“A long time favorite”

Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in St. Marys
Kennesaw, GA
“A long time favorite”
Reviewed March 13, 2008

I've been staying at the Riverview two or three times a year for over twenty years. It's almost like a home away from home by now. This is truely one of the bargains in the state. The location couldn't be any better. Jerry and Gaila are terrific hosts, the place has been in Jerry's family for generations. This isn't a Holiday Inn, it's a real inn. Every room is different and they're all charming. Yes, it's old, that's part of it's charm. It could use a minor repair here and there, again part of the charm. If you're looking for a enjoyable and distinctive experiance at a great price, this is the place to stay.

• Liked — Location, staff, price, history
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled solo
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
little rock arkansas
Reviewed December 31, 2007

The Riverview is the type place I wish I could recommend. It is a historic two story hotel in the historic district of St Marys, Georgia - off the beaten path and at a dead end on a gorgeous river with close and direct access to the Atlantic Ocean and the picturesque inland waterways and marshes off the Georgia Coast. We had stayed there several times a little over a decade ago as a jumping off spot to backpacking trips to beautiful Cumberland Island National Seashore. The ferry leaves for there across the street from the hotel. We returned with our child and friends after a long respite to go back to the Island. The hotel had been what I'd call "basic" in the early nineties. Nothing fancy, laid back, friendly owners, reasonable rates, great views of the sea, generally clean and with an interesting history. The friendly owner, history, views and low rates are still there, but unhappily the owner has not invested much in the property since we left. It has honestly been a long time since I have seen overnight lodging in such condition. Mold, peeling wall paper, torn carpeting, rusted out sink, and the list goes on with each look around the rooms. We expected basic and unfortunately it was more like a flophouse. The very genial owner explained that the property, which has been in his family for decades, has been on the market. He said he plans to spend several hundred thousand dollars on it in the next year. Before I could take my family there again, I'd need to know that the work had been done.

• Liked — location, genial owners, friendly cat
  • Disliked — mold, poor state of repair
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank jimjade3
albany, ny
Reviewed November 21, 2007

This was the most wonderful hotel I have ever stayed at. It's not a Holiday Inn or EconoLodge, a soulless chain where every hotel looks exactly alike whether you're in Maine or California. The Riverview has a timeless magic. I woke up one morning to find that my window exactly framed the most beautiful sunrise I have ever seen. And you can sit in the porch swing and watch the sun set over the marsh, as the pelicans settle in for the night on the pilings. Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings (author of The Yearling) stayed here, and wrote of its beauty and charm. It's a trip back in time. The staff was excellent, the room was delightfully clean, the bed was soft, and the price was reasonable. I can't wait to go back.

• Liked — old-fashioned charm and personality
  • Disliked — they should not allow smoking in the bar
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled solo
1 Thank heyes88
United States
Reviewed October 29, 2007

Please do yourself a favor and do not book a room at this hotel. It is the closest hotel to the Cumberland Island, but that is where the positives end. The hotel lobby smelled like the accumulation of years of cigarette smoke and spilled beer(it has double doors that lead directly into an adjacent bar). The room was awful. With a floor covered in dirty torn carpet and walls filled with holes(one of which that was repaired by being filled with toilet paper!) and peeling paint & wallpaper. The pillows were paper thin and the mattress was uncomfortable. To top off the whole experience there was no hot water in the morning. We left the hotel with a look of fright on our faces that can only come after staying in a place truly that dirty. I will admit that it is our fault for not cancelling our reservation as soon as we saw the room. We did see the room upfront, but we thought "how bad could it be?" we were staying only a night after all. Trust me it was not worth the convenience of being near ther ferry. Unless you are looking for a truly disgusting experience do not stay at the Riverview.

• Liked — Location in relationship to Cumberland Island Ferry.
  • Disliked — Everything Else!
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank element674
Atlanta
Reviewed January 14, 2007

We booked this hotel based on the positive reviews on Tripadvisor, which has compelled me to write this one. The location is great, but that's where the positives end. My wife and I drove to St. Mary's to visit Cumberland Island and the RiverView Hotel was the most conveniently located in relation to the ferry. However, we wound up cancelling our reservation after we saw the room.

The exterior of the hotel was old a bit cheezy, being coated with what looked like an anachronistic and cheap (and dirty) stucco. The lobby was dingy, but I suppose could be considered "charming" and was excusable. However, when we entered our room upstairs, we were a bit disgusted and were forced to cancel our room for the night. The room was small, measuring maybe 10 feet by 10 feet, and lacked the most basic amenities (like a TV). The bed frame seemed broken, as the head board leaned forward by about 20 degrees. The sheets had visible stains. The wall paint was peeling in the room and the bathroom's wallpaper was peeling from moisture. The carpet was heavily stained and frayed. The bathroom floor's linoleum was peeling and the yellow-stained floor was clearly visible beaneath. The rooms only mirror was not only very small, but stained with age and the room had the same musty smell as the rest of the hotel.

Fortunately the lady at the front desk recognized our complaints (calling the hotel "old" instead of "in dire need of a cleaning and repair".) and cancelled our room without giving us any trouble. We left and went onto the Cumberland Inn which, though not as conveniently located (being about 2 miles from the Cumberland ferry) was far superior.

We're not hotel snobs, but this hotel made Motel 6 look like the Four Seasons. We generally expect a clean room at a minimum, but the Riverview failed to provide that.

• Liked — The Location
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Tips/Secrets — Stay at the comparably priced Cumberland Inn
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with family
4 Thank BinkyLover
jacksonville
Reviewed September 21, 2006

First I want to say I travel alot and have stayed at many five star hotels.If thats what your looking for dont stay here.
I love this place because of its feel of going back in time.
It has a smell of antiques,not mold! Its full of charm here! I didnt expect much when my friend stayed here but she wanted me to have a drink at the bar.I love Cindy who is the bartender here.She is a riot and full of spunk. It is smokey in the bar and thats my only complaint.
The bed was very comfy and I loved the cats who would greet you after a long day out. My room overlooked the water and it was quiet.They said my room was haunted but I didnt experience anything.Darn!
One night I sat on the veranda having wine and chatting with locals.I really enjoyed my two night stay here and my husband and I are going back this weekend to celebrate my 40th birthday.
He offered me the Greyfield Inn,but I will save that for cooler weather.The Riverview is my choice to stay,have drinks and enjoy the quaint town and all its antique shops.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
2 Thank Stephanie A
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 5, 2006

in the last year,things have really changed at the Riverview.With new additions to the staff, the place is cleaner and more repairs have been made.Anyone who gave this hotel a less than excellent review is a liar or cannot be made hapy.The staff is extremely helpful and pleasent to talk with. The rooms are comfortable and spotless-i can't believe I read a review on here about the Riverview being gross and disgusting! it's simply not true, i've been coming for years and it gets better all the time!! Families will love it for the space and location, couples will love it for the romantic setting, and no one is ever turned away for having a pet they want to bring-the riverview welcomes all!

• Stayed April 2006
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near St. Marys
Cumberland Island Inn & Suites
Days Inn & Suites Amelia Island at the Beach
Days Inn & Suites Amelia Island ...
#10 of 12 in Fernandina Beach
Residence Inn Amelia Island
Residence Inn Amelia Island
#1 of 12 in Fernandina Beach
Comfort Suites Oceanview Amelia Island
Comfort Suites Oceanview Amelia ...
#11 of 12 in Fernandina Beach

Been to Riverview Hotel? Share your experiences!