stars. And it continually pops up when you search for the best hotels in Dayton. But this is not one of the best hotels. It is one of the worst.

My arrival at the hotel started with a battle for a parking place. The hotel has a narrow and treacherous high-rise parking lot. It is all self-park. And as I spiraled up in search of a spot, I noticed streaks of automobile paint and even an occasional piece of a cracked headlight at nearly every turn. I was in a rented compact and was uncomfortable. A large vehicle will have major problem with this lot.

The next problem is that this labyrinth of a parking lot does not have an elevator. So after you wedge your auto into a spot, be ready to hand carry your luggage down to the ground level. I had to hand carry my bags down five flights of stairs.

Oh yes, and let's discuss the stairs. It appears that the stairwell double as a restroom for local homeless people. As I rounded the corner from floor two to the ground floor I heard the door shut. And when I reach the bottom of the stairs, I noticed a fresh puddle. It wasn't the first time, as the ground floor carried the familiar nitrogenous stech of old urine.

The entrance to the hotel is ok, but old. The hotel appear to have spent a little money fixing up the lobby and common areas. But they do not look anything as nice as the photos of the hotel’s website. Kudos to the photographer they hired. Those light and airy photos of open spaces convinced me to book my room.

The check-in clerk was curt, but efficient. At this point, I didn't even bring up the parking and urine issues. Anyone holding a job at this hotel probably wouldn't care, I concluded. What's he going to say: "Sorry about that sir, since our hotel sucks, your room will be free tonight."

Up to my room I went. I was now hoping against hope that the upper floors and my room might have been recently renovated. No such luck. Expect something akin to a Howard Johnson’s motel room – circa 1986. Spartan furnishings, coarse minimum thread count sheets, a small cathode ray tube television, musty curtains, a thin and threadbare bed spread, old carpeting, and stained tile in the bathroom. I left my socks on; even to sleep.

Dayton is working to reinvent and revitalize itself. There are good things happening in this city. But the owner of this hotel clearly has not received the memo. The hotel is not affiliated with a flag (national brand) for a reason. Nobody wants this place to carry their banner. I am never going back.

Room Tip: Find a room at another hotel.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
7 Thank LobstaSlaya
Louisville, Kentucky, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2013

PLEASE, DO SOMETHING ABOUT THE PARKING!!

I really enjoyed my visit. Check in was fast and easy.The room was comfortable and clean, The bathroom was spotless.
The staff was accommodating to us when we asked for a late check out because we had been out celebrating the arrival of the New Year.
HOWEVER..The parking situation was a nightmare! The garage was way too small, dirty, unsafe, and most of all inconvenient! We had to drag our luggage down 4 floors of the parking garage! I was just happy I was with my husband and not alone...I would not have felt safe and would have asked for my money back and went to a different hotel.
All in all I would recommend this hotel to someone who is not that concerned with parking.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Armygirl_44
DENVER
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

The last time we stayed there was 5 years ago, and since then we've tried the old Marriott down by Old River and the Crowne Plaza and both of those options are VERY tired, so I thought the Dayton Grand was worth another try...especially since the price was very affordable compared to the newer Mariott Courtyard over by the basketball arena. As others have reported the garage is a little strange...but it is free and your car has covered parking (we didn't rely on the valet). The front desk staff was friendly and responsive. The woman who checked me out very early this morning even ran into the kitchen and got me a much appreciated "to go" cup of coffee. Our room on the 8th floor was clean and comfortable...nothing to write home about but certainly as nice as the Crowne Plaza or the old Marriott (if they haven't been updated recently). Downtown Dayton is very dead...so don't go here expecting to walk around downtown and find fun restaurants to try. There are some good restaurants in Dayton, you just need to get in your car to get to them. We attended a ceremony over at the courthouse which we could walk to from the hotel, and our family is in Oakwood and Kettering, making this a convenient location. It's also a very easy trip to the airport - very nice if you are on the 6:45 am flight. I'd stay here again, but I am not expecting to be wowed...just want a clean room in a location that is convenient to the places I visit while in Dayton.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing Ludlow...my brother was on the other side of the hotel and looked into a brick...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Karen K
Cleveland, Ohio
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012 via mobile

Since I love old downtown hotels I decided to take a chance and book a room at the Dayton Grand Hotel instead of the nearby suburban chain options. Not a good call on my part.

First the positives. The front desk was polite and tried to be responsive.

Now the negatives:
Dim lighting in the basically dingy room. (Bathroom okay).
Heating and air conditioning not working "because its an old hotel that can't adjust to unseasonably warm swings in temperature." Really?
Whirlpool by 7th floor pool didn't work. No towels by pool. Dim and dingy lighting was depressing.
No valet for the car - had to park and walk through an old dark and dingy garage.
Slow Wi-Fi.

It is just depressing to be there.

I hope it can bounce back, as the staff seemed nice and the lobby looks like its been given a near-once over, and it would be good to see something solid in downtown Dayton.

If you are on a budget, it's acceptable and clean, albeit dimly lit and kinda depressing.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business