“Older property trying to upgrade”

Cumberland Island Inn & Suites
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in St. Marys
Reviewed September 2, 2013

A 4 building complex with 2 ice machines in one room in the back of building number 1, with 1 drink machine and a couple of washer's and dryers for the guest who don't happen to get a suite with all the amenities in a 2 room suite. We were moved after the first night, a room with 2 double beds.Our phone in the room did not work and we found a dying roach in the bathroom the next morning. The next 2 nights we had suite with a king and all the amenities of a small apartment.
2 flat screen TV's of which only 1 worked with the remote. Had to unplug to turn off. Bath towels were old and well used. Must admit that rooms where kept clean and beds where comfortable.
Would have to think real hard about staying again or recommending to friends. We were there for a fraternal family reunion of 6 rooms, made months earlier and were not even in the same building as requested. 1 room in bldg. #1, 2 rooms in bldg. #3 and 3 rooms in bld. # 2

Room Tip: Request a 2 room suite. Same price as 2 doubles
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Michael F

Reviewed June 25, 2013

I have stayed at this hotel three times in as many years and find the staff helpful, the anemnities perfect (where do you get a washer and dryer in your room?) and the grounds beautiful. Thanks to the entire staff. I'll be back!

Room Tip: everything you need is here!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Judy P
Dave P, General Manager at Cumberland Island Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

We are happy you were once again satisfied with your stay. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

We asked if they give military discount and the receptionist said that he will ask the manager in the morning. I went to check the status the following day and I was told NO they do not give discount not unless we're going to stay there for 7 days. If not only for the work that we did that second day we could have moved to another hotel. The suite that I had is kinda old the AC units were loud and kept me up most of the nights. The room need maintenance and their kitchen has barely stuff in there to cook. Their pool is closed since it need treatment, And their bar is also closed. I used the gym and grab their towel I almost threw up when I smelled it looks like it has been used and they just put it back - I tried two towels and both had the same smell.

To all my military and government coworkers try to get a hotel other than this it is not worth the $89+ tax that you are going to spend.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Aceman61
Dave P, General Manager at Cumberland Island Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

I'm sorry you were less than satisfied with your stay. Being so close to Kings Bay Naval Base, we are proud to serve any and all military and government personnel.

We offer our standard rooms at less than the government per diem, an 11% discount. You, however, opted to stay in a two room suite which is obviously more expensive. For our guests staying seven nights or longer, we do extend the government rate for those occupying a suite. Your stay was only for four nights.

As for the kitchen supplies, all suites are equipped with a set of pots & pans, plates, glassware, utensils, toaster, coffee pot, microwave, full size stove, and refrigerator. We even have a washer/dryer in the suites. We try to offer all of the conveniences of home.

Once again, I apologize that you were disappointed.

Reviewed June 13, 2013

We stayed at the Cumberland Inn & Suites after arriving in St Marys with BRAG (Bicycle Ride Across Georgia). The hotel looks a little sketchy on the outside but rooms were comfortable and clean. The rooms had amenities of refrigerator, microwave and in room coffee. The breakfast was sufficient to get us on the road. It was conveniently located to the downtown area. If I am ever in St Marys again I would stay there.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank COMO1ColumbiaMO

Thank you for your comments, we're glad you enjoyed your stay. We were very happy to have several BRAG participants stay with us.

Reviewed May 31, 2013

Quiet, clean, frig in room. Charming gazebo and pool in garden setting with barbeques. I was going to pay $260 to stay near the waterfront in a B&B or $190 for a moldy vacation rental. But then I realized there was no frig in my room and I don't like the lack of privacy and mildew in old homes turned into Bed & Breakfasts. For $200 in savings, I was willing to give up being a block from the ferry. AAA and military discounts. Walk to banks, movie theaters and drug stores. Plenty of parking in town so why not drive for $200 a night?

Room Tip: Second floor has no elevator, but no one walking over head. Rooms facing the pool have nice view.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ecolux
Dave P, General Manager at Cumberland Island Inn & Suites, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2013

Thank you so much. We are thrilled your stay was a pleasant experience and that you had a wonderful time in St. Marys. We look forward to having you stay with us on your next trip.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

I stayed here while visiting my daughter for 2 weeks, and stayed in a suite. My room was nice, clean, and quiet. Loved the wood floors, and having a kitchen and washer and dryer was convenient. The staff was really nice. No complaints... I will stay here next time.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank karen g

Thank you for your kind comments. We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us while visiting family and that you were happy with our suites.
We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

Cumberland Island Inn and Suites enjoys an ideal location for those visiting Cumberland Island. The price is certainly the best and our generous package included a $40.00 voucher for food at one of two top restaurants of your choice and the forty-five minute ferry trip over to Cumberland Island. Located a mere, almost traffic-less seven minutes north of the St. Marys Historic District is a real plus. The well maintained grounds consist of several buildings of rooms, a lovely gazebo, a picnic area, and a covered outdoor pool. Unfortunately, winds approaching gale proportions and driving rain the entire time we were there prevented us from using any of them. The main building where guests sign in, features a lovely reception area, a small but completely equipped workout room, and the usual breakfast area. All immaculately maintained. Our love affair ended the moment upon entering our room. The smell was that of a place that had been closed up for years. It knocked us back. I must make it clear, it was our choice to stay there once I sprayed thoroughly. Because the management was outstanding, I am sure we could have changed rooms had we asked. I only mention this as a factor for visitors with allergies. Non-carpeted floors, however, were a real plus for those of us who are highly allergic. The beds, bedding, drawer space, spotless refrigerator and microwave were all standard. The bathroom and "vanity" area, left much to be desired. The uninviting, stained black top of the vanity would have been a poor choice even when it was new . The soap dish was appalling and the usual complimentary bath accessories, unappealing. Every sad towel showed its age and needed replacing. An unfinished, raggedy hole in the wall where a pipe of the commode lacked the usual cosmetic plate that hid such connections. An online description of the amenities at the Inn included "a free deluxe breakfast featuring Belgian waffles" , "restaurant", and night life in the lounge. While the self-serve breakfast was fresh and inviting (the best coffee ever), the fare was standard for "chains." The only restaurant nearby was across the street, and the lounge had been closed for seven years. The aforementioned outstanding management, however, did give hope that the lounge might open again in the future. Otherwise, loved the good stuff and would stay there again.

Room Tip: State your needs up front when you sign in and if your room is not up to your standard, this managem...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Barbara C

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns regarding your recent stay.

I agree with the comments about the black vanity, although it is clean it shows water stains and is a constant source of frustration. I'm not sure what the problem was with the smell upon entering your room, but it is something we will definitely address.

We hope to see you on your next trip to St. Marys.

Also consider these accommodations in or near St. Marys
Riverview Hotel
Riverview Hotel
#2 of 4 in St. Marys
Seaside Amelia Inn
Seaside Amelia Inn
#5 of 13 in Fernandina Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Amelia Island-Historic Harbor Front
Hampton Inn & Suites Amelia Isla...
#2 of 13 in Fernandina Beach
Best Western Plus Kingsland
Villas of Amelia Island Plantation
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Kingsland

Been to Cumberland Island Inn & Suites? Share your experiences!