“Great hotel” 4 of 5 bubbles

Newnan, GA
“Great hotel”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2008

The upside:
We stayed at the Marriott during our family reunion 7/3-7/6/08. My family & I enjoyed our stay overall. The bedding was extremely comfortable. The room and the bathroom were clean. My husband & I, along with other adult family members, went down to the poolside lounge (Sharkey's) and had a great time. Everything I expected from the Marriott.
The downside:
On the day of check-in I had cleaned my room from the door to the bathroom, to the remote, basically anything that I or my daughter and husband would touch. Lysol spray and Clorox wipes are what I use no matter where we stay. (I've seen the documentaries on hotels and how they are cleaned)
Around 3:00pm on 7/4 I had seen the maid in the hall and asked for clean towels and wash cloths. I told her not to clean my room she repeated what I said and I told her again "Do not clean my room". Upon returning from our afternoon outting my room had been cleaned anyway. That made me very upset. On the morning of 7/4 I had killed a spider on the wall.
The carpet was a little worn, but we always wear flip flops while in the room. We never walk on the floor bare foot.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
      Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (102)
Kentucky
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2008

The hotel is a bit dated, and the rooms are small, but our room was clean quiet and we loved those Marriott beds. However, they have some practices in place that lessen the experience. For the price they charge I expect real coffee cups in room, not styrofoam - and their internet service is poor. They make it seem like high-speed internet is a big deal that one should pay $12.95 a day for. They don't even offer free internet in the hotel lobby - yet the EconoLodge across the river advertises that it does!

If you like Marriott's and want to stay in that area, there is a Courtyard across the river. I'll try there next time.

• Liked — Quiet and clean.
  • Disliked — Internet service
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank CheapWorldTraveller
Alexandria, VA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2008

Definitely not up to Marriott standards. Extremely outdated. Pool and hot tub are directly off of lobby with huge windows looking in. Hotel restaurant, Parmizzano's, was excellent, though.

• Stayed March 2008
1 Thank Sara981
Toledo, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2007

Just returned from the Marriott Dayton we stayed for 2 nights in December. We were there for my son's hockey tournament. The hotel was nice and clean. I thought it met Marriott standards. The staff at the front desk were friendly and helpful. The bedding is the new Revival bedding and was great!!!!! There were quite a few hockey teams in the hotel and there did not seem to be any issues. We ate at the sports bar restaurant and the food was good. They were under staffed but Zach our waiter took good care of us. All and all we had a nice time.

• Stayed December 2007
1 Thank jackiela
Chantilly, VA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2007

Chose this hotel because it was highly recommended by company but turned out to be a big disappointment. Maid only cleaned my room twice out of the four nights I stayed there. Was afraid to walk on the carpet barefoot due to the dirt and filth of the carpet in the room. They must not have paid their DirecTV bill because the signal kept getting lost while other channels were completely fuzzy. Not a very good experience and would not even go back if they offered me a free room.

Stayed September 2007
1 Thank DMJO32
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2007

We stayed for two nights at the Dayton Marriott while in the area to run the Air Force marathon.
Our two double bed room was OK, a little cramped but adequate. The furnishings were a little dated but nothing to really complain about. The bathroom was tiny, and was a little hard to get in and out of at times!

The best thing about the place is probably the soundproofing, there was a rehearsal dinner out by the pool one night and a wedding the next night and we didn't hear any of it in our room.
The worst thing - probably that the Concierge lounge only caters to business travellers in it's opening hours - ie closed from Friday morning to Sunday night. We were offered one free breakfast but as there were two of us in the room for two nights that didn't really cut it. It's also a little difficult to find, not helped by the fact that the nearby freeway is closed in certain areas.
We also ate in the Sports Bar, which was again adequate but nothing to write home about. They were short staffed so the place needed a good clean but that might have been due to the fact that around 80% of the wedding guests were in there watching the football on tv...
If I really had to stay in Dayton again I'd probably stay there rather than paying the same price to stay in a lesser brand hotel. But I probably wouldn't go there again!

• Liked — Soundproofing
  • Disliked — Poor Concierge lounge hours
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with friends
2 Thank jenster
TN
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2007

Drab facility and insipid staff. Another disappointing hotel stay in Dayton.

I checked out early and moved across the river to the brand new Courtyard by Marriott - University of Dayton. My new preferred place to stay in town. Very good!

Stayed September 2007