“Touching history”

Cowpens National Battlefield
Ranked #1 of 3 things to do in Chesnee
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Learned about this battlefield long ago. Found myself traveling through the area and took the time to stop. Watched a short audio presentation with a lighted map. Dd not view the video. Instead went on a walking tour of the battle ground with a park ranger. While a bit eccentric, the tour was fascinating. Truly brought this piece of history to life. Drove around the battlefield as I departed. If you are into history - is well worth the visit.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

We did the 3.8 mile drive around the battlefield, watched the 12-minute demonstration of the battle and walked some of the trail. We missed the longer movie, which only starts on the hour and the ranger recommended we go into a separate room where there's a map demonstration of the battle and events leading up to. It was a great alternative and we got the same information we would have gotten if we watched the movie. We just came from Kings Mountain National Military Park. These two parks are great complements to each other. Bathroom facilities were very clean.

Reviewed February 13, 2013

I will admit that I stumbled on Cowpens as I was driving to dinner at Carolina Cafe, which is only a few miles away. I stopped into the visitors center, only to find out that things were closing up in 30 minutes. I was able to see the movie reenactment of the battle, which was nicely done.

Perhaps my favorite aspect of the park was the walking tour. There is an after hours parking area that allows you to walk back into the park and tour the battlesite. There are informative signs at key areas, so you really get a feel for what occured in January 1781. The area is well preserved, and really rather beautiful forest and fields. I enjoyed seeing wild turkeys and many squirrels.

Well done!

1  Thank Seedboy
Reviewed December 20, 2012

After passing by many times, My son and I finally took the time to stop and visit this place. Walking the battlefield was a reminder of the frightening experience of face to face battles. You could almost sense the atmosphere of that day. The facilites were nice and we were so glad we visited.

Reviewed November 20, 2012

The diorama and the artifacts serve to bring the history of this place alive. Great place to take young people to give them a feel of one of the events which was key to freeing our nation from a tyrannical English King.