“Very good, affordable stay in North Dayton (3.6 out of 5)”

Residence Inn Dayton North
Ranked #11 of 45 Hotels in Dayton
Frederick, Maryland
“Very good, affordable stay in North Dayton (3.6 out of 5)”
Reviewed December 8, 2013

There was no wait to check-in and we did so without a hitch. Shortly after getting into our room, we received a courtesy call from the front desk checking in with us to make sure everything was fine and wondering if there was anything else we needed.

Our familial group of transient guests stayed Thursday and Friday nights for an affordable rate which amounted to a $52 discount over the standard rate for our 2 night stay. Here, we paid lodging taxes of 3% to the City of Dayton, 3% to Butler Township, and a roughly 7.26% Ohio state occupancy tax totaling 13 plus % in taxes.

There was nowhere to park out front to make our check-in process easier. So, we had a bit of a journey walk from the far side parking lot of the hotel grounds to the lobby and up to our room. This was on the coldest night of the year so far to that point so we weren't too happy about that non-welcoming property "feature". Yes, there was at least one temporary parking space for arriving guests out front. However, it was taken by a woman in a white SUV just sitting in her vehicle. She left when we were finally done hauling all of our luggage inside. Of course! So, maybe a few more spots would be nice. Whoever designed the property and the parking lot didn't have guest satisfaction in mind. No matter when we arrived back at the property, there were other guest's vehicles parked along the small amount of spaces next to a door. I guess they all had such a great time that they never left. So, we had to park down at the far side parking lot and walk each time which was inconvenient.

If you're planning on going to downtown Dayton, it's about a 15 minute trip without any traffic problems. On the plus side for location, there's many different restaurant/shopping options to choose from in the immediate area surrounding the property.

The 1 Bedroom Suite, 1 King, Sofabed room we stayed in seemed a tad small as compared to other similar Marriott suites we've stayed in. There was a full sized refrigerator, dishwasher, plates, glasses, utensils, etc. However, there was no oven, only a two plate stove top. Nope, no baking will be done here. The room also had a small dining table and a small coffee table by the sofa. The king sized bed seemed a little small than we're usually accustomed to, but it was definitely not a queen. It was not the most comfortable bed in the world, but serviceable. The hotel was built in 2009 so we expected and did find everything to be clean and like new.

The morning of check-out we decided to take advantage of the complimentary hot breakfast buffet provided with our stay. I gathered some scrambled eggs, potatoes, and some sausage onto a plate and brought it back to our room to eat in private. The food was awful with the potatoes being grossly undercooked and the eggs tasted disgusting. The sausage was good though at least.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Jamie W, General Manager at Residence Inn Dayton North, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
Thank you for the thorough review, NeoWasHere.

I am the new General Manager at the hotel and I am always looking for ways to improve the guest experience. Feedback like yours is extremely valuable towards meeting that goal. When you stay with us again, keep in mind that we have several different suite types. Some of these suites do have full ovens, multiple bedrooms and bathrooms, and even fireplaces.

I was glad to hear that the staff took care of you and we will be sure to do the same when you return.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
Houston, Texas
Reviewed November 18, 2013

I'm originally from the Dayton area and go home several times a year. Sometimes I stay with my folks but often i decide to stay in a hotel so that I can come and go easily and visit people on different ends of town. For quite a few years I've stayed downtown at The Crowne Plaza on 5th Street near the Dayton Convention Center. It was a reliable place to stay in the middle of Dayton so it was easy visiting people on either end of town. But over the years it has gone COMPLETELY downhill, even after what they referred to as a "renovation". Coupled with the fact that there have been numerous bed bug scares, I just said forget it this time.

So this visit to Dayton I decided to stay at The Residence Inn North of Downtown. The reviews were really good for this property and while I wasn't thrilled about it's location overall, I thought I'd give it a try. Well let me tell you, I was SHOCKED in a good way!! It was a really awesome hotel and I enjoyed my stay a lot! I travel all over the world and expect a lot from hotels. This Residence Inn is now my new home away from home's when i visit Dayton! it's worth the extra little drive to the downtown area and I didn't even really notice it when i was there this time.

I opted for the one bedroom corner fireplace suite. It was REALLY awesome! Quite large, plenty of space, the fireplace was great (as it was chilly in Ohio while I was there). The staff were all great and my room was at the end of a hall and it was VERY quiet. I had several times during my 5 night stay where I had some down time and I really enjoyed just relaxing in the room.

I HIGHLY recommend this hotel!! And I can't wait to go back!! I'm excited that I once again have a reliable and clean hotel to stay in while I'm visiting.

