“Reasonable for business travel--good eating”

Marriott at the University of Dayton
Ranked #2 of 46 Hotels in Dayton
Reviewed November 25, 2012

I had to travel to Dayton on business and decided to try this Marriott. It is by no means a luxury hotel, but it meets the basic needs for business travel. The hotel is close to the University of Dayton, and one gets the feeling that it's popular for parents at key times and sports teams playing against the school. It appeared to have a bustling conference schedule while we were there, as well. The school clearly impacts the professional travel. The lobby is large, but the hotel has the feel of the hotel/motel genre. This feeling comes in part from the lack of a sundry store, replaced instead with a corner off the check-in counter where you can pick up things like cereal, small beverages and snacks. The hotel is only about 6 stories high. We had requested a "suite" but apparently that did not get through. They accommodated us with a larger room, but it was a little awkward because it was outfitted for wheelchair access--very large bath area, low shower head, etc. The bed was comfortable but literally crowned, so if you moved too far from the middle you began to slide and roll. The furniture was old and not very comfortable, but the work area was spacious and internet access worked well. The staff was young and friendly, and managed to get us what we needed (not much). As for the food, there are two good restaurants on property (which is good because there is nothing within eyesight nearby. You're not downtown. Both served good fare; one with an Italian fare and one bar & grill. We tried both, including room service, and they were acceptable (tip for room service--this is not a real business hotel and the food is not available very late)

Room Tip: Room service closes relatively early. We had early morning meetings, and breakfast was not availabl...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed November 24, 2012

This hotel is slightly dated but makes up for that with impeccable service. The front desk manager, Bobby, was very friendly and upgraded the room to a parlor suite thanks to my MR Platinum card. The room was nice and spacious and the bathroom was set off from the main area of the room, which I always prefer. The hotel is convenient to both University of Daytona and the Oakwood area. We caught a taxi for $6 into Oakwood. The complimentary breakfast coupons aren't offered by all Marriotts on the weekends, so it was a nice surprise. The breakfast was very tasty too. All in all, this is definitely my go-to hotel for quick trips to Dayton.

Room Tip: join MR Rewards. Your company likely already has an agreement for a free upgrade in their elite prog...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 15, 2012

This hotel is only a five minute drive from my house, but because of a power outage my family needed to seek accommodations for the weekend. We stayed here because we hoped power in our neighborhood would be restored the next day, and wanted to be close enough to run home and check.

The rooms were nice and clean, albeit a tad bit cramped. The bathroom was roomy, though, and just as clean as the rest of the rooms. The hotel lounge was nice and relaxing.

Unfortunately, my room was situated right above the nightclub the hotel also operates, and it was a bit rowdy on that particular night. Interfered with my sleep, but it wasn't an all night problem. The rate was a bit high, and when we found the power hadn't been restored the next day we moved on to another hotel.

Not sure I'll have a reason to stay here again, but my place of business accommodates several visitors each year, and we often refer them to this hotel. I'll continue to do so.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Let's not beat around the bush--if you are in Dayton you most likely aren't on vacation. We stayed while we were up for my Grandmother's 90th birthday. The room was more than suitable with lots of tv channels and plenty of space. We were able to get a travel cot/pack and play for my son to sleep in at no extra charge.

We forgot to bring diapers and the front desk staff were very helpful helping us find someplace still open that would sell them late at night.

Breakfast was great and the wait staff were so very friendly. There is your typical breakfast buffet plus a waffle iron station and an omelette bar. You can also order off the menu if you like.

I would more than recommend staying here especially if you are in town for anything at UD which is walking distance away.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

To be honest, the outside of this hotel looks a little worn and dated. The inside has been or in in the process of being completely upgraded. I stayed in a room that was perfect. The bathroom had just been completely redone - I might have been the first to use it based on the fact that the tiles were actually sparkling and the shower curatain was still partly folded at the bottom. This hotel also has a great staff and way above average service.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

Was in Dayton for a business meeting. Stayed at the Dayton Marriott. Pleasant hotel, comfortable rooms. Very friendly and accomodating staff. I left my cell phone charger and they gladly lent me a charger and just asked me to return it when i check out, which I did. Free wireless was nice. Hotel is used by a number of visiting sports teams. They like to congregate in the hallways so it can be a bit noisy.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My only complaint is that rooms with two beds have full size beds rather than queen beds. Otherwise, it's a great hotel. The rooms are clean, the bedding is Marriott's high standard, and the towels are thick by hotel standards.