“Nice hotel with very friendly front desk staff”

Staybridge Suites Newport News-Yorktown
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Yorktown
Alexandria VA
“Nice hotel with very friendly front desk staff”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

This is my 3rd time staying at this hotel. Stayed here to race BMX at Hampton VA. Pretty convenient. Also like that Uno's is just down the street.

Stayed in room 428, which was right next to the elevator. Was very concerned about this. As soon as I saw where the room was located, I didn't even go in, but went back down to the front desk to see if I could get a different room. Thought since was my 3rd stay it would be no problem. Unfortunately, they said the hotel was sold out for the weekend and no other rooms were available. The desk guy did say the rooms were insulated very good for noise and it shouldn't be a problem. I was very skeptical, but ok.

I was actually surprised. The room turned out to be ok. If you were standing right at the door, you could hear the elevator ding, but otherwise, didn't really notice it and the quietness of the room was very good. Didn't notice any door banging or anything like that.

So was a nice quiet room to stay in and had a good stay. Beds were fine. Brought my own pillows, which I think did help me sleep well. But the pillows in the room were fine. Was a queen bed room. The shades/drapes on the windows did keep the sun out very well. Probably helped with the noise since this was the top floor of the hotel.

The only thing I would change, which I mentioned in my first review, is the breakfast hours. I really wish they were the same every day, ie went until 10:30. Checked in on Thur night, didn't get to bed until 1 a.m. and didn't need to be up early for Fri, however, had to get up to make sure I made the breakfast end of 9:30. So would have been better if I could have slept in a bit more for breakfast. Weekend breakfast ended at 10:30, which was fine.

Also had never been here on Tues-Thur. They had a soup/salad in the evening, which was very nice as I was hungry when I arrived, and didn't really have time for dinner before I had to be at the track for a Thur night race. So the soup and salad hit the spot. The menu for this is different every day. They had the menu on the refrig in the room.

Was nice they had a tv in the lobby/lounge eating area too. Got there just in time to see the last game of the NBA final, and wouldn't have made it had I had to get to the room.

Front desk staff were super friendly and good. Meal area person on Sunday was terrific. Very friendly and helpful. Liked that they served breakfast. And this place is pet friendly, which is one of the main reasons I stay here.

There is a candlewood suites next door, but they don't serve the breakfast. So prefer to stay here. You could also walk to Uno's, which has great food. Great location. Very convenient to get on HWY 60 too, which I ended up taking to Richmond since I-64 was backed up.

Room Tip: Stayed in room 428, which is on the top floor, right next to the elevator. Was concerned about nois...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
ScottOCox, Director of Sales at Staybridge Suites Newport News-Yorktown, responded to this review, June 28, 2013
Thank you for your review. We are especially glad that you enjoyed the quiet location that we have. We treuly have the best of both worlds with the quiet location yet close and convenient to everything as you mentioned. Thanks again and we will love to see you next time you are in town.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Brandywine, Maryland
Reviewed June 7, 2013

Just spent a few days at the Staybridge Suites, and could not have picked a better place to stay for a nice mini R&R following a long work week .This is a great central location, convient to shopping center, grocery store, ABC store, nail salon etc. We had a 2 bedroom suite and an amazing, relaxing time with beautiful views of the Lake.
I heartly recommend the Staybridge Suites. My friend of 20 years and I stayed.
I consider this property my top choice. The owners are quite pleasant they try to accommodate all your needs during your stay at their Hotel, Mr. "P", Heron (Owners). Lysette, (General Manager) pleasant smile, meticulous about the appearance of the hotel. Scott, (Director of Sales) who ensures the guest is always satisfied with their group accommodations and he is pleasant as well.
Kevin, accommodating, ensures the guest are not having computer connection issues.
Warren who I see as a Male model for "GQ" Gentlemen’s Quartly Magazine, front desk who also wears very nice business suits, and is very well dressed, extremely pleasant.
Kelly pleasant, very professional business attitude, she goes that extra mile the front Desk Staff is great.
Night Auditors Yoshiko, and Angelo are wonderful also, Yoshiko with the brightest smile and pleasant attitude. I do not want to forget Lavelle, Jay, and Dale the housemen, who take care of the property, as well as assist you with your luggage if needed...,also the Housekeeping Dept., Sandy and her team ensure the guest have large fresh towels, clean sheets, washcloths, etc.
I do not want to forget the dining room staff, MS Kat, and Danielle, who prepare the most wonderful buffet breakfast to include, waffles, eggs, bacon ham, fresh fruits, yogurt, cereal, a variety of hot coffee. They make you feel at home at what is probably the most "homey" place I've ever stayed. The rooms were great, everything was cleaned comfortable. The company was great and the experience was great as always. I am returning in 2 weeks for my family vacation for 9 days looking forward to another wonderful stay at my HOME AWAY FROM HOME AT THE Stay Bridge Suites Yorktown VA....Excellent, Excellent Excellent.

Room Tip: Large clean comfortable suites.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
ScottOCox, Director of Sales at Staybridge Suites Newport News-Yorktown, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Thanks for the great review that you left. We appreciate your loyalty and the contribution you bring to us with each and every visit. We look forward to having you stay all these years and are glad you are apart of our Staybridge Suites Newport News-Yorktown Family. See you soon.
Castalian Springs, Tennessee
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Person at the front desk was very nice. As priority club members, the entire family was given a treat at check in. My son needed a bandaid and was given that plus some Neosporin. The two bedroom suite was perfect for a family of 6 but it was not cheap. Lots of storage space. They were understaffed and breakfast one morning and it was slammed. As soon as food was put out, it was gone. A couple of times no one was at the front desk. The chlorine smell in the indoor pool room left my nose burning.

