“An older property, but still worth considering”

Extended Stay America - Dayton - South
Ranked #24 of 45 Hotels in Dayton
Flint, mi
“An older property, but still worth considering”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

This location has some design quirks that have been resolved in newer hotels of the "Extended Stay" brand.

The first, and most annoying (to my wife), is the smallish mirror in the medicine cabinet over the sink. This cabinet is mounted high over the sink and shorter people will not enjoy this feature.

Secondly, the entrance from the parking lot at the rear of the hotel almost feels like you are going through a service door, rather than a public access entry.

And, lastly, the galley kitchenette was designed too narrow. The refrigerator door won't fully open because it hits the front of the stove unit.

Other than these three minor design issues, this is a good place to stay because it does have the extra features of the kitchenette and the multi-task desk/snack bar area.

The beds are average, not plush, and are similar to those at home, so we slept well.

The A/C and heater unit worked well, although in this basement level room, the unit was mounted higher in the wall than it would have been in upper floor rooms.

We used Priceline to book this room through the "Name your Price" bidding system and got a really good deal for a two-star rated property. Free breakfast was very minimal, but an added plus (many Priceline bids end up with no breakfast at the two star level).

The surrounding area has many, many, MANY shopping and restaurant opportunities, including the largest Kroger Marketplace store in the world! (about 6-7 miles away, just south of the town of Centerville)

Room Tip: Basement level rooms have easy access to the rear parking lot
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank flintjarvis

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
mtngirl67
Reviewed March 28, 2013

We booked three rooms (separately) last-minute, as we were in town unexpectedly because of a death in the family. When I checked in, the price was about $45 more than what I was quoted online. I had my confirmation and showed the pleasant woman at the desk. She said that she would apply the $10 coupon code at the end of the stay, and that the price on the confirmation was without taxes and fees. Then she told me not to worry about the extra $45, and that her supervisor would "take care of it" on Monday.
At first site the place seemed great. Easy location, fairly clean room, some issues (uneven shower temps, missing drain, hair...), but overall what was expected for $61 a night.
As time went on, we started to notice the other "residents". Many times we were nervous about our safety. One morning while getting my coffee in the lobby, a man was standing there in his boxers and t-shirt. It seemed worse in the "basement" where my mother was. I ended up not allowing my 14-year-old daughter to go down there by herself. It seemed like this is where all the long-term "residents" were. We stayed the least amount of time in our rooms as possible.
The breakfast was coffee, fruit and a couple of granola bars. Nothing really of value.
Again, it was a $61 rate (pre tax, AAA). Still, I never got my $45! The manager did not budge.

Room Tip: DON'T end up in the basement.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank mtngirl67
Adrian V, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Dayton - South, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
I recently received a copy of your review and I wanted to take a moment to respond. Our company prides itself on providing great guest service and great rooms at a great price, which is why I was so disappointed to read your post. Please accept my sincere apologies. I wanted to address the issue with the rate first. When you got a quote it was without taxes, so unfortunately I cannot refund this back to you since that was the difference you saw. If we had misquoted the actual rate I would most definitely refund your money. As for the $10 coupon, we had refunded that the day before you left, so you should see it on your account by now. I apologize again for the confusion. I would also like to address your concerns about our long term guests and I want you to know that your safety is of upmost importance to us. Since we are an extended stay property we get all sorts of guests with all different length of stays, but we do not condone anyone walking around in their sleeping attire and I will be looking into finding to who is doing that and put a stop to it immediately. Its not common that we get the sort of feedback you provided, and although it is discouraging, it will help us make our hotel better in the future and I want to thank you for bringing these issues to our attention. We hope you will give our hotel a chance to make it up to you in the future.
Reviewed March 10, 2013

This hotel was exactly what we needed for my husbands Brain Radiation. It was clean, loved having a kitchen to meet his ever changing appetite, close to the hospital, staff was very friendly and helpful!! Misty was great at helping us to get the best deal for our almost 2 week stay, which included us being able to go home for weekend and leave our stuff in the room to return on Monday like we had never left! This was such a relief for us! We had an end room which was big and felt like an apartment. It was quiet and convenient to stores or anything else we needed. 10 minutes from Miami Valley South where we needed to be everyday. I did think the pet fee was a little steep, so we weren't able to bring our beloved digs with us, but that was probably a blessing in disguise! I would definitely stay there again if we have to go back for any length of time!

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank victricia
Adrian V, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Dayton - South, responded to this review, March 19, 2013
It was very kind of you to take the time to publish such a positive review of your stay! It's always satisfying to read good feedback from our valued guests, like you. We believe that the best kind of marketing is the public praise we get from our millions of happy customers. It would, of course, be our pleasure for you to repaet your experience with us in the future. Thank you once again and feel free to reach out to us directly if we can assist you in any of your future travels
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed February 21, 2013

This is such a clean hotel and the staff is very friendly. Especially the front desk clerk Brandon. You can't beat the price considering your room is like a small apartment. If your going to the Dayton Ohio area stay here you won't regret it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Adrian V, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Dayton - South, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Thank you so very much for your nice review of our property. Whenever I read comments like yours, it always gives me such great pleasure. My entire staff strives to make every guest's stay totally enjoyable, and our greatest reward is validation that we've done just that. Please know that we would be thrilled to have you again as our guest should your travel needs bring you back to our area. Once again, thanks for all of your very kind words.
Washington, D.C.
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I will have to say, I used the reviews from this website to sway me from cancelling my reservations at RESIDENCE INN to try this place. Needless to say, it is a "you get what you pay for" establishment. It wasn't a bad stay, it just wasn't what I was used to as in feeling 'at home'. The hotel is very dated, and needs an upgrade all around. I think if that happened, 'my' review would probably have been better. Again, if you are going and are used to an average sleeping room, then by all means, this is where you should go, however, if you are used to a feeling of 'at home', then maybe you need to look elsewhere, and pay a bit more for that feeling.

Also, I will be contacting the establishment, as I had a discount that DID NOT take off once my card for charged, so I will expect that experience to be painless.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank DCDC
Thank you for taking the time to give us a review. I wanted to make sure you received the $11.30 refund back on your credit card that was posted at check out, if not please give us a call back. We hope to see you again in the future.
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Great staff and Nice rooms. I stayed in the one and only 1 bed room apartment. Not sure how the other rooms are. Try to get the apartment. The Breakfast is a little silly, but you can make you own in your kitchen. The coffee is great in the lobby.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
It was so nice to hear from you. Thank you for this kind review. I am so happy you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to being your 'home away from home' for the next visit.
Port Elgin Ot
Reviewed January 29, 2013

I chose this hotel based on the positive reviews in Tripadvisor. Just wanted to confirm, it lived up to the positive opinions... The counter person was extremely helpful, the room was clean and comfortable. Overall, well worth the money, will be glad to stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank lvw
Adrian V, General Manager at Extended Stay America - Dayton - South, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
I would like to personally thank you for your kind words in your review. We are so glad you chose us and took the time to tell others about your experience!