“I agree - Dont even think about it”

Goodbread Inn Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 3 St. Marys B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 17, 2012

There arent many choices in St Mary's and we only stayed at one, Goodbread B and B. I cant compare it to the other hotel/b and b's in St. Mary's, however, I would definitely not return to Goodbread. On a positive note, the staff are extremely helpful and considerate. No complaints there. However, I must agree with another reviewer. Our room had a bad odor, probably from pets having been in the room. We stayed in a room on the first floor. ZERO privacy. you could hear every word being said outside the room (hallway, kitchen , living room etc) and in the adjoining room. In fact, the bathroom had 2 doors, both locked. One door adjoined another room, which was occupied by another couple and the other locked door seperated our bathroom from the hallway.These were just wooden doors, with spaces especially at the bottom. Definitely not sound proof. (Nothing like having an "audience" when you have to use a toilet.).
Bed sheets were dark colored so I cant determine cleanliness,however they were worn.

While the B and B does have Wi-Fi, it is a VERY WEAK signal. I had to go into the living room to get a signal.

All in all, the negatives far outweigh the friendliness of the staff. Never again, at least by my reasonable, not high end, standards.

Room Tip: I viewed several rooms on the first floor. None appealing. Try the second floor if you have no other...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Goway

Reviewed April 8, 2012

Clean, great food, wonderful host. Overall a great stay. Not much I would change.

I think teapartygirl is way off-base with her assessment.

I'm very particular about cleanliness, noise, etc. and would definitely recommend Goodbread House.

Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank JBlue80
Reviewed March 28, 2012

I recently stayed at this beautiful bed and breakfast while visiting the quaint city of St. Marys, Georgia for a wedding. The rooms are all tastefully decorated in themes of famous couples. I had the Lucy and Ricky room. Although, I could go on and on about how great the rooms and common areas of the Inn are, I will tell you about the breakfast. Mardja; the proprietor and hostess is full of southern charm. The breakfast started with a gorgeous and delicious yougurt, fruit and granola parfait, followed by a creamy and delightful sausage, cheese and grits dish served in a ramekin and a homemade cranberry bread, accompained by fresh squeezed orange juice and coffee. I will definetely stay at this bed and breakfast again with the large porch (on both floors) to sit on and watch the spanish moss sway in the oak trees in the yard. Did I mention that there is late afternoon/early evening complimentary wine and pastries? One of the most affordable bed and breakfasts that I have stayed in as well. 5 STARS for this establishment.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 27, 2012

The Goodbread Inn was my first experience with a Bed&Breakfast. I took my 16 year old son and his girlfriend last year and we all had a wonderful experience. Got home and absolutely raved about it to my sister who had also never been to a B&B. We recently took a girls' weekend and she was as equally impressed. Mardja, the owner of this beautiful old home, makes you feel right at home the moment you walk in the door. The parlor is beautifully furnished with antiques. I told my son and his girlfriend last year, "Don't touch, don't sit, just stand here in the middle of the room." But Mardja said, "This is yours while you're here; feel free to come in, relax and enjoy the refreshments and snacks. Our rooms were wonderful; like a picture out of a magazine. There is a front porch downstairs and a balcony upstairs that just make you want to sit and watch life go by. It was like stepping back in time to a simpler, friendlier time. Mardja is more than accommodating; she really makes your stay most enjoyable and makes you feel special and I happen to enjoy feeling like someone thinks I'm special. The food was great, the rooms were great, the ambiance was great, the service was great; the people were great. I wish she'd just ask me to move in...

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 27, 2012

My son and I stayed at the Goodbread House for a week and everything was exceptional. When we arrived they had chilled wine and wonderful homemade cake waiting for us. There was always some type of homemade cake, cookies, or bread in the sitting room. We also had a wonderful breakfast of homemade breakfast burritos, and fresh baked pumpkin and nut bread with another choice of bread available. The rooms were very clean and comfortable the mattress in my room was so comfortable that I had to buy a new mattress when I got home in order to get a proper night's sleep. Tammy the innkeeper was wonderful and was constantly cleaning and available to assist us with our needs. Mardja, the owner, was wonderful and was very informative on the local activities that we shouldn't miss, she is also a wonderful cook and shared her homemade vegetable soup with us. The prices can't be beat so much more than a hotel/motel for the same price. Mardja even did our laundry for us!

I stayed at the Goodbread House at the same time as teapartygirl and her complaints are ridiculous. There were some small dogs in the house but if she had a problem with dogs she should have stayed somewhere else. I left trash outside of my room one day because it was trash pick up day and the can was at the curb. Her and her husband were very rude peeking into my son's room, he had to close his blinds in order to keep them from peeking in. They were also up very early making a lot of noise on the veranda, which was located right outside of my son's and my rooms, waking us up. The only dirty coffee cups were the ones they used and left. I think they must be confused about the concept of bead and breakfast.

