“I would never stay here again”
Review of Dayton Grand Hotel

Dayton Grand Hotel
Ranked #34 of 45 Hotels in Dayton
Reviewed August 27, 2012

We moved our daughter into the dorm at University of Dayton and booked two nights.

The parking garage is awful there are tight turns with cement buffers which have been hit numerous times as evident by many gouges and paint scrapings.The first night we found a spot on the second level which was creepy. but the second day we realized we were actually lucky as we ended up on the eight level with the ceiling falling down and a broken mirror leaning against the edge shattered. To make that experience worse, we had to walk down a stairway which had dried puke and garbage scattered around. This was in the middle of the day. That evening we were not even able to get into the garage, it was full. We went all the way to the top and back down. Nightmare. The man at the desk was useless and told us to park on the street. The area is desolate, run down with one empty storefront after the next. We parked a block away. Not safe!

The room was okay until we took our shoes off. The carpet was sticky. Have to wonder when it was last cleaned. The side chair was stained also and the office chair for the desk was ripped. The room was equipped with an iron and board but the iron finish was bubbling off and left markings on the towel that we tested before attempting to apply to our clothing. It took 45 minuted to get a different iron delivered.

We feel that at one time this may have been a nice place to stay but definitely is not the place to be now!

• Stayed: August 2012
1  Thank Smiling1

Reviewed August 26, 2012

I recently moved my daughter into the University of Dayton and booked the hotel for 2 nights. There were no problems the first night, but the second night when I went to the hotel there were no places left in the parking garage. I asked the gentleman at the entrance to the garage about alternative parking. He told me that I could park my vehicle on the street or pay and park it a few blocks away at a public garage. The area around the hotel is pretty deserted on a Saturday night and I was very concerned about my vehicle being broken into, as well as concerned about walking by myself. I went to the desk and asked for a refund for the night with an explanation of the reasons. The 2 women at the desk said they could not refund my money. I asked to talk to a manager. They said no one was on duty and they did not have the authority to make a decision. They told me a manager would be in the next morning and would contact me. I called the hotel 3 times the next day and was still not able to talk to a manager. I finally received a call from the assistant manager the second day who listened to my concerns but said they would not refund my money. I have never received such poor customer service at any hotel I have ever stayed at. No safe parking. No managers on duty. No return phone calls for 2 days. Unbelievable.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Liz440
Reviewed August 16, 2012

We thought the hotel was very good. King Suite was nice and very clean. Didn't use the pool or hot tub, so can't comment there. Staff were competent and friendly. Couldn't have asked for anything more.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I called them like 4x the week of my stay, to confirm I'd get a double and that I was a late arrival. Arrived at 1am, hotel sold out, only a king room and no rollaways, had to share bed with kids.

Stuck in elevator every time 4+ people were in elevator. Stuck like 4x. Once for 20+ minutes. Staff incompetent to resolve any issue. In the morning I was promised a room with 2 beds, nobody had any clue when I called around 11a. Finally they switched me to a new room, that room was dirty.

Very limited food and beverage options in the area on the weekend and evenings.

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank Brian9025
Reviewed August 7, 2012

This hotel is not as grand as the name might suggest it is. The public areas are a little worn and tired looking. The room was big and had plenty of room to move around even with a king bed. It was clean and comfortable just not as up scale as I was expecting. But then the price wasn't as up scale as other places too. Located in nice downtown location.
Overall not bad for the price.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank temerich
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Parking garage: no elevators, creepy, no connection to hotel lobby. Pool: we had never seen pool water as filmy and disgusting....you could not see the bottom of the pool! Wouldn't had surprised us if mosquitoes were swarming above it..this is how disgusting it was. Hot tub: roped off with yellow caution tape (hmmmm..) Dirty socks and leftover breakfast items left in the pool area (and this was at 3 o'clock in the afternoon..plenty of time for maintenance/housekeeping to get their job done). So much for choosing a place with an indoor pool! Rooms: noisy, outdated, windows need secured/dangerous. Lounge: stuffy & hot w/ fans blowing around. Cont bkfst: muffin & yogurt..juice machine broken. Website & brochure VERY misleading!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank t t
Reviewed August 2, 2012

There are but four hotels in central Dayton. Two are Marriott properties a couple miles south of downtown adjacent to the University of Dayton. The other two are downtown, the Crowne Plaza and the Dayton Grand. We stayed at the Dayton Grand as the other three properties were filled for the Saturday night we needed.

The Dayton Grand is the city's historic hotel. It was the Gibbons Hotel. For a couple years around 1960, the southern part of the hotel was a University Dayton freshman dorm. In subsequent years the dorm part of the hotel was torn down and a parking garage built with several floors of rooms over the garage portion. In recent years, the property was a Doubletree but has since gone independent, hence the Dayton Grand.

When I tried to book the Saturday night online, it said there was a two-night minimum. We only needed one night. I called the hotel directly and had no problem booking the single night. When we arrived around 11:30 AM on Saturday, we were advised the room was not available and that check-in was at 3:00 PM. Fair enough. We returned at 3:20 PM. The room was still not ready. We weren't the only ones as others were milling around awaiting their assignments. We finally got our room at 3:40 sans apology.

Many reviewers are very negative about their accommodations. That wasn't our experience. Our room was fine, quite large, nicely appointed and clean. We were in the "new" section over the parking garage. It may have been a club floor as we had to use the room key to activate the 9th floor. We had free wi-fi. The television was not flat screen but that's not an issue with me. The only room problem was the desk chair as we couldn't adjust the height. As noted by others, the bathroom was small although ours was clean. The rate was very satisfactory; they did not have a senior rate but our cost was just $88 before tax.

The hotel has free parking. The parking garage has multiple floors although not many spaces per floor. If you can't find space, you can park free on the street during non-metered hours which I believe are 8 AM until 6PM Mondays through Fridays. But verify in case I'm wrong.

One item, mentioned by others on multiple occasions, concerns the lack of elevator in the parking garage. You either have to walk down stairs or down the car ramps which may be a safety hazard. If you have somebody other than a child traveling with you, it might be a good idea to have that person exit the car with the luggage in the covered portal adjacent to the lobby before proceeding up the ramps.

One note about the historic part of the hotel where I stayed a number of years ago when it was a Doubletree Hotel. I was very satisfied with my very large room. The only issue was the wooden flooring. You could hear the wood creaking as people above walked about their room. That wasn't an issue during this stay in the "new" section where the floor is presumably concrete.

There is a free continental breakfast but we did not partake.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple