“Candlewood Suites- Yorktown”

Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Yorktown
Moss Point, Mississippi
“Candlewood Suites- Yorktown”
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Hotel & location is really great. We had 5 rooms there while working at the shipyard for 3 months. Our rooms had kitchenette, which makes it nice if you would like to cook and they also they had a reception on Wed evening's that was nice. They had grills outside and being able to barbeque was great.. Also it is centrally located where you can find everything you need close by.The hotel's manager Melissa Perry who makes sure your stay there as comfortable and enjoyable as possible, makes sure that the customers are taken care. She has a great staff, they always made us feel like family. Lyndia housekeeping manager and Chris auditor but Frank the evening guy, very knowledgeable about the area and places to go and have fun. Melissa and her staff and at Candlewood suites Yorktown two thumbs up!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Dennis R
GM_PHFCW, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Newport News, responded to this review, August 17, 2012
Dear Dennis R, On behalf of my staff, a great big THANK YOU for your kind words. Our guests are such wonderful people and it makes our jobs so easy! Our guests are the greatest ever! We miss you, come back soon!

Kindest Regards,
Melissa Perry

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Reviewed July 3, 2012 via mobile

My room smelled bad. I complained about the moldy/rotten smell and the desk attendant gave me a can of air freshener.

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank Leslies317537
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Newport News, responded to this review, August 3, 2012
Dear Leslies317537,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns. Please allow me to apologize for the inconvenience and negative impression you may have had because of the smell of the room. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

To better assist you on your next stay, please do not hesitate to approach the manager on duty.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Atlanta
Reviewed June 3, 2012

I stayed here for 13 nights> Not 1 complaint.
This is a suite hotel which means you get more amenities for less$, but you do not get daily room service, you get room service once a week (if you want clean sheets, towels etc they will gladly give to you at the front desk). The rooms are spacious double bed, reclining chair, full size fridge, stove top with 2 burners, dish washer, microwave and plates and pans so you can fix you breakfast or dinner. A large size desk with a decent chair which makes working in the room convenient. free WiFi . They offer a grill with all the utensils to BBQ, out back overlooking a pond, you just bring the food and enjoy.
There is a laundry room with FREE use of washers and dryers. Well equipped exercise room. & a Pool.
Mini-store was well stocked, and included an array of snacks and toiletries. Also has a business room with 2 computers not just 1 like most places. Comfortable beds. Close to 1-64 and numerous restaurants and stores including P. Henry Mall
The staff is very friendly & helpful most especially the night manager Frank he is professional, very helpful, knowledgeable about the area and how to get around and very friendly (only if more hotel staff were like him it would make traveling more pleasant for those of us that do it weekly. Way to go Frank!!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank traveling_frank
Dear Traveling_Frank, Thank you so much for your wonderful words concerning our hotel. I am so happy that my staff and especially Frank helped to have a memorable experience. We do look forward to seeing you again in the future!!

Kindest Regards,
Melissa Perry
Fairfield, California
Reviewed June 2, 2012

We stayed here toward the end of a two-week road trip spent in various hotels and B&B's throughout the Southeast. Here is why I rated this hotel "excellent:"
Hotel staff were professional, friendly, very helpful, and patient (my brain was a bit fogy after 10 hours behind the wheel).
Luggage carts readily available.
Was conveniently located.
This facility is designed for longer stays if need be; kitchen with stove and refrigerator in the room, but didn't crowd the space.
Rooms were very clean.
Air conditioning worked well and wasn't leaky or loud.
Laundry room with FREE use of washers and dryers (we paid only for soap).
Mini-store was well stocked, and included an array of snacks and toiletries. I especially appreciated that I could charge purchases to my room bill without having to go through the front desk.
Comfortable beds.
Well equipped exercise room (but it would be nice if it were separated from the laundry room by a separate entrance).

