“Not a perfect 10!”

Crowne Plaza Dayton
Ranked #19 of 45 Hotels in Dayton
Reviewed June 10, 2013

Upon arriving the "Valet" was right there to take our luggage and park the car...check in was a breeze. The lobby was lovely! There is an attached "park like setting" that is charming to walk through. The room was clean but lacking in areas you would not expect a "Crowne" to be lacking in. There was not any "in-room" coffee! for us early risers! I found there was only one wash clothe and 2 towels set in the room that was for both my husband and I. When I brought this to their attention they did, on their defense, immediately bring additional toweling up to the room. When we left for our event the valet had our car there for us in a short time manner. Upon return in late afternoon we took advantage of a lull in our activities and went up to the "lounge/restaurant" on their top floor. The view was wonderful. The service right on target. The food, ( thought we only had a light bite) was very good, tasty and hot. Our server was sharp and charming.

Upon leaving for the evening and returning from our events it was still fairly early...only 10 p.m. There was not a valet anywhere in site~(A Saturday night!! I had to go in and ask what to do...and ended up leaving my key at the front desk. The next a.m. We called for a bell-person to assist with all our things. Though he came quickly..he only dropped off the cart. This surprised me for the "Crowne". Called for our car to be brought around and upon loading our own luggage and getting down to the lobby saw our car. It looked like it was in the exact same spot we had left it the night before. The Vale (??)t came up to us after about 5 minutes (they were not busy) and thanked us for coming. As we stand there unable to load our luggage as he still had our key fob. He walks away!! We had to ask for our key..and then proceed to load our own luggage. When you pay for assistance......???? Bed was comfortable...check out easy...Would I return....probably not.
I also have noticed that the management's responses to other comments have literally been a rubber stamp letter. I find this not acceptable...just a little FYI management. I have stayed at Holiday Inn Expresses with better customer care! Their Crowne is not shining anymore.....

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank bfzebra
Hotel M, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Dayton, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

Dear bfzebra,
It sounds like there were many positive points about your stay with both the hotel and our rooftop restaurant. Unfortunately there were some areas of service where we did not measure up and fell short. I would like to apologize for the inconvenience you encountered during your stay and the poor service you received from our valet and bellman. I also wanted to assure you that each review is read and responded to individually. All reviews, both positive and negative are taken to heart as we seek to constantly provide our guest with a stay they can rate a 10. Thank you for your comments.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

I was in town for a cousin's wedding and our extended family of 50+ cousins all stayed at the Crown Plaza. All in all,we had an excellent stay. The hotel is architecturally not pleasing from exterior but has a pleasantly remodeled interior. Parking via the convention center was nice but was also cumbersome as we forgot to validate our ticket once. Lastly, while shopping for prices I noticed that if you book through booking.com, you get a complementary breakfast in the hotel's restaurant which was excellent. The restaurant is located on the top floor and you have a choice between buffet and a menu (hint: order from the menu). There aren't many choices in Dayton, so I would highly recommend the Crown Plaza.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Dear SMDoc1
We always enjoy being the host hotel for family reunions! Thank you for taking the time to let us know that you and your family had an excellant stay. There are many packages available that do include breakfast, Our rooftop restaurant with it's fantastic views, makes a great place to gather as a family before you start your day. We look forward to your return visit!

Reviewed May 28, 2013

I was visiting Dayton for a friend's wedding. Dayton does not offer a lot but the Crowne Plaza was a bright spot. Check-in was easy, the staff was friendly and helpful, the room was nice and comfortable. Plus I had complimentary breakfast that was wonderful. True parking is in the garage across the road and you use the skywalk to cross over but I never felt unsafe doing so.

• Stayed: May 2013
Hotel M, General Manager at Crowne Plaza Dayton, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2013

Dear elevatedlady,
We are so glad you enjoyed your stay and found us as a bright spot in the area. We appreciate it when a guest takes the time to give us a review. Should you visit the area again, there are many things to do and places to go that you would truly enjoy. We have the theatre, the ballet, a historic district with dining and music, and even a minor league baseball team all within walking distance from the hotel! We hope to have you as our guest sometime again.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

I have been coming to the CP Dayton for about 15 years for an annual amateur radio meeting. My last previous visit was 2 years ago. Since then, new ownership has taken over, and there has been a useful improvement, particularly evident in the staff.

