“Memories of the old Nick's Seafood Pavilion can be found here”

Duke of York Restaurant
Ranked #9 of 94 Restaurants in Yorktown
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Located inside the Duke of York Hotel on Yorktown Beach, we are Yorktown's longest running restaurant, serving our guests since 1976. Serving breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Reviewed May 25, 2012

We took my parents to this restaurant mainly to revive old memories of Nick's Seafood Pavilion, which closed after the death of the owners and was demolished after it received a lot of damage from hurricane Irene. Nick's was an institution for many years and had some specialty dishes on their menu that were loved by many of it's patrons. It turns out that Nick's chef, Jimmy. who is now in his 70s, is still making many of those dishes at the restaurant connected with the Duke of York Motel. I believe that the actual name of the restaurant is the Riverview Restaurant. One of the most famous dishes there is the Lobster Dien Bien. This is something like a lobster paella, but the seasonings are all different. Rice, mushrooms, green onions, tomato, and huge pieces of fresh Maine lobster cooked with browned butter. It is an amazing dish. All of the fish is fresh and cut by Jimmy, himself. Shellfish is also treated wonderfully. The restaurant is very plain, an ironic twist for anyone who ever had the opportunity to visit the Pavilion where Jimmy cooked for Nick. There is a lot of history in the area. Washington beat Cornwallis to win the Revolutionary War in Yorktown, and it is all there for you to visit. History repeats itself again too with the Riverview Restaurant of the Duke of York Motel, at least for a now, while Chef Jimmy produces the masterpieces of a vanished seafood icon, Nick's Seafood Pavilion. Go soon to relive or to sample a meal from the past.

9  Thank Limulus

Reviewed March 22, 2012

Generous chunks of lobster tail were overcooked, therefore dry and rather tough. Same for the shrimp. The scallops, on the other hand were borderline undercooked. The vegetables were cooked as they should have been. In all, quite disappointing , especially for such an expensive entree.

2  Thank Buck F
Reviewed December 15, 2011

We eat at the restaurant at the Duke of York often. It is consistently good and the wait staff is low key, helpful and very friendly. Asking for variations on the menu never seems to present a problem. Family and friends who accompany us all look forward to the opportunity to dine there. Make sure you have a reservation for dinner as it is so popular. Jimmy, formally with the famous Nick's Seafood Pavilion, does a fantastic job and offers many of the same dinners offered at Nick's before it closed. Delightful!

2  Thank Michael P
Reviewed November 13, 2011

My wife and I ate at the Duke of York Restaurant on Friday, 11/11/11. I had the Red snapper and crab special, my wife had the fried shrimp dinner. I chose the rice pilaf for my side and my wife got the Greek green beans. Both of our sides were very, very good. The fried shrimp were lightly battered and vary large, the snapper was a large fillet that was covered in crab meat. The snapper was OK, but the crab meat was great. My wife said her shrimp were good, but not great. I tried them and they were a little dry for shrimp. Service was good – however, our waitress was the loudest waitress I’ve ever had. She was practically shouting at us. Overall – it was OK, undecided if we’d go back.

2  Thank 1967foodie
Reviewed November 11, 2011

Decent omelet. Great breakfast potatoes. Slow service, but pleasant wait staff.

2  Thank deeds13