“Really Pleasant 4 star hotel in Dayton”

Crowne Plaza Dayton
Ranked #14 of 45 Hotels in Dayton
Wayzata, Minnesota, United States
“Really Pleasant 4 star hotel in Dayton”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

We pulled up to this downtown hotel (located near our Dayton office so very convenient) and a very friendly doorman welcomed us immediately and told us where to park temporarily as well as where the free parking garage was located--very friendly! Front desk also extremely attentive and quick to check me in. Lobby looks very modern and new. My room is a corner view, overlooking a nice outdoor pool (unusual for a downtown hotel). Special sleep products by the bed (night face lotion, some kind of aromatherapy spray, and leg/feet lotion--all lovely. Mattress is firm and great. Nice flat screen TV & room furnishings. Bathroom comfortable. Coffee machine for the morning. All in all, a very nice property with terrific staff. There is bar/restaurant on top floor but I have not gone there to explore. Decent workout facility on first floor with elipticals, treadmills & TV facing a big window.

I used to stay at Dayton Marriott but this hotel is better and better value!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Kris D, Director of Sales at Crowne Plaza Dayton, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind words. I am pleased to hear that our staff took exceptional care for you while you were with us. We hope that you return to Crowne Plaza for any travels into the Dayton area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I found the staff at this hotel to be friendly, from the front desk staff to the restaurant staff (though the kitchen was clearly understaffed as we waited over 30min for breakfast with only 2 other tables occupied). However, their best efforts cannot make up for a hotel that is old and requires significant repair. From the broken lock on my bathroom door (the frame was splintered), to the inoperable bathroom fan to the non-functioning hallway icemaker (my friend and I both tried it several times without success) to the dirty, musty hall carpet, this hotel requires an overhaul to warrant a stay. It is also located in an area with few restaurant/bar options within walking distance (but many abandoned storefronts). If you have business at the Dayton convention center, this hotel has a direct walkway to it and that convenience may be enough for you to book it. Otherwise, I suggest you look for other options, especially if you're visiting the DaytonU campus.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Buddha700
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Crowne Plaza Dayton, responded to this review, August 12, 2013
Dear Buddha700,

Thank you for your feedback. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. We appreciate your nice comment regarding our staff.

However, We’re sorry we fell below your expectation regarding our property, hallway and room condition. We will look at this point. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to ensure complete guest satisfaction. We hope you give us a chance in the future to show you how great our hotel is.

Orlando A.
Case Manager
IHGCare
New York City, New York
Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

The hotel is located just off main avenue so it is walkable to some restaurants but certainly is mostly business and banks that I saw.

The rooms with one king bed are relatively small (maybe for one or two people max). When entering the room, it has a long and narrow foyer/hallway. The bathroom is tucked in in a corner so the hallway is not a straight shot ( good thing at night because the light of the bathroom doesn't bother you). The room has simple furniture with well decorated drapery and crown molding.

The room has tons of plugs and reading light at the headboard and make up morrow in the bathroom!!! Thank you!!!

I changed rooms because some people were making noise next to my room and the front desk was very accommodating. When I decided to change rooms Darius quickly went up to my room and provided me with a new room key. Even asked me of I needed assistance with my luggage.

The small and open business center is rifht in the lobby. I had a goodnight sleep. Thank you

• Stayed July 2013
I would like to thank you for taking the time to write an online review. We appreciate the kind words about our staff.
Tigard, Oregon
Reviewed July 20, 2013

My only guess as to why others would give any better rating, would be that they are used to Midwest heat and humidity. The lobby and hallways of the motel were not air conditioned! Stayed for three nights and each of the 3 nights, had to go to the front desk for new keys. Rooms are nicely done, but was wishing the curtains would close fully. The worst part of the stay was the fact they have 3 elevators, of which 2 worked, and they are SLOOOOW. Stayed on the 7th floor...music right above in the lounge. I am just stunned that this hotel could get anything more than even a 2 rating. None of the issues were "secrets", so why not fix the problems? I usually take reviews this bad, and figure someone had a bee in their bonnet, and you'd never be able to please them. This is a case of just a terrible stay, start to finish.

