New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Great location in this quiet town” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Goodbread Inn Bed and Breakfast

Goodbread Inn Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 3 St. Marys B&B and Inns
“Great location in this quiet town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

My wife and I took a short vacation to St. Marys and stayed three nights at the Goodbread. We wanted to be close to the restaurants and water, and the Goodbread is two blocks from all that downtown St. Marys has to offer. Granted, there isn't much to the downtown area, but we were looking for a quieter stay. We got a great summer special rate, and our room was even upgraded due to vacancy. Another big draw was that we were able to bring our dog with us as some of the other B&B's downtown would not allow this. We were also only an hour from Amelia, Jekyll, and St. Simon's Island if you wanted to take a day trip to those places. We enjoyed the complimentary wine in the evening and would drink on the swings on the veranda.

Our only complaints are minor. The house is old, and the walls are thin. This didn't matter as we were on the only guests one night. My wife and I thought the rooms and furnishings were kind of cheesy but that's a matter of individual taste. One of the breakfasts was practically inedible, but the other two were fine. The owner was not there during our stay, so this could change if she was there.

Overall, we would definitely stay here again if we were able to get the summer special rate, and we would recommend it if you're planning to stay in St. Marys.

Room Tip: If there will be other guests, I would recommend asking for a room that doesn't border another o...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 4 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

On our trip to Florida from our home in Pennsylvania, I wanted to find a quaint town to stopover. St. Mary's fit the bill. As we travel with our dog, we are limited where we can go. I found Goodbread Inn listed. What a treat!!! This house is like a dollhouse with the most incredible collection of memorabilia and gorgeous antiques. Our room was the Scarlett and Rhett suite. I cannot even begin to describe the incredible attention to detail and the absolute charm. In the living room, there was chilled wines, water, ice, homemade cake and snacks awaiting us. We were steps away from restaurants and a beautiful waterfront park and the boat to Cumberland island. Breakfast was delicious with blueberry pancakes covered with peach slices and mild sausage and a sliced strawberry. We enjoyed our stay immensely and recommend this gem to all. It was spotlessly clean.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

There arent many choices in St Mary's and we only stayed at one, Goodbread B and B. I cant compare it to the other hotel/b and b's in St. Mary's, however, I would definitely not return to Goodbread. On a positive note, the staff are extremely helpful and considerate. No complaints there. However, I must agree with another reviewer. Our room had a bad odor, probably from pets having been in the room. We stayed in a room on the first floor. ZERO privacy. you could hear every word being said outside the room (hallway, kitchen , living room etc) and in the adjoining room. In fact, the bathroom had 2 doors, both locked. One door adjoined another room, which was occupied by another couple and the other locked door seperated our bathroom from the hallway.These were just wooden doors, with spaces especially at the bottom. Definitely not sound proof. (Nothing like having an "audience" when you have to use a toilet.).
Bed sheets were dark colored so I cant determine cleanliness,however they were worn.

While the B and B does have Wi-Fi, it is a VERY WEAK signal. I had to go into the living room to get a signal.

All in all, the negatives far outweigh the friendliness of the staff. Never again, at least by my reasonable, not high end, standards.

Room Tip: I viewed several rooms on the first floor. None appealing. Try the second floor if you have no other...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
2 Thank Goway
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

Clean, great food, wonderful host. Overall a great stay. Not much I would change.

I think teapartygirl is way off-base with her assessment.

I'm very particular about cleanliness, noise, etc. and would definitely recommend Goodbread House.

Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank JBlue80
georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

I recently stayed at this beautiful bed and breakfast while visiting the quaint city of St. Marys, Georgia for a wedding. The rooms are all tastefully decorated in themes of famous couples. I had the Lucy and Ricky room. Although, I could go on and on about how great the rooms and common areas of the Inn are, I will tell you about the breakfast. Mardja; the proprietor and hostess is full of southern charm. The breakfast started with a gorgeous and delicious yougurt, fruit and granola parfait, followed by a creamy and delightful sausage, cheese and grits dish served in a ramekin and a homemade cranberry bread, accompained by fresh squeezed orange juice and coffee. I will definetely stay at this bed and breakfast again with the large porch (on both floors) to sit on and watch the spanish moss sway in the oak trees in the yard. Did I mention that there is late afternoon/early evening complimentary wine and pastries? One of the most affordable bed and breakfasts that I have stayed in as well. 5 STARS for this establishment.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Deltona, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

The Goodbread Inn was my first experience with a Bed&Breakfast. I took my 16 year old son and his girlfriend last year and we all had a wonderful experience. Got home and absolutely raved about it to my sister who had also never been to a B&B. We recently took a girls' weekend and she was as equally impressed. Mardja, the owner of this beautiful old home, makes you feel right at home the moment you walk in the door. The parlor is beautifully furnished with antiques. I told my son and his girlfriend last year, "Don't touch, don't sit, just stand here in the middle of the room." But Mardja said, "This is yours while you're here; feel free to come in, relax and enjoy the refreshments and snacks. Our rooms were wonderful; like a picture out of a magazine. There is a front porch downstairs and a balcony upstairs that just make you want to sit and watch life go by. It was like stepping back in time to a simpler, friendlier time. Mardja is more than accommodating; she really makes your stay most enjoyable and makes you feel special and I happen to enjoy feeling like someone thinks I'm special. The food was great, the rooms were great, the ambiance was great, the service was great; the people were great. I wish she'd just ask me to move in...

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Roswell, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2012

My son and I stayed at the Goodbread House for a week and everything was exceptional. When we arrived they had chilled wine and wonderful homemade cake waiting for us. There was always some type of homemade cake, cookies, or bread in the sitting room. We also had a wonderful breakfast of homemade breakfast burritos, and fresh baked pumpkin and nut bread with another choice of bread available. The rooms were very clean and comfortable the mattress in my room was so comfortable that I had to buy a new mattress when I got home in order to get a proper night's sleep. Tammy the innkeeper was wonderful and was constantly cleaning and available to assist us with our needs. Mardja, the owner, was wonderful and was very informative on the local activities that we shouldn't miss, she is also a wonderful cook and shared her homemade vegetable soup with us. The prices can't be beat so much more than a hotel/motel for the same price. Mardja even did our laundry for us!

I stayed at the Goodbread House at the same time as teapartygirl and her complaints are ridiculous. There were some small dogs in the house but if she had a problem with dogs she should have stayed somewhere else. I left trash outside of my room one day because it was trash pick up day and the can was at the curb. Her and her husband were very rude peeking into my son's room, he had to close his blinds in order to keep them from peeking in. They were also up very early making a lot of noise on the veranda, which was located right outside of my son's and my rooms, waking us up. The only dirty coffee cups were the ones they used and left. I think they must be confused about the concept of bead and breakfast.

We will be going back and taking my husband with us next time, I can't wait!

Room Tip: All of the rooms that I saw were beautifully decorated and extremely comfortable. I stayed in the G...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
The Seaside Amelia Inn
#2 of 11 in Fernandina Beach
4.5 of 5 stars 480 reviews
Hampton Inn & Suites Amelia Island-Historic Harbor Front
Hampton Inn & Suites Amelia Isla...
#3 of 11 in Fernandina Beach
4.5 of 5 stars 1,215 reviews
Residence Inn Amelia Island
Residence Inn Amelia Island
#1 of 11 in Fernandina Beach
4.5 of 5 stars 1,267 reviews
Hampton Inn Amelia Island at Fernandina Beach
Hampton Inn Amelia Island at Fer...
#8 of 11 in Fernandina Beach
4.0 of 5 stars 736 reviews

Been to Goodbread Inn Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!