“do not book through priceline”

Yorktown Motor Lodge
Ranked #8 of 8 Hotels in Yorktown
Wine Country
“do not book through priceline”
Reviewed June 28, 2008

Warning if you book through a non-direct site for less $$ than rack rate, the mgnt. will not give you what you ask for, ie. non-smoking room, hard nose mgnt. style. we called and asked for a non-smoking room and when we arrived 6-28-2008 the room was full of smoke oder, so we asked to be changed and was told since we booked through PL, that they give out the worst rooms, even though we called and were told we could have a non-smoking room. we did not stay there.

• Liked — did not stay, but ended up paying anyway
  • Disliked — did not stay, but ended up paying anyway
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Miami, FL
Reviewed June 27, 2007

Based on other reviews from Trip Advisor, I stayed here (room number 25) for three nights in June 2007. I chose this location because it is conveniently located to where my family lives. I also got a very good price (Priceline, $60 per night, as opposed to well over $125.00 everywhere else). It is an old-fashioned "mom & pop" motel, obviously constructed in the 1950's or 1960's. The property was renovated sometime in the past few years. The buildings still look good on the outside and the grounds are landscaped very nicely. The young man at the front desk was also very nice (but overworked...in addition to checking in guests I also saw him making up rooms and even trimming the hedges!). The real problem was the room itself. It was small and smelled very bad (musty/dirty smell). There were big "lumpy" stains on the carpet (the lumps implied to me that they hadn't been cleaned). I was nervous to walk in there with my bare feet. The shower curtain was covered with mildew. Two lamps were broken. One outlet was overloaded with a "power strip" and was obviously a fire hazard. My feeling is if the management would just invest a little in upgrading the rooms themselves, they would have a gem of a property. As it is now, I wouldn't return. I'd rather spend a little more and feel as if the room I was in was safe (and CLEAN).

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Poor, dirty condition of the room
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
Charlottesville
Reviewed July 3, 2006

The Yorktown Motor Lodge is an example of a classic American motel. I very much enjoy visiting private motor lodges, but they are a risk because they vary so greatly in cleanliness, upkeep and service. This motel is a shining example of what the mom and pop motel can be.

The room we stayed in was newly remodeled. We stayed in room 38 with a very comfortable king sized bed. Nice big new TV, AC that could freeze you out, coffee maker, fridge. Bathroom was clean. Room was comfortably large.

WiFi is available in the lobby, as is a continental breakfast that I did not see.

I spoke to the hotel worker and told him how impressed i was with the property. He told me that the man who owns it puts all the money back into the hotel. The landscape was pretty and maincured with lots of begonias. Our room was on the road, but we did not hear road noise.

Historically, I especially enjoyed the neon motel sign at the entrance, whch he hotel worker told me he thought was original to the hotel. Very classic and americana. The inn was built around 1945. We paid only $59 for our room, which was an incredible value.

• Stayed June 2006
5 Thank josmit
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed June 22, 2004

Lovely place! All new interiors - remodeling still going on in the office. Quiet!

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yorktown
Red Roof Inn Yorktown
Red Roof Inn Yorktown
#6 of 8 in Yorktown
Mulberry Inn and Plaza at Fort Eustis
Courtyard Newport News Yorktown
Staybridge Suites Newport News-Yorktown
Comfort Inn Newport News/Williamsburg East
Hampton Inn & Suites Newport News (Oyster Point)

Been to Yorktown Motor Lodge? Share your experiences!