We were close to Yorktown and a short drive from Williamsburg and Jamestown. Restaurants and stores fairly close too. Location was good for all the things we wanted to do.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
ScottOCox, Director of Sales at Staybridge Suites Newport News-Yorktown, responded to this review, May 30, 2013
We are glad you became a part of the Staybridge Suites Newport News-Yorktown family. Your review was very useful and we will continue to strive towards providing an excellent guest experience with each and every guest. Thanks again.
Marietta, GA
Reviewed May 28, 2013

I fell in love with Staybridge during our 2009 trip to Pennsylvania and have also stayed in the one in Burlington, MA. This one in Yorktown did not disappoint. Our first surprise came during check in. The one-room suite (only $10 more than a regular room) they were supposed to give us was not guest-ready, so they gave us, free of charge, a two-room suite. This was great because we had two bathrooms, and the air conditioning unit was located in the other bedroom, leaving our king-size bedroom cool but quiet. The bathrooms were average, but good, and the living room/kitchen area had a sofa, a chair, two side tables that could become one coffee table, two lamps, a full-size fridge, a small breakfast bar, sink, stove, dishes, pots and pans, and a dishwasher. The place was at the end of a road, across from a little community, and was quiet--but just up the road was a shopping center which included a Kroger supermarket so we could buy snacks or food to eat in. Everything was clean and wonderful.

(Okay, the sofa was a bit worn out. We told them about it when we checked out. And for some reason the television turned off every hour when we had it on at night. We couldn't find a timer set. No big deal.)

Staybridge is pet friendly and there's a nice dog-walking area here. There's also a small pond behind the breakfast area. Check and you might see some birds as you eat breakfast.

As always, the breakfast bar pleases. The oatmeal was runny the first morning, but okay thereafter. Fruit, yogurt, toast, waffles, cereal, coffee, tea, juice, milk, muffins, bagels, eggs, sausage or bacon were offered. The servers were nice, and the homey little area with fireplace so nice on windy October mornings. They also serve little meals at night: burgers and dogs, or chili, or pizza.

Lots of people must know about this place because I was surprised on how crowded it was during the week in October, part of off season!

This was in a great central location to see all the coastal Virginia sights. We saw Yorktown, Jamestown, Williamsburg, a small warplane museum, the Mariner's Museum, Nautica and the USS Wisconsin, and went on two different harbor tours. It was a glorious week. Oh, and if you're a crafter, the hotel is just down the road from an A.C. Moore!

Room Tip: The one-room and two-room suites are worth it!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank ShadowLass38
Well we are very pleased to see you enjoyed your stay with us. More importantly that you enjoyed the convenience of our cozy location and chose to mention that in your review. We do strive to give the best experience for our guests here at Staybridge Suites Newport News-Yorktown. We look forward to seeing you again real soon. Thanks for all the nice comments regarding your last stay with us. The staff is very appreciative. See you soon.
Severn, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I've always wanted to stay at one of these hotels because they are so nice. The only downside is that it is not in prime location, kind of off the beaten path and across from a complex living area. The staff were very nice and helpful, the room was great, even had a dvd player!

Room Tip: King bed is shut off from living area so kids slept on pull out couch in another room!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Scott C, Director of Sales at Staybridge Suites Newport News-Yorktown, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Thank you for choosing to stay with the Staybridge Family in Newport News Airport district, we appreciate you selecting us and look forward to seeing you return. Thank again.
Toledo, Ohio
Reviewed May 1, 2013

From cleanliness to friendliness, this is a great hotel! Breakfast was very good with a nice variety and well-staffed all through breakfast. Room was awesome - clean, classy, and comfortable. Room temperature was always perfectly comfortable, and yet I never once heard it running. (Most hotels systems are quite noisy.) Pool & hot-tub area is nice too. Competitively priced for hotels in the area, but a huge step above the others !

Room Tip: One-Bedroom Suite worked well for visiting with family during our stay - well appointed, plenty of s...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
ScottOCox, Director of Sales at Staybridge Suites Newport News-Yorktown, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
We always hear great things and warm comments from our guests, but you clearly had an over the top experience with us. We truely do try to exceed our competitors standards and floor our guests while they are with us with every single check in. Feel free to come back to us anytime. Thanks again for your wonderful review on the Staybridge Suites Newport News-Yorktown, VA.
los angeles
Reviewed April 23, 2013

We have 2 small children and we have stayed at this hotel twice. We really like the fact that there are 2 separate rooms, a full kitchen in the room and a wonderful free breakfast all for a reasonable price. The rooms are clean and nicely furnished. The staff is cheerful, courteous and helpful. We will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
ScottOCox, Director of Sales at Staybridge Suites Newport News-Yorktown, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
We are very pleased you liked our accomodations. Our two bedroom suites are unique indeed. Glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to you coming back to stay with us. Hope to see you again soon. Thanks
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yorktown
Courtyard Newport News Yorktown
Candlewood Suites Newport News
Hampton Inn & Suites Newport News (Oyster Point)
Hampton Inn Newport News-Yorktown
TownePlace Suites Newport News Yorktown
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Newport News

Been to Staybridge Suites Newport News-Yorktown? Share your experiences!