Room Tip: Get a room low enough to where you don't have to use an elevator. 7th floor is noisy at night.
2 Thank Steven H
Hotel M, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Dayton, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to give us your review. Your comments are ones we never hope to hear or have a guest exerince. We apologize for any shortfalls during your recent stay with us. We constantly strive to provide an environment of comfort and value to our guests, therefore, we are sincerely concerned that we fell short of your expectation. I do want to assure you that the any music you may have heard did not come from our lounge as it is rooftop on the 14th floor and our entertainers never play past 11pm. Please know that we have taken note of your valuable comments and will use these to monitor and improve the quality of services we offer to our guests.
Champlin, Minnesota
Reviewed July 17, 2013

My son was on a Boy Scout trip and the entire convoy stayed at your hotel on Saturday July 13th. He informed me on the following Monday (2 days later) that he had forgotten his good memory foam pillow in the room. I called the hotel and was put in touch with Lucia, the executive in charge of housekeeping. She was so sweet, (apparently I don't have the only forgetful teenager in the world) and said she would do some checking. She did eventually find the right pillow (after 2 days of going back and forth with bits of info from said child), and would mail it back to Minnesota for me. Not once was I made to feel like I was a burden, spoken to disrespectfully or treated anything other than with respect. I want to give kudos when they are due and Lucia, dear, you are GREAT at your job. Thank You!
The Hesse's
Champlin, MN

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Dawnelle H,
Our new Executive Housekeeper Lucia is very diligent and I am glad to hear she tracked down your son's pillow! Thank you for stopping by Trip Advisor and sharing your experience. I am pleased to hear that we exceeded your expectation, and I will be sure to share your review with with Lucia.

Reviewed July 13, 2013

Currently staying at the Crowne Plaza Dayton. The staff is quite helpful. Manager on Duty during stay was attentive to many guests as viewed via my observation. Have stayed downtown Dayton, OH on a few visits to the city and I would probably stay here again. The available parking is valet, street, or the adjacent garage shared by the city, convention center, and the hotel. THe top floor restraurant/bar has a relaxed yet pleasent appeal and feel, boasting views of Dayton on either side. Its evident that this is an older hotel that has been updated, however the updates are what you would expect at most facilities.

Dear RTtraveler,
Thank you so much for sharing your experience at the Crowne Plaza Dayton, we appreciate the kind words. I also appreciate you mentioning the great service that our staff members provide. It's good to hear that you were able to enjoy our rooftop restaurant View 162 and we will look forward to seeing you again if your travels bring you back to Dayton!

College Station, Texas
Reviewed July 13, 2013

My husband and I stayed here last week while he attended a meeting at the convention center. We had a corner room - - excellent lighting for my sewing projects while he was in meetings and a beautiful view. Yes, the bathroom is small and dimly lit, but the room was spacious. The hotel was clean and quiet and the staff was exceptional. We ordered breakfast delivered our first morning and it arrived right on time. Our housekeeper, Alma, was a delight - she made sure we had everything we needed for a comfortable stay. Matt and Richard at the front desk were also especially accommodating and pleasant to deal with.

We only had one complaint and it was not the hotel's fault. There is really only one restaurant within walking distance of the hotel. When the conference ended each evening that restaurant & the hotel restaurant were swamped. Fortunately we were able to drive to another area to eat, but it was a problem for some of the older conference attendees.

Room Tip: We had a corner room on the 11th floor facing the memorial fountain. I could see it each hour and w...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed yourself at the Crowne Plaza while they were attending your convention. It was a pleasure to host your group! We are anxiously awaiting any future travels into Dayton in the future! Thank you so much for your feed back.