Room Tip: Opt for the one bedroom corner fireplace suite...it's SUPER nice!!!!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Thank you for making us your new home away from home, scottyhouston!

Your review is exactly the kind of review that I like to see, it shows that my team is doing what we enjoy doing every day!

We look forward to seeing you the next time you come home!

Thank you for the great photos too!
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed October 24, 2013 via mobile

Clean and well decorated room, staff went out of way to make us comfortable, no complaints. Breakfast was good and the lounge area was nice for the large group we had. The area had lots of shopping and food choices.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank TravelGirl3250
Travis W, General Manager at Residence Inn Dayton North, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for staying with us. I am glad to hear that the staff took very good care of you and that you enjoyed our room. We pride ourselves on great customer service and clean rooms. We look forward to seeing you the next time you are in the Dayton area!

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I wanted to give this hotel a 5, but I just could not do it due to fact of from the moment of walking into this hotel, my greet was not good. Just arrived in the city and ask a question." How can I help you" seem harmless, right, No, I walking in the door with luggage, shuttle service dropping me off, sweating from a long flight, and looked tired. Asked for a upgrade in a large hotel that had only ten cars in the parking lot and guest leaving, and was question why would I need a room upgrade being while being alone. Yet been with the brand for over twenty years of loyalty. Do not get me wrong, the rooms were are great, but it was like being in place where you did not feel welcome except from the very nice housekeeping staff were the only members of staff that made me feel welcome. Could not sleep due to the fact that in distance, I could hear a dog or some animal making noise in the middle of the night and got up to work and could not print anything due to fact that the printer was of a cartage with Uniguest stopping you in the middle of trying to get online just to check email and do small printing. Up most of the night with little to no sleep. I ended up going to another location at 4:30 a.m. to get some printing done. ATTITUDE makes a difference.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank WorldTraveler19999
Dear Value Guest,

Thank you so much for staying with us and providing feedback. I am so sorry that your stay was not up to par. We always try to upgrade valuable memebers such as your self, however sometimes we are sold out of a room type and are unable to upgrade. I had a chance to check out the business center and it is working now. Thank you so much for letting me know about this. Again I apologize and I hope that you will give us another chance the next time you are in the Dayton area!
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed October 12, 2013

We stayed here in early October before our flight to Orlando. It was SPACIOUS, CLEAN, UPDATED, and the front desk people were great! Huge closet, ironing essentials, a safe, kitchen with full size refrigerator, microwave, burners, and fully stocked with dinnerware and cookware. Decent breakfast buffet in lobby . Could not believe how NICE this place is! Will DEFINITELY stay here again and HIGHY recommend that you do too. You won't be disappointed.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for staying with us. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. We look forward to being your "Home Away from Home" the next time you are in the Dayton area!
Medina, Ohio, United States
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I stay in A LOT of Marriott's. This has to be one of the nicest. I am a Marriott gold elite member. My room was fantastic. So much so I sent my wife a wish you were here picture of the Fireplace in my room. It looks brand new. The front desk people were very nice and the rooms top notch. My only complaint is the last few times I was in the Dayton area they were booked solid so I had to stay at the Fairfield.

To the management staff keep doing what you are doing. I will definitely be back (if I can get a room! LOL)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Jeff K
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for staying with us and providing feedback. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay here. The one bedroom fireplace suite is my favorite room type that we have. Again thank you and we look forward to taking care of you the next time you are in the Dayton area!

Bowling Green, Ohio
Reviewed September 22, 2013

This hotel was nice, but pretty blah and mass-produced feeling. We stayed on the second floor, and there was a strong odor in the hall that was really awful, either like backed up sewage or a lot of garbage. We covered our noses every time we left the room. Luckily the smell didn't seep into our room.

Everything else was blah for the price. Breakfast was average. There was a thick layer of dust under the TV when we rotated it. The coffee pot was chipped. The reception on the TV was poor, and it was obvious that the signal was overtaxed. The toiletries were pretty bare bones. There was also a pretty steep hold for incidentals ($149.50). With so many choices in the area, I'll probably choose something else next time.

Room Tip: Definitely try to get a room away from the Sam's Club dock.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Stephanie R
Travis W, General Manager at Residence Inn Dayton North, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for letting me know about your stay. I am so sorry to hear about the issues you experienced during your stay. At your earliest convenience, please give me a call at 937-890-2244 or email me at tweller@thmc.biz so that I can make sure the issues in your room get addressed. Again, I apologize and I do hope that you will give us another chance the next time you are in the Dayton area.