Overall, this was a very good deal.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Curt T
Scott C, Director of Sales at Candlewood Suites Newport News, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Richmond,VA
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Okay, I was here on a detail for three weeks so I was hoping the accomodations were updated more than they were. Their business office only has two computers, no copier, no fax machine. So I had to spend atleast 2-3 nights going to the local Fedex/Kinkos to fax. My room was initially on the first level but I had to change it 2 days later because upon entering I smelled a disturbing odor of dog and human, but wasn't sure where it was coming from. I was given by the manager some smell good spray but then it seemed to enhance the odors even more...I was so disturbed that I had to repack my 3 weeks of clothing and work and bring it to another floor. I found dog hair in the window, on the curtain and in the vents of the a/c. The housekeeping does basic minimum and only come once a week. The hotel can use some serious updating. The GREAT side to this all was the staff was more than accomodating. Ilisha Moore the morning manager, Frank the evening manager were more than professional. Frank holds Manager BBQ once a week were he takes the time to bring in food for the guest and allows everyone to mingle. The hotel itself is at an great location near a small pond/lake outback for barbecuing and just relaxing in the gazebo which is usually private, BUT on weekends Friday and Saturday be weary of some kind of community center behind Unos were kids hang out and get very loud and not to mention the hotel next door opens their doors to the pool and you hear all sorts of screaming and yelling of kids having fun in the pool...thats fun. Overall its good location because you are right outside of Interstate 64 which apparently you can't even hear. Oh bring your own snacks because there isn't much imagination in the little shop downstairs. The rating is really for the personnel there who were apologetic when things weren't handled correctly and just checking up on me to make sure things worked out. They were pleasant and approachable.

Room Tip: Since this hotel accepts dogs and during my visit I saw many, I would ask for a room that didn't...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank KLS74
CARRBORO
Reviewed May 21, 2012

i recently came to V.A. to take my family to Busch Gardens! it took us 20 minutes to get checked in. A lady that works night audit gave me a price of $69 per night then after i gave her my credit card she then tells me that it $110 per night. The price really didn't matter but she was very unorganized. they do not have "TURN-DOWN SERVICE' and no housekeepers to give us more fresh towels,soap, nor wash cloths. My husband found a long black hair on the bed after he pulled the sheets back. The night audit did not answer the phone threw the night. This was not what i was expecting from this hotel. I asked for the GM name and no one would give it to me. PLEASE DO NOT STAY HERE if you are planning a trip to visit. AND NO FREE BREAKFAST. WE WERE BETTER OFF STAYING AT A MOTEL 6

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank BRITTNEY A
, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Newport News, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
Dear BRITTNEY A,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your comments. We greatly appreciate you taking the time to bring this matter to our attention and apologize for any inconvenience the hotel staff may have caused. We will follow up with the staff to ensure that similar incidents won't happen again. We appreciate your feedback as this is our best resource for improving guest services.

The Candlewood Suites hotels are our extended stay hotels, and are meant to make you feel more at home. Our signature hotel amenities allow you to live, work, and relax in much the same way you would in your own home without feeling like you’re in a hotel. We offer weekly housekeeping as well as fully stocked kitchens in your room. We do not have a restaurant on property, but offer our Candlewood Cupboard where you can pick-up a variety of food, beverages, and even toiletry items whenever you want.

We take all reviews positive and negative very seriously, and your feedback will help us improve for our next guest our your next visit.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Bengaluru, India
Reviewed April 18, 2012

Our late night check-in here was smooth with the smart locker system. A clean bathroom and the works greeted us. The second TV for the sofa-bed, plus the complimentary DVDs were welcomed enthusiastically by the kids.

It does not offer breakfast but has a convenience store selling travel essentials. The staff was friendly and helpful with local information, restaurants etc.

The kids got very comfortable and didn’t want to leave. The pricing is very good compared to its peers located closer to Busch Gardens. I would recommend this place for friendly staff, a comfortable room and clean essentials.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank nyusual
Thank you for your feedback.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yorktown
Staybridge Suites Newport News-Yorktown
Courtyard Newport News Yorktown
TownePlace Suites Newport News Yorktown
Red Roof Inn Yorktown
Red Roof Inn Yorktown
#6 of 8 in Yorktown
Hampton Inn & Suites Newport News (Oyster Point)
Hampton Inn Newport News-Yorktown

Been to Candlewood Suites Newport News? Share your experiences!