We will be going back and taking my husband with us next time, I can't wait!

Room Tip: All of the rooms that I saw were beautifully decorated and extremely comfortable. I stayed in the G...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed March 27, 2012

My husband and I experienced a bed and breakfast for the first time while vacationing in St. Mary's Georgia with friends. From the the very first phone call to make the reservation and through out the trip we encounter a most pleasant experience. Our hostess(Owner) was so very warm and welcoming. It was like coming home!! The food was so delicous and the service was impecible, in fact it was so good my husband thought it would continue when we got home! We can't wait to return! Whether it's your first time or you've been there before, try Goodbread House you'll never want to go home!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 26, 2012

I recently stayed two weeks at the Goodbread Inn. I arrived very tired and worried about disrupting my little dogs routine after huge move from our home. Both my dog and I just melted into the relaxing and soothing energy of the first floor's front porch & the Rhett and Scarlet Room. I felt transported back to a time of relaxed graceful living which was just what I needed. When I was unpacking car the proprietor insisted on bringing ice-bucket and pitcher of cold water to my room. Bless her, I was so exhausted I had forgotten to hydrate. Mardja, is class act and genuine southern lady. She and the Inn itself somehow merge together in synergistic environment of southern hospitality that can't be duplicated elsewhere as the Inn's atmosphere is unique. I suppose some people look for "good energy" and some look for smudged wine glasses. Apparently, it is not everyone's cup of tea as I read teapartygirl's review. She must have been there there during period of my stay and I have to wonder if we were staying at same place. I found her review sad. What a shame that they were so absorbed with inventory of problems that they missed the wonderful aspects of the Inn or the opportunity to meet and spend time with some of the other friendly, interesting guests. During entire two wks, I never saw dirty wine glasses, coffee cups, trash left anywhere. In fact, the tray for dirty dishes was emptied so promptly each morning that I often waited too late to get my dishes or wine glass ( from prior evening) to tray. Therefore, instead of leaving them, I washed my own in kitchen since I had kitchen privileges due to wkly stay. The kitchen was cleaned at least once daily and typically twice by my observations with careful attention to clean dishes. My room was lovely, with clean linens and attractive hand-towel/washcloth/soap/shampoo arrangements. I have a sleep disorder and therefore very particular about mattress and pillows. I found my bed extremely comfortable and slept better than usual. The house furnishings and decor were primarily old as many furnishings are antiques and some of the fabrics show signs of frequent washing, more than wear, but the look is authentic and fits decor. Each room is decorated period appropriate to varying themes and the guest comments I heard reflected enchantment with decor of Inn. While I never ate breakfast at the Inn, every single comment of other guests gave rave reviews of the food . For the rates available, I felt the Inn's accommodations and atmosphere exceeded expectations. For higher price, I'm sure one could find newer decor, but for me the ambiance, charm and relaxed comfort of yesteryear would be lost. As far as the innkeeper, Mardja's grace and southern hospitality is unsurpassed at any price. She attended to each guest's individual needs without question. Her approach was always solution focused to the guest's satisfaction. I found her extremely flexible and always willing to go beyond reasonable to ensure the pleasure and welcome of guests. Indeed, there were three dogs with owners at Inn as per Teapartygirl's complaint. One was my Shih Tzu and two miniature greyhounds of another couple. I had my dog bathed and groomed on day of arrival and the greyhounds were squeaky clean. All three were small breeds know for little to no shedding. I shed more hair than my dog. The other owners and myself did allow our dogs on outdoor furniture on front porch as fabrics were somewhat exposed to weather and appeared washable. I feel badly that Teapartygirl blamed the Inn for this. If she had spoken with staff and they had advised against dogs on porch furniture, I would have politely obliged as the Inn evokes an attitude of consideration for all and I understand that people have differing offences. However, the only "yuck" I saw on porch furniture were some residual cookie crumbs, on one occasion, most likely from some great (homemade) chocolate chip cookies in the parlor. I brushed them off....problem solved. I don't think I would have enjoyed stay at any of the other B & B's available in St. Mary's and would encourage anyone to consider staying at the Goodbread, but check out info available on internet to see if it fits your taste and personal preferences as appropriate info is disclosed.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
Mariners Suites
Mariners Suites
#14 of 21 in Kingsland
Hampton Inn & Suites Amelia Island-Historic Harbor Front
Hampton Inn & Suites Amelia Isla...
#3 of 12 in Fernandina Beach

Been to Goodbread Inn Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!