Riverview Hotel
Cumberland Island Inn & Suites(St. Marys)(Great Value!)
$79
$112
$85
$71
$85
Magnolia Inn - Kingsland(Kingsland)(Great Value!)
$48
$46
All reviewscumberland islandhistoric hotelferry dockbox lunchsecond floor balconystep back in timeupstairs porchrock shrimppicnic lunchmarys rivergreat historyplace to stayearly ferryrocking chairsbagelsup to datechain hotel
Reviewed May 12, 2013

An old hotel (100 years?) which could be a quaint experience. I was with a group so I don't know cost/value. Internet for computer worked but harder to connect for iPhones/Tablets. Individual room AC worked well. Lobby is crowded with memorabilia. A cat and dog (both friendly) room the place. Owners were comfortable with the lobby door open (for breeze) or closed. Modern conveniences are more to my liking so not quite my thing. Location next to the ferry is great and the owner gave me her last cup of laundry detergent to use at the store next door.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank TrekRef
Reviewed May 1, 2013

I've stayed at the Riverview three times. It is truly a kind of time travel experience to stay here: a little like being in a Cagney movie from the 1930's
Yes, it's a little dusty and there's a dog wandering around holding a fish-skeleton (with head) in its mouth. And a very friendly cat on a chair in the lobby. It's not a Hampton Inn. The rooms are a little small, but the bathroom with our room was clean and updated: lovely tile, plenty of hot water. I took a shower and ended up drying myself with a couple of hand-towels, which was ok. We eventually got bath towels (as did another guest who also hadn't gotten any).
It all works out.
The food at Seagles, its restaurant was ok, if unexciting.
The bar, though, is not to be missed. Comfortable, well-stocked, every inch of the walls covered in old advertisements or wise-guy signs.
Cindy, the Queen, runs the place. Cindy is a piece of work, trading hilarious foul-mouthed insults with the regulars, loudly, but without malice. She's a tug-boat Annie type, with dozens of tattoos covering her arms and legs. She's a force of nature and not to be missed.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the docks.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank petoq
Reviewed March 22, 2013

I have to second, third, fourth... what other reviewers have said about the maintenance of this place. I've been in a lot of older buildings, and old doesn't have to mean dirty, dingy, or ill maintained, but that's how the Riverview felt. I wanted to love it, I really did, but I couldn't. The location is their best feature, right across the street from the dock for the Cumberland Island ferry. Our river view room was smaller than I expected from the photos online, but part of that may have been that they crammed two chairs into the already small room on each side of the door, so I felt claustrophobic walking in. The antique furniture could have used a good polishing. There were no hooks of any kind in the bathroom to hang your towels or clothes, which was a huge annoyance. There was tile in the bathroom that was cracked and creaky, and I suspect that they laid tile down on top of the hardwood floor without doing proper prep work. It appeared that the owners tried to do some minor upgrade and improvements but didn't pay attention to the details and finish work, like a horrible grout and paint job around the edge of a fairly new shower stall and a lack of simple cleaning. The floors, both in our room and on the rugs upstairs, needed a good vacuuming. The pillows on the bed were flat and not comfortable, and the bed was very creaky just to sit on, much less roll around on. I will say that the water pressure in the shower was excellent, but that was about the best thing... except for Cocoa the dog who greeted us quietly as we arrived and the old cat who lives upstairs. The breakfast was okay, I guess, but nothing substantial, so if you need something more than bagels, fruit, oatmeal, and coffee, then you'll need to go a couple doors down to the cafe on the same block. We just didn't get a welcome reception when we arrived, and even though two of the owners were downstairs while we were grabbing coffee before we checked out, neither of them bothered to even say "good morning" to us. I wish we'd paid just a little more money and stayed in one of the three B&B's within walking distance downtown, because this was little more than a place to lay our heads for the night. If we ever go to Cumberland Island again, I seriously doubt we'll stay at the Riverview Hotel again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank elarbol
Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

I really wanted to love this hotel. The location right across from the ferry docks, beautiful big windows and the view of the river were unfortunately the best features. The historic hotel is lovely, but as another reviewer mentioned, the maintenance is really lacking. The common areas badly needed a vacuum when we were there. However, the rooms themselves were clean and the beds comfortable. We did not have any problems at all with noise. The breakfast could only be described as adequate. Unfortunately the staff were apathetic and made little effort to be welcoming. Enjoyed fresh oysters and shrimp at Shark Bites next door.

• Stayed: March 2013
2  Thank MichiganWildflower
Reviewed March 13, 2013 via mobile

A truly charming old building with wonderful old windows and amazing waterfront views. We loved being able to walk across the street to the Cumberland Island ferry. Breakfast was adequate, but no options for hot tea. The renovated bath/ shower was done with beautiful travertine, but basic maintenance and housekeeping is lacking. (Could someone sweep the beautiful stairway?!)We did love Daisy the cat! If only the owners would have more passion for the gem of history they own!

• Stayed: March 2013