A few shortcomings remain. The hallway carpets are badly worn, and temperature and humidity in the halls was uncomfortably high. The first day, the club floor breakfast was depleted by the time I got there at 7 AM, though the woman taking care of it did get more food delivered - apparently they weren't anticipating so many people - why not?

On the second day, most of the Hamvention guests (including me) received a form under our doors inviting us to pre-register for the following year. The form showed incredible ignorance of even what the Hamvention was, who sponsored it, etc. It asked for full credit card particulars to guarantee a reservation, though when I objected to the front desk staff they told me that they could get mine from my current account. I had a distinct impression of amateurish enthusiasm, but this caused a good deal of confusion among those of us who were in block reservations made by other people. I am still trying to get this straightened out.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo

Dear PeteandLynn,
Thank you for taking the time to fill out a review. You are correct, the guests who were part of a block were not supposed to have the form slipped under their door. But an overzealous employee thought they were doing the right thing in placing it under the door of all attendees. We are sorry for any confusion this caused. We appreciate you noticing that we just keep getting better and better and look forward to your 'even better' review next year!

Reviewed May 27, 2013

Stayed at this property in May 2013 with students for a high school competition. Very helpful staff, good food service, housekeeping was great. Attached to the Convention Center by a skywalk so you do not have to go outdoors if you do not want to. Would come back again

Dear norsemenboater,
Thank you for your review, we enjoyed hosting your students. Our staff has really been working hard to make the Crowne Plaza Dayton the favorite place to stay. They will appreciate your compliments, thank you again.

Reviewed May 19, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel many times over the last 20 years for an annual meeting. It gets worse very year. Summary of problems this trip:
1. Hallways are incredibly warm and uncomfortable.
2. Sink drained very slowly
3. Shower/tub drained very slowly (about 1/3 full by end of shower)
4. Problems with door key
a. Stayed for 3 nights. Key didn't work on second day. Had to replace it.
b. When I asked for a new key, the front desk person simply asked me for my room number. He never asked for ID. I could have asked for a key to any room!
5. I know it hasn't shrunk, but I don't recall the bathroom being so small. The door has about 2 inch clearance from the toilet.

On a positive note, the food at a banquet at the hotel was good. I was expecting rubber chicken, but was pleasantly surprised. Also, the bed was very comfortable.

I will NOT be staying there next time.

3  Thank traveller2150

Dear Traveler2150,
Unfortunately you arrived at the hotel during a time when our entire check in and reservation system was down. This happened as we had hundreds of guests checking in. Our staff was unable to rely on a computer during the entire process, and although they handled everything professionally and with smiles on their faces, this did have a negative impact on your stay and for that I apologize.

Reviewed May 17, 2013

I stayed overnight on a business trip. The room was well appointed, but nothing special. The room was just clean, not over the top clean. (stains on the bathroom walls, corners and edges of the carpet needed vacuumed, I didn't trust the look of the water glasses) In addition, the bathroom ceiling was pealing as a result of no ventilation system to get rid of moisture. The tub had mildew in the caulk of the tiles and missing caulk on the faucet, which caused water to pour into the gaping space.
The walls are fairly thin and I could hear activity in the room next to me. They weren't overly loud, but I could hear them moving about in their room and their t.v.
The bed was fine, not extremely comfortable, but I attribute that to not being used to the bed.
The staff was friendly and the hotel was easy to locate. I appreciated the free parking. I didn't utilize the workout room, although that is available.
I was a little disappointed there was no onsite breakfast options, just room service, like $8 for oatmeal.
If you need a safe, fairly clean place to stay in the Dayton area, it is a convenient location.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for filling out a review. They are helpful to point out certain rooms or areas we need to improve on. I would like to apologize for the disappointment you experienced with your room.
Concerning our on site breakfast options, we have a beautiful rooftop restaurant with walls of windows where you can enjoy the sun rising or setting. There is a breakfast buffet as well as a full menu to select from. The restaurant serves until midnight and they also feature live music 3 nights a week. Hopefully you will give us the opportunity to impress you should you return to the Dayton area on your next business trip.