“The best place to stay in St. Mary's”

Spencer House Inn Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 3 St. Marys B&B and Inns
Athens, Georgia
“The best place to stay in St. Mary's”
Reviewed September 24, 2010

We spent the night at Spencer House after spending the day on Cumberland Island. It is just the most charming, clean, and comfortable place! The owner, Mary, is so friendly and helpful. She made us lunches to take to Cumberland and packed them in an insulated cooler. (No food available on the island so you have to take your own.) That evening after stuffing ourselves on the best and largest fried shrimp I've ever eaten (at Langs Marina Restaurant caught that day by the owner's fleet of shrimpboats), we enjoyed rocking on the upstairs veranda overlooking main street. It was a most enjoyable day. We slept like logs on a very comfortable bed, and enjoyed a wonderful hot breakfast the next morning. I would return in a minute to St. Mary's and Cumberland, and if I did I would stay at Spencer House again. We usually stay in mid price range motels when we travel and this cost a little more than what we're used to paying ,but you definitely get what you pay for here.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Austin, Texas
Reviewed August 1, 2010

Let me start with one word, and it is Mary. She is the innkeeper, and my wife and I loved meeting and conversing with her. The inn is wonderful, with beautiful, historic touches. Very importantly, it has ample porches with rockers and swings. The lemon coffee cake was ridiculous...ly good. Of course, the town was pretty and reminded us of our place at the North Carolina Coast. We had a romantic time.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed June 7, 2010

My husband and I absolutely love staying at B&B's. We think it is so much more intimate than staying at a commercialized hotel. The Spencer House Inn was extremely accomodating in every way. From packing a picninc lunch for us (which had way more than enough food in it for the whole day), to having a supply of buying beer or wine on the premises if you should want it ( and extremely reasonably priced). The roooms were very comfortable and clean. Breakfast was delicious, paired with interesting comnversations with all the other patrons staying in the Inn about their adventures from the previous day. My husband and I walked around the waterfront of St. Marys and checked out the other B&B's from the outside and I would HIGHLY recommend staying at the Spencer House Inn compared to the others. Mike & Mary were extremely hospitable in every way.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank megmcg
Delmar, NY
Reviewed July 15, 2009

My husband and I loved our stay at Spencer House. The breakfasts were wonderful and we even got to sample home-made ice cream at afternoon tea. The innkeeper, Mary, was very helpful and knew lots about area attractions. The inn is located just a short walk from a lovely waterfront park from which you can get the ferry over to Cumberland Island National Seashore. St. Mary's itself is a cute little town and the people are friendly and welcoming. The room we stayed in was not big, but it was very clean and nicely decorated.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Marietta, GA
Reviewed June 2, 2009

This was the first time my husband and I have stayed in a bed and breakfast-always had children with us-it was a wonderful experience! The Inn is beautiful and the food was delicious. We were able to select the room we wanted online so there were no surprises.
The picnic lunch for our Cumberland Island day trip was generous and tasty. Mary is a lovely, delightful hostess and Mike is quite the chef! We will stay there again!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Clinton Twp, MI
Reviewed June 1, 2009

Mary and Mike are such warm, welcoming, charming owners. Mary is a wealth of local information for everything from the nearest 24 hour drug store to the best place for seafood to a great route for a 4 mile run! Mike is a great cook and the breakfasts were always fresh and great! We even bought some of his homemade granola to bring home.
The Inn itself is very comfortable, clean and welcoming. The rooms are spacious and very nicely furnished with antiques.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Savannah, Georgia
Reviewed March 22, 2009

Recently stayed here for two nights with my husband for our 10 year wedding anniversary. This was our first time staying at a B&B. At little apprehensive at first, not sure what to expect. Mary was very friendly and outgoing. Entire staff was helpful. We spent one day at Cumberland Island and took lunches that had been packed for us at the Inn. Plenty of food, especially for the money. $8 per person. Included sandwiches, chips, fruit, trail mix bar, peanut butter crackers, cookies, and a drink.
My only two complaints was that the window was painted shut. Since we were not able to control temp in the room, it would have been nice to open the window. My husband can be hot natured at times.
The other complaint was that breakfast was served 7:30-9. We are not early risers on the weekends. Both mornings we slept until 8:45 and I didn't think it would be appropriate to go down in my pjs. But I should say that we were by far the youngest guests and I'm sure the other guests had no problem with the early breakfast hour!!
Overall we had a great time and would go back.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Riverview Hotel
Riverview Hotel
#2 of 4 in St. Marys
Hampton Inn & Suites Amelia Island-Historic Harbor Front
Hampton Inn & Suites Amelia Isla...
#3 of 12 in Fernandina Beach
Villas of Amelia Island Plantation
The Seaside Amelia Inn
The Seaside Amelia Inn
#5 of 12 in Fernandina Beach

Been to Spencer House Inn Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!