“Just Ok”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Dayton South
Ranked #9 of 46 Hotels in Dayton
Reviewed May 18, 2010

We had a difficult time trying to find a hotel in Dayton that was not overpriced. We finally settled for the Fairfield Inn. This hotel is dated. If you are not going to spend much time at the hotel, then it is not a problem... if you are looking to relax at the hotel and in your room you may want to pay the extra money and stay somewhere else. The staff was courteous.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank armaynard

Reviewed March 3, 2010

I stayed at this place for 5 days and my stay was wonderful. The hotel is very clean and they have maintained it nicely. The room was beautiful, comfortable and cozy. The surrounding is quiet and pleasant. It has indoor swimming pool also. They serve free breakfast. It doesn't have free internet inside the room but you can access it on hotel's computer in lobby area. The ladies at front desk were helpful and check-in/out was easy. It has Quiznos, McDonalds, Car rental and gas station near by.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
1  Thank iluvtravel28
Reviewed October 8, 2009

We selected this hotel based on the price and free breakfast. It turned out to be a great choice as the rooms were clean and the breakfast was varied enough for picky eaters.
The staff was great, no problem getting a late checkout. The pool and hot tub were nice also.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank GaryJackster
Reviewed November 10, 2008

This hotel was in a convenient location in Dayton where I was staying for two nights. I have family in the area and we only spent evenings there. Check in and check out were both easy. Breakfast was the usual, but they rn out of spray for the waffle machine and the waffles all got stuck. I tried one of those Jimmy Dean sandwiches and it was okay. The area for eating was small.

The biggest issue was that there were preteen boys and their parents all over the hotel. When we entered at night, the parents were standing in the lobby area drinking beers and making it difficult to pass through. Their children were running through the hallway and also having the run of the pool. I might add, that the next morning the pool was closed due to glass being found. I wonder why? I get annoyed by the parents who allow their kids to do this, but also at the hotel management which allowed this. Normally, there are only 1 or 2 workers at night. When the hotel sees a group of kids they should have more on staff.

Because we came home tired, we fell asleep with our tv on easily. The room was clean and comfortable. We expect that with any Marriott hotel and we continue to make those our hotels of choice. Would I stay there again? Yes.

There was a Holiday Inn Express closer to my destination, but they were charging $40 more per night. I got a great value of $76 through the hotel / AAA, but then found a coupon in the travel guide, which saved $6 each night! I'll take it!

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank whpiman
Reviewed November 27, 2007

I really liked this place, stayed over the Thanksgiving Holiday, I think the hotel was quite booked. Got the senior rate, only $72, because we were visiting my in laws. The breakfast was great, lots of choices, the waffle was perfect. It was quiet, clean, and had a super nice staff. Clean pool, plenty of towels. Great location, near Dayton Mall. Would stay again.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank julieannmarie
Reviewed July 28, 2007

Nice hotel for the money--stayed here on business in June. Quiet, clean rooms, good parking, and within walking distance to several decent chain restaurants. Staff was helpful, and the continental breakfast was decent. I would stay here again. Internet was cable-only, but really fast.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled on business
2  Thank MI_Bus_Traveler
Reviewed July 27, 2007

I stayed here in July. I was in Dayton visiting my parents and needed a hotel as my parents place cannot really accomodate me comfortably.

I paid about $79 and Marriott had a special where you get $50 in bonus bucks if you stay during the promotional period.

The hotel is not easy to find and I grew up down this way. It's situated on the Centerville side of the mall very close to the I-675 on-ramp, but is behind a McDonalds and BP gas station. I had to call for exact directions since the hotel has poor visibility.

The checkin was reasonably efficient and I ended up with a room on the third floor. It was clean and well maintained. You never get a lot of extras at the Fairfield which is fine. The bathroom and plenty of soaps and shampoo.

One question though. Why not a proper curtain? With just the thin shears hanging, it was pretty easy to see inside the rooms from outside.

Anyway, I did not have breakfast so I cannot comment on that. Free high-speed internet is becoming a must in larger hotels but its nice to see this place with it.

Its a bit cliche to complain about other guests (as if a hotel manager can watch ever person every minute). Nevertheless, some sort of kiddie group was staying that weekend. Probably some out of town cheerleading or sports team. I never once actually saw an adult while these kids were running around the hotel or diving in the pool. They were pretty out of control.

At checkout, I did not receive my bonus bucks and the desk person gave a rather lame excuse. However, I emailed Marriott afterwards and received an apology along with my bonus bucks in the mail, so that was resolved without any problems.

Overall its hard to complain. Everyone seemed to work hard for guest comfort and I feel like I got my money's worth.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family