“Concierge level”

Marriott at the University of Dayton
Ranked #3 of 46 Hotels in Dayton
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Used the concierge level room for breakfast. Richard was on duty as he has been for many years. As always, he did an excellent job. The food was good, there was plenty of it, and the place was spotless. Richard was quick to greet me upon arrival and was very attentive during my stay. Little personal touches like that go a long way with me.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Scott_Trammel, Manager at Marriott at the University of Dayton, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

Dear Dave,
I could not agree more with your assessment of Richard in the Concierge Lounge. Richard is a great ambassador for the hotel and for the city of Dayton. Richard has a knack for picking up on guest cues and does the little things to create a memorable experience for our guests. Thank you again for the kind words and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

I stayed at this property twice now. Both times have been pleasant. Check in is great, the staff is good. Room was nice and clean. We were there in the summer which is fun too as on the weekends their pool area turns into a fun venue with live music and dancing. the band can be loud, so if that bothers you, ask for a room where you don't hear it. I travel quite a bit. I would rate this hotel above average but not outstanding. It's just a standard good solid property. The restaurant opportunities bring it down in our opinion. there is a bar / restaurant that is open most of the time and I don't prefer bar type feel or food. They have another restaurant but its hours are limited. Not sure how good it is as we never went there.

Dear Laura,
Thank you for providing us with valuable feedback. We do make changes in our processes based on the feedback we receive. I was happy to hear that your stay was pleasant and that the service met your needs. Sharkey’s is our outdoor entertainment venue in which we host live bands from 7pm to 11pm every summer weekend. As you mentioned, the rooms located around the pool area will hear the band. If you are here for rest and relaxation, please request a room facing the parking lot and you will not hear a thing. Parmizzano’s is primarily our breakfast and lunch dining outlet. Gambits opens a 2pm daily and serves as our lounge and evening dining facility. We are happy that you chose the Dayton Marriott and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I stayed during the Trans Am National Car Show and arrived Late Saturday Afternoon. Because of this event, rooms were a little higher. I asked for the normal rate. They offered a handicap room with one full side bed at that rate. Since I was traveling alone that worked and it saved me money($50) and it worked perfectly for me. The room was very nice and had special access to the elevator and the show parking lot. Special thanks to Marshay, Cheryl, and Demetria who made my stay pleasurable. I wish every hotel stay was like this one.

Room Tip: If you are traveling alone, ask for the rooms with special access.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo

We really enjoy hosting the annual Trans Am Nationals event held every year in the month of August. Thank you for taking the time to personally recognize Marshay, Cheryl and Demetria for making your stay more enjoyable. We hope to see you again next year.

Reviewed September 3, 2013 via mobile

This was a disappointing stay. I stay in hotels all over the country and I have never heard of a hotel not having enough blankets. You are in the business of beds and bedding. Even if the hotel is booked you should still have an entire room of blankets you can provide for your guests. They did not even have the standard "extra " blanket in the room as most hotels have. I was told that I would be on a waiting list to get a blanket.. After several calls over a couple days.. Still no blanket. Terrible. I also had asked for a late check out, they had said that I could have a 1:00 check out but after 12:00 the keys would stop working.. What? Whats the point in the late checkout then? C'mon folks get it together! Noisy rooms, below average service, I will not be staying again, you should think about some other options yourself.

• Stayed: August 2013
Scott_Trammel, Manager at Marriott at the University of Dayton, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2013

I certainly want to thank you for bringing these matters to my attention and I want to apologize for the way we responded to your requests for extra blankets and for the late check-out. This experience is certainly below the expectations that we have for our hotel. Rest assured that we will use this experience to refine our processes and educate our staff. While my apology cannot erase your disappointment, I hope it shows that I value you as our guest. We do appreciate your business and hope you will give us a second chance. If you do have the opportunity to stay with us again, please know that I will make every effort to ensure your stay is delightful.

