“I am just about THROUGH with this raggedy chain!”

TownePlace Suites Newport News Yorktown
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Yorktown
Spring Lake, North Carolina
“I am just about THROUGH with this raggedy chain!”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

This was supposed to be a 30-day stay; i couldn't keep my family in this dump more than ten nights because of the cigarette smoke permeating through the walls. My wife and I complained for THREE NIGHTS RUNNING about the smoke coming through the vents and the most we got was a shrug. I'm sorry; I thought that placard warning guests about a $250 fine for smoking in the rooms meant something. Thanks for proving to me otherwise, and now I can take my family to an establishment that will actually get off their backsides to handle complaints.

I don't care about the condition of the room, the dated furniture (WARNING: this place hasn't been renovated in 11 years), or the weak internet access, or even the joke they call a fitness center (two treadmills and mirrors in a closet). All of that would be bearable if the customer service was better, if the front desk staff showed they cared with actions instead of words. This hotel exemplifies just about every problem I've had with TownePlace Suites, and perhaps it's best that I disassociate myself (and my money) from this chain. I can't deal with the song and dance anymore.

[To be fair, one of the FD staff did offer to move us into another room, but I have a pregnant wife and a toddler; if I'm going to endure the inconvenience of moving to another room, why not just move my family to another hotel, especially if I feel they had all the opportunity in the world to handle this?]

Everybody has different experiences with different hotels; many will say this is the best-kept secret in Hampton Roads. I'd like to see what they were smoking (pun intended). Bottom line, another trucker-quality hotel that disappointed me greatly, and I'm thinking seriously about following this up with a letter to the CEO of the chain.

Room Tip: If you CANNOT deal with smoke or pets, do yourself a favor and avoid this location. Never have I de...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank THERREN D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
The Villages, Florida, United States
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Hotel is conveniently located off i64 by a golf community offering wooded and even golf course views. Plenty of restaurants and shopping just a short drive away. The standard suite includes a queen size bed and sleep sofa sitting area with flat screen tv. The kitchen is sufficient for cooking and longer term stay. The overall room area is small with no divisions so we heard the refrigerator run all night. It was not my usual comfortable Marriott room.
We stayed 2 nights and looked forward to the breakfast. There was an array of sweet cereals and some fruit. Seating was limited to a small couch and couple of stools. We did not bother our second morning. We did not consider it adequate.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Susan S
Northern Neck of Virginia
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Another ball tournament, another place to sleep.

Very good location, Texas Roadhouse very close, close to interstate.

Worked well for me, priced well, good location, and excellent experience.

Thumbs Up !!! Would stay there again.

Room Tip: Near Texas Roadhouse so food was not a problem. Not an abundance of parking (only drawback), but I...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank theseeker14
Sanford, North Carolina
Reviewed April 7, 2012

We stayed in one of the two bedroom suites for two nights. The second room is so nice when you have teens. Check in was amazingly easy. Justt spent 12 hours packing the house and we were exhausted. It started raining very hard as we pulled in. We were made to feel very welcomed and were given delicious cookies and milk. Brightened our moods for sure. I was surprised there was not wifi. I was tired so was not a huge deal but if i was staying there long term that would have been a problem. The room was good size with a kitchen, living area, two bedrooms and one bathroom. Very clean and comfortable. Breakast was sparse, cereal, yogurt, muffins and pastries. It worked. Check out was a breeze. Danita was great throuhout the entire stay. Thanks for making moving a little easier.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank IMHO2
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed July 22, 2011

The hotel is in a very convienent location, quiet & peaceful. The room was nice, and the staff accommodated our request for ajoining suites.

The staff was very helpful and overall, I would say, you get alot for the money. I thought it was priced great.

Also, It was close to all of the major venues in the Hampton area.

The only drawback, and I use the term loosely is the pool is tiny.

Room Tip: Get in there early!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank QueenAT5010
Gilbert, Arizona
Reviewed May 21, 2011

Our car was stolen from this hotel parking lot. Horrible management were very unhelpful. Local shariiff warned that it happens often here to cars with out of state plates. Don't let the neighborhood fool you. Hotel is not corporate owned and doen't have security nor camaers outside. camaera only point in the office . Did I mention the horrible management?

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank meGumby
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed February 13, 2011

I was in the Towneplace for 5 weeks during a trip. When I walked into the assigned building, the carpet was absolutely filthy in the hall. There was an enormous stain right outside the door to my room. It took me a while to get into the building because the key scanner would not work to unlock the outside door. That stayed broken for 4 of the 5 weeks of my stay. The VERY OLD refrigerator kept peeing all over the kitchen floor, and I was told that I had to keep the tray empty and keep things off of one of the three shelves. Then about half-way throug my stay, the VERY OLD electric stove shot sparks past me (within about 2 inches) and hit the wall leaving a scar on the wall. When they gave me a key to utilize the room next door, the refrigerator in THAT room had peed all over the floor there too! There is no WIFI, and after I had to go and purchase a CAT 5 cable, the internet was down for about 3 of the 5 weeks.

One of the employees families had a wedding or something one weekend, and many of the guests complained about the noise going past 0300 in addition to complaining about the blatant use of drugs in and around the building. They gave me a room in another building so I could get some sleep, but they did nothing about the problems for the rest of the guests.

The housekeeping staff seems VERY FRUSTRATED as they cannot seem to do anything. They had to bring a board in because there was a definite concave (on both axes) shape to the mattress. (When they put me in the other room for a night, the bed looked EXACTLY THE SAME!)

Apparently, this hotel was up for refurbishing 2 or 3 years ago, but they do not plan on fixing anything until one of those stoves actuall hit someone when the sparks fly, and they get sued.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yorktown
Courtyard Newport News Yorktown
Staybridge Suites Newport News-Yorktown
Candlewood Suites Newport News
Hampton Inn Newport News-Yorktown
Hampton Inn & Suites Newport News (Oyster Point)
Hilton Garden Inn Newport News
Hilton Garden Inn Newport News
#4 of 38 in Newport News

Been to TownePlace Suites Newport News Yorktown? Share your experiences!