“Highly Recommend This Tour”

Schooners Steelaway-Day Boat Tours
Knoxville, Tennessee
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Highly Recommend This Tour”
Reviewed July 2, 2012

My wife and I took my parents and godparents out for a sunset cruise on Schooner Steelaway as part of their 40th anniversary trip. The owners are wonderful, friendly, interesting people who are experts on the water and make extra efforts to be sure that everybody is comfortable and having a good time. Steelaway is a beautiful sailing vessel and the chance to be on board with just a few people is a rare experience that you shouldn't miss. Combined with the beautiful scenery of coastal Georgia this is one of the best sailing opportunities in the U.S.

Visited May 2012
3 Thank Jason C

Cocoa Beach, Florida
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 159 helpful votes
“Lovely experience!”
Reviewed June 19, 2012

While visiting the quaint coastal town of St. Marys, we noticed a tall ship that docked and a group of people disembarked.

I asked the last person off the ship if he owned it (he looks like the captain of a ship!) and he said yes. John took his time to answer all my curious questions. His love for his boat and the sea captivated me. I found out that It took he and his wife eleven years to construct this ship made of steel.

They take folks out on cruises of the St. Marys River several times a day.

We choose to take the one that left at 5:30pm for $35.00. We were allowed to bring a bottle of wine on board the ship, but I forgot my wine opener. Anne, the co-owner of the ship was kind enough to loan me hers.

The weather was perfect the end of April when we sailed. John and Anne were great to get to know, along with their two cats.

I would recommend this as an unusual type of thing to do if you live near by or find yourself in the area.

www.schoonersteelaway.com

Visited April 2012
6 Thank Islandsue
St. Marys, Georgia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Just Lovely”
Reviewed June 19, 2012

The Schooner Steelaway is an extraordinary vessel with a welcoming, accommodating and experienced crew. St. Marys itself is one of the last of the quiet coastal heritage towns; rich in natural beauty and charm. With museums, cafes and restaurants, unique B&Bs, historic Oak Grove Cemetery, a Binational Peace Garden, beautiful churches and welcoming citizens, St. Marys also offers the only access to the incomparable Cumberland Island National Seashore. What better way to round out your visit than a tour on a custom built, steel hull, 3 masted, gaff rigged schooner? http://www.exploregeorgia.org/Georgia/Attractions/Schooner-Steelaway-Tall-Ship/2409354

Visited February 2012