Reviewed August 28, 2013

Everyone treats you like family here. Sam in the Concierge Lounge is both professional and particularly fun to talk to! All special requests were accommodated; truly top-notch service. Making business travel to Dayton much more enjoyable.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Scott_Trammel, Manager at Marriott at the University of Dayton, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Dear Steph,

Thank you for your positive feedback and for personally recognizing Sam in the Concierge Lounge. Sam is a wonderful ambassador for the Dayton Marriott and gives it his very best to ensure every guest leaves the Concierge Lounge satisfied. I am glad that we were able to accommodate your requests and that you experienced an enjoyable stay. We hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed August 28, 2013

My husband, small dog, and I enjoyed our stay here Memorial Day weekend. It was a busy weekend for the hotel, but we were cheerfully acknowledged every time we came and went. The entire hotel was very clean; the indoor/outdoor pool and hot tub was sparkling! The room was spacious and comfortable, well decorated, and you can't beat Bath & Body products in the bathroom. The restaurant and bar on site are worth a visit. (Try the brunch - it's amazing.) Aside from feeling very safe here, you are a short walk from a river walkway and Carillon Park. We will definitely stay here again the next time we are in Dayton!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Scott_Trammel, Manager at Marriott at the University of Dayton, responded to this reviewResponded August 29, 2013

Dear Heather,
Thank you for the wonderful comments regarding your recent stay at the Dayton Marriott. I am so happy that every element of your stay met or even exceeded your expectations. Your words paint a wonder picture and we will continue to strive for all guests to have the same type of experience. I’m glad that you had time to visit the historical Carillon Park and the walking path located across the street. Thank you for choosing the Dayton Marriott and we hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

We stayed at the Marriott Inn for 2 nights from Aug 23 to Aug 25 because of the Trans am Nationals held at the hotel. I was please on Thursday when I called for reservations, that there was still a room available for those nights. When I called to make the reservations, the representative told me what the cost of room would be plus taxes. I was even more pleased that the room rate was cheaper than what it said online. So we checked in late Friday and again the rates were discussed, which were the same, to be charged on the credit card. On Saturday, the staff went above their service and shuttled us to another location to continue on with a great night. Sounds like I should have give them a 5 star rating? Well I would have except for the fact that we were over charged by $60.00. On Sunday morning our bill was put under or door and was there in the morning for us to see what we were charged. The EXACT same as we agreed, so we went down checked out and received another statement of the bill and still the same. WELL, we checked our checking account on our way home, which was a 6 hour drive, and it said the Hotel bill was $60 dollars more than what was agreed upon from the first conversation to the last with hotel staff. So I called and talked to a supervior or manager of that hotel and explained to him what the problem was. He informed me that we were charged a "Room Service" rate which we NEVER used but were charged it anyways and it will be credited back to our account by in 3 to 4 days. NOW... If I used any additional charges from the stay, I can see being charged it at the time of checkout and even stated on our bill. EXCEPT, it wasn't! I told the staff that this additional charge was never told to us through any of the conversations I had from the time of booking the room to the time we check out. I was p off because I felt like the hotel was taking a "cheap shot" and charging us for something we never used.
In the future, this hotel needs to make their guests aware of any additional charges whether its used or not, to determine if they will stay there.

Room Tip: Beaware of any additional charges!!!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your candid feedback and I can certainly understand your frustration with the billing. All hotels obtain credit card / debit card authorizations for the projected amount to cover room, tax and a percentage for incidental charges. Incidental charges may include; valet, in-room movies, long distance telephone calls, and room service. The authorization is not a charge, but does place a hold on your available credit limit. Authorization holds are a way to protect the hotel from the guest making new charges on their card in the period between your check-in and check-out and thus failing to have available credit to pay for their stay. Once you check-out the authorization hold will convert to the true charge in typically 2 to 3 business days. We have hosted the Trans Am National for the past 4 years and have really enjoyed meeting all of the vendors, participants and spectators alike. I hope you will reconsider and stay with us again next year.