“Werners Sailing Tour”

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“Werners Sailing Tour”
Reviewed August 5, 2012

In June,18 members of the Werner Reunion visited Historic Yorktown,VA.
Some went on a tour of Yorktown aboard Segways which was a new experience for all.
Yorktown has a great website with details on everything.
We had made reservations for the 3pm. sail for the 18 of us on the Alliance.
They list 3 sailing times but you should check ahead.
It was a 2 hour sail on the Alliance,a 3 masted sailing vessel,down the York river and back.
The 2 young crew members were very knowledgeable and efficient.
We returned to Historic Powhatan via the Colonial Parkway which is a beautiful drive.

Delray Beach, Florida
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Schooner Alliance Disappointing-not worth the time or money”
Reviewed August 5, 2012

We booked an evening cruse on the James River. The captain cut it short by about an hour. Not sure why the weather seemed okay. The captain is a little weird-he went on and on about not wanting a party boat-belive me you could not party here if you tried. They do sell some snacks and some cans of beer/ wine I believe. It was actually kind of boring. The captain has some young kids who live on the boat and serve as crew also. They told us they live aboard with no air, no TV etc... They seemed odd also. They hung out after we docked for tips-probably the only money they see. They told you a little about the history but if you have been anywhere in the area visiting you already know the most basic stuff they told us. I would not recommend this attraction. The captains wife captains the other boat they own called the Serenity which is also in the area. This was just not a fun, interesting or exciting trip and the crew is just too weird.

2 Thank YosemiteTraveler603
Shawnee, Ohio
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Lots of fun for whole family!”
Reviewed July 24, 2012

This was the highlight of our weeklong vacation for my husband -- a sailing lover in a landlubber area. While we were able to sail away from the dock, that is where our wind ended, but not the fun or the education. Unfortunately, my kids were a little shy and missed their opportunity to help with the sails, but they did have fun tying knots with the crew and we all enjoyed tales of their sailing trips and about their big sailing dreams. Our afternoon sail coincided with the Pirate cruise on the Serenity and, well you know about those scalawags!! Our ship was threatened and that is when the excitement definitely picked up for our kids! Won't give it away for others wanting to surprise their little ones, but it was a blast. ;)

Clemson, South Carolina
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not worth the money”
Reviewed June 29, 2012

We went out on a day that happened to have a storm come up. After 15 minutes of sailing, we had to pull back in to dock. They only offered a credit for another cruise, and we were driving back to South Carolina after the cruise and so that did not work for us. After a phone call to the local number and no help from the woman who answered the phone about a credit for the cruise, I sent an email. The answer to my email was a 50% credit, which I took, but it ended up being $30 for 15 minutes of sailing. Deplorable customer service. Also, there was nowhere to sit on the boat, and they kept telling us to sit. The sails were raised so there was no helping to raise them. We spent $11 on a cup of wine and a beer, average for that area. I do not recommend this to anyone, especially for families.

1 Thank April M
Williamsburg, Virginia
58 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 58 helpful votes
“Unexpected pleasurable experience”
Reviewed June 22, 2012

I had only seen the schooners Alliance and Serenity dockside when visitng Yorktown's Riverwalk. Although there are several cruises available, including a sunset cruise, my friends and I decided to take a morning, two-hour cruise. Even though there was no appreciable wind, the combination of the motor and the sails were still very quiet and peaceful (which is what I needed). The crew, Mark, John and Julianna, were knowledgeable regarding both the area and the schooner, answering questions but were cognizant of the quiet of the moment. They demonstrated knots without being "pushy." I will book sunset cruise with my husband.