Battiste's Bed, Breakfast & Birds
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in Hereford
See available hotels
Rail Oaks Ranch(Hereford)
  • Fitness center
Quality Inn(Sierra Vista)
View Hotel
All reviewself owlse arizonaspecies of birdswatch the birdswonderful hostscomfortable place to stayb bbirderscasitaaccommodationcereal
FilterAll languages
Reviewed December 2, 2012

As I come to the end of my stay with Tony and Julie (Battiste's B & B) I reflect how fortunate I was to find this gem of a place. Tony has been more than accommodating with his extensive bird knowledge and general advise about the area - he, at no cost to me, took me to a friends place this morning to help me see a species of hummingbird that was still around at this time of year. Tony's own back yard is a alive with birds and even though December there were more enough 'firsts' to keep me busy with camera at hand - Scott's Oriel (Adult male) and Ann's Hummingbird were the highlights. Julie's banana bread is the best I have had for some time and I thank them for inviting me to dinner last night - I was not expecting that. I felt right at home and after a week staying in budget motels around New Mexico I found the accommodation, setting and the chance to just sit and photograph birds in Tony and Julie's back yard very satisfying. So if you are a birder and/or a photographer of birds this is the place to stay in the Sierra Vista area of southern Arizona. I hope to return in the future. I stayed in the Owls Roost and it is 15 steps into the Garden.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Tom R
Reviewed August 19, 2012

If you're going to the Sierra Vista area in southeast Arizona, I can think of no better place to stay than at Tony and Julie Battiste's Bed and Breakfast. Not only is it centrally located to wonderful birding sites in the area, it is clean, comfortable, with an array of breakfast foods, and internet access, as well as great bird feeders in the back and side yards. Tony went out of his way to explain local birding sites, making phone calls to determine accessibility, giving us 100% accurate advice on where to find rare birds, and was a wonderful host. It felt like visiting a good friend, not just a great Bed and Breakfast.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank SanFranciscoDavid
Reviewed April 4, 2010

We spent four nights here and greatly enjoyed the (non-intrusive) friendly, educational and accommodating company of our hosts, Tony and Julie, as well as several other guests. No sense in repeating what has been already said in other reviews, but as with others, recommend this B&B highly. Our hosts ID'd the birds by sound and sight, and called us out to view the Elf Owl, one of several "life birds" on this, our second trip to this area of AZ. This is a good central location for exploring a large portion of the area.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Voyaging
Reviewed April 1, 2010

My husband and I spent 5 very enjoyable nights at the Battiste's. I can't say enough about how we enjoyed our stay. Tony and Julie are outstanding hosts. The rooms (we were in both The Casita and The Owl's Roost) are very clean and well stocked with food, supplies, and local information. Julie's homemade baked goods are outstanding. Best of all are Tony and Julie, they are extremely welcoming and an excellent source of local information. Their yard is a bird haven, I recorded several life birds sitting on the patio. Tony enjoys sitting with his guests and showing off the numerous species that appear, many days the yard count was around 40 species. There are nesting elf owls and acorn woodpeckers. There is a bird blind in front of numerous natural feeding stations, making for great photography. Tony's local bird knowledge and advice was invaluable, he has a passion for birds that becomes evident as you sit with him and watch the yard activity. We hired him to guide us for one very special day.
If you are considering a birding trip to Southeastern Arizona, I highly recommend this special little B&B.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 29, 2009

Barely in the foothills south of Sierra Vista, this bird and fauna-knowledgeable couple, Tony & Julie Battiste, have created a yardscape bird haven and lovely retreat for visitors. Every amenity is provided for a very comfortable stay including local maps, menus, birding books, helpful (and beautiful) albums of animals, birds and insects/critters spotted in the area. My husband and I are not birders, but travelled with our brother & sister-in-law who are experienced birders. Tony & Julie are friendly, welcoming and know the area and will create maps to special bird sighting locations or you can sit with a nice coffee, tea or hot chocolate on your own patio and enjoy the many birds that come to their yard - or bring your laptop and check your email. If you're just getting started birding, you can book Tony and/or Julie to take you out in the area. It really helps to be with someone who knows how to spot things. The spring weather was a great break from the Chicago late winter and a great time to see birds migrating through. We got to see an elf owl that nests on the Battiste property in addition to hummingbirds, quail, oriole and more right from the patio!
We thoroughly enjoyed this welcoming oasis in the valley of the Huachuca Mountains by the Coronado National Forest and Miller Peak wilderness area. We loved the sunrises & sunsets, good advice on local restaurants and wide variety of choices for our own breakfast, including goodies baked by Julie. The four of us stayed in the Owl's Roost, a two bedroom, two bath suite with nice sitting area, patio & kitchenette. The beds were VERY comfortable and everything super clean. The Hummingbird suite also has its own outdoor patio, generous living area and one bedroom and bath. When we arrived at Battiste's we had been on the road for over a week and were able to do laundry there as well!
All four of us look forward to our next visit to Battiste's wonderful and relaxing B&B.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family