“State of benign neglect.”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Riverview Hotel

Riverview Hotel
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in St. Marys
Scranton, PA, USA
“State of benign neglect.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2009

The hotel is located in a lovely spot, and has lots of history attached. The staff is warm and friendly, and very accomodating. The rooms are "adequately" clean but worn, and though full of lovely antique furniture, are sadly neglected, needing a good cleaning and polishing.

The public rooms are friendly and service is excellent (bar and restaurant). The continental breakfast is adequate for a hotel of this type.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Midway, GA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Riverside the last weekend in January. The owners were very accommodating in allowing me to check in early, 11AM, as my husband had to drop me off and continue on to a meeting in Jacksonville. Although the room was not ready, I was able to drop my things and go explore the town for a bit. The hotel has the potential to be awesome, great location, history, and people but it need to be renovated badly. Our room overlooked both the river and second floor balcony and with four windows was very cold. The window heat/air unit did not produce heat and although a portable heater was provided it shut off in the middle of the night and we woke up freezing. The bed was broken, resting on a pile of bricks, and sloped to on side. The carpets and furniture were dirty and well worn and the whole place was dark and smelled of cigarette smoke. All in all I don't think we will go back unless they make some major changes.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Savannah Ga
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2008

I already wrote a review earlier...BUT was BEFORE I returned again this year. (Do not know why I called their restaurant "Skylar's...oops! Senior moment!)
Unfortunately the restaurant was closed on Mondays so I had to skip their delicious Rock shrimp this trip.
Had a wonderful eve..the sunset from the Veranda perfect, and the Bag piper playing as it set was a treat!
My room was the corner one overlooking the Ferry dock...bed was comfy, room was cool, bath clean. I was there on a dog rescue mission (delivering a rescue to it's foster home) so got to bring my dog with me...which was a nice treat. Yes... the room is a little "shabby""...carpet needs to be replaced and the window panes...other than that, no complaints! Had dinner across the street at "Pauly's" (make reservations...tiny)...and a huge breakfast 3 doors down at Riverside Cafe (also dog-friendly) across from the docks.
(Langs Marina Rest is also good if you go ....closed Mondays)...
I recommend rooms # 12-17..all overlook the river.
If you go by boat, there is overnight docking at Lang's Rest...and 36 hour parking across the street if friends want to meet up with the boat. The "new" river front park is really lovely. And do check out the old cemetary and the sweet neighborhoods...great houses all over the township. Really SEE St Mary's if you go...it's worth the trip!

• Liked — locale
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled solo
tifton ga
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2008

Recently i stayed at the riverview hotel,on my way to stay on cumberland isle. The front desk clerk was informative about restaurants and general knowledge of the area . They had parking on the front of the hotel and on the side. The Hotel is noticeably in need of renovation. I inquired of the proprieters of the riverview,what were there plans. Mrs. Jerry Brandon informed me that they had been approved for a historical building renovation project to begin at the end of the year. It is a nice place where they remember u year after year.For the brave go and have a drink in the saloon.. I will definately recommend this hotel to friends and family.

• Liked — historic aspect,and convenience to ferry to cumberland isle.
  • Disliked — no hot tub available.
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
Orlando
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2008

Ok, I loved the Riverview! The history alone was exciting to me.

Now, while I understand the peeling wallpaper and the chipped window frames, to me it's part of the charm, I have to agree with the others that the cleaning could be better. The sheets and towels were clean and carpets free of visible dirt. I did read ahead of time of the smoke smell so carried room freshner with me. Any of you who get room #17 can thank me later.
The cleaning of the hallways and stairs weren't the best and cobwebs were noticable in many corners.
You can feel the history of this place where ever you go. There is a balcony that overlooks the main street with chairs and tables. It was neat to come out and watch the goings on. We had no problems with noise. No there is no a/c in the lobby or any common area, they were just added to the rooms. Since I didn't spend much time there I didn't care. The hosts were very friendly and helpful in anything we needed.
If I were spending $150.00 per night I might have a problem with some of these things, but to stay in a part of history for $70.00 per night??? I'd come again in a heartbeat!

• Liked — Location!!!!
  • Disliked — Only the cleanliness of common areas
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank Susan N
Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2008

This hotel has great potential for being historic and quaint and while I admit I did not see all of the rooms we had to leave after our first night because we could not tolerate the filth. I was traveling with my daughter so we were not interested in the bar, but maybe that would have made the place look better. I am not a very picky person, I don't stay at high end hotels but I don't expect t find piles of dirt on the floor in the lobby, halls, stairway and on the windowsill in the room. We were uncomfortable walking on the bathroom floor without shoes on, the tub faucet was completely corroded through on the underside and the shower was ridiculous and scary to turn on. The comforter was dirty and the carpet in the room had not been vacuumed. I don't know if there is usually air conditioning in the common areas of the hotel but there wasn't any during our stay. The lobby, halls and foyer on the second floor were stiflingly hot and the air in the room had not been on anytime recently and the vent was filthy. We could not stay in the room immediately and had to leave while the window air conditioner tried to cool the room. The room never got cool, because with the ceilings so high and the bathroom large there was no way the the small air conditioner could keep the space comfortable. I was truly disappointed because I was looking for a unique place to stay. It doesn't take a lot to vacuum and dust, its unfortunate that this hotel is so poorly maintained because it could be a true gem.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Cleanliness
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank FloridaAbby
atlanta
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2008

Well... We just returned from our vacation, which included a stay at the Riverview. We were suposed to stay two nights, but changed our mind about going to Cumberland and shortened it to one night... After spending a night at the Riverview I was thankful we didn't stay again.
Starting with the positive... it is convenient to "downtown." The price was wonderful. It was quaint. The man working the front desk was very nice. The food at Seagles was awesome. We had a great view of the river! Sitting in the park and people watching was fun.

On the down side...The mattresses were horrible, the sheets looked like they were bought at a yard sale, one set had grease stains on it. The window frame was being held together with duct tape, and the wood was rotting. The toilet and tub were stained very badly... I'm sure they were clean, though. There was no phone in the room. In the top drawer of the dresser, we found an old bag of peanuts and a package of taco bell hot sauce. Window unit air conditioner didn't keep the whole room cool.

I would stay there again in a heartbeat if it was renovated! New mattresses and sheets would be a HUGE improvement. Painting the rooms and taking down the wallpaper would be a "quick fix" too! This hotel has so much potential. I wonder if the owners have looked into grant money to assist with the repairs.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — rooms
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near St. Marys
Cumberland Island Inn & Suites
The Seaside Amelia Inn
The Seaside Amelia Inn
#5 of 11 in Fernandina Beach
Days Inn & Suites Amelia Island at the Beach
Days Inn & Suites Amelia Island ...
#11 of 11 in Fernandina Beach
Hampton Inn & Suites Amelia Island-Historic Harbor Front
Hampton Inn & Suites Amelia Isla...
#2 of 11 in Fernandina Beach
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,391 reviews
Mariners Suites
Mariners Suites
#15 of 21 in Kingsland
Spencer House Inn Bed and Breakfast

Been to Riverview Hotel? Share your experiences!