“our heritage and biscuits and gravy”

Duke of York Restaurant
Ranked #7 of 92 Restaurants in Yorktown
Cuisines: American, Seafood
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Local cuisine, Scenic view
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Located inside the Duke of York Hotel on Yorktown Beach, we are Yorktown's longest running restaurant, serving our guests since 1976. Serving breakfast, lunch and dinner.
“our heritage and biscuits and gravy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

in the midst of the birth of America's freedom, the Island Cafe is truly a local tradition... overlooking the York River, our family's favorite is biscuits and gravy on Sunday morning after church... the staff is excellent, the food is southern, and the walk along the beach or up the hill to the historic district is relaxing after enjoying your meal... we make sure all of our guests experience Yorktown...

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank Yorktown1776

Williamsburg, Virginia
“Great crabcakes”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2013

I have been coming here for years for the crabcakes and have sent numerous other people to try them. Everyone has agreed that the crabcakes are the best - solid crabmeat with no filler (important for people who cannot have gluten). There has been a change, however, in the French fries. In the past, they were cut in uniform sized pieces and were golden on the outside and cooked to perfection. Lately, they have been randomly sized, brown to burned on the outside and soggy inside - they seem like frozen fries. Please, please go back to the old way of preparing them; then my whole meal can again be perfect.

• Visited September 2013
Virginia
“Enjoyable Food and Excellent Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2013

My Husband and I have always enjoyed the fresh Seafood at Duke of York. Great service . Their desserts are homemade. Excellent views of the York River.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Tanzer
Yorktown, Virginia
“"Turkey and Swiss on a Home Made Roll...Yum!"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

...and my husband had a hamburger on a "Home Made Sesame Seed Bun"...double Yum! OK...maybe these aren't your typical breakfast foods but we had both for breakfast this week at the "Island Café" and they were delicious! You can't beat the Island Cafes' hand-patted grilled burgers--high quality meat cooked to perfection--the freshest home made bun topped it off perfectly. The Turkey and Swiss was exceptional. Great atmosphere, friendly staff, nice prices...we'd eat here every morning!

• Visited September 2013
Williamsburg, Virginia
“Dear Lord deliver us from mediocrity”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

Beautiful seafood that was over cooked and smothered in greasy butter. Sad salad with mostly iceberg lettuce with bland dressing. Service was fine, but food was not. Great way to burn up a bunch of money. I will never go here again. Don't waste your time or money here. Either slum it at the Yorktown Pub or get overcharged at River's Bend Over, but F this place. WAY over-priced!

I am super irritated that I spent precious moments of my life at this crappy joint. Too bad the last hurricane didn't demolish it.

• Visited August 2013
OwnerDuke, Owner at Duke of York Restaurant, responded to this review, September 6, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I apologize that we did not make your dining experience a good one. I think you can see from our long list of good reviews that this is not the norm. We are however, not perfect and obviously were not when you visited. We are doing everything we can to make sure our failures are as rare as we can make them. I do wish that you had brought these issues to my (or my managers) attention while you were here. We do everything we can to make our guests happy and I never charge anyone for a meal they did not enjoy. I would hope that you might give us (and for that matter The Pub and Riverwalk Landing, who seem to have displeased you also) another chance. I am here all day every day to take care of our guests. Again, thank you for helping keep us on our toes. Cole Crockett