“Naturally Retro” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Duke of York Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Yorktown
Duke of York Hotel
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Yorktown
Corvallis, Oregon
“Naturally Retro”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

This motel has character. It is located across the street from a pleasant sandy beach with a relaxed and fun vibe. The motel is older but totally cute and charming. Check in was super easy. The lady was so friendly and informal. The room was a bit dated, but so what? Vinyl instead of marble...but sparkling clean. Very clean bathroom, simple faucets, lots of water. The beds were comfy; we slept like babies. There is an elevator on one side of the building...but we took the stairs and were in and out in a jiffy. Within walking distance are excellent eateries as well as good coffee. This motel has the feel of a 60s beach resort with good vibrations and summertime fun. And the price was very reasonable. I wish we could stay longer.

Room Tip: If you absolutely need an elevator, ask for a room on that side. Otherwise you coud have a hike.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank nurseintheair
skurfa, Public Relations Manager at Duke of York Hotel, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts of the Duke of York Hotel, Historic Yorktown's beachfront Hotel. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and hope you have the opportunity to stay with us again when you are in the area.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

I am not picky--I travel to developing countries and can deal with many different processes.We wanted to stay here, and the website said that it was booked. I called instead to see if there were any rooms and made a reservation with no problem, until I asked for an email confirmation--just something to have since they took very little information over the phone. I was told to call back in the morning and the manager Ruth would send one to. I called back the next morning--same number--and requested an email confirmation from the manager. Was told "we don't do that hon." When I asked, "you don't send emails to your customers?" she again replied, "we don't do email." When I told her I wanted to cancel, she didn't seem to care at all--and I was not rude. This might seem silly, but having an email has saved me in the past when smaller hotels lose reservations. I have had great service from really tiny and modest places, and am just really tired of apathetic service. I guess they are so full they don't care. Off to another place.

Room Tip: Didn't even end up staying there. If the reservation service is an indicator of the stay, we we...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Flag-Biki
Vinton, Virginia, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2012

I really enjoyed my stay here. so beautiful and quite. Rooms are great and clean. Staff was super nice. I am difently coming back in august. Loved the view of beaches and easy access to
everything. It is an older motel, But updated in some areas and clean. I cannot not praise them enough.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Brenda C
Your praise of the Duke of York Hotel is appreciated! We are proud of our friendly staff and clean rooms and thank you for sharing your opinion. We look forward to having you stay with us again in August.
Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

We stayed in a motel room “on the hill” section of this older facility. It had a magnificent view of the York River, from the motel room window as well as the grassy area in front of our room, which we enjoyed immensely. It was also very quiet and pleasant “on the hill” with a nice breeze, even in 100 degree temperature. Had we been in the newer section, which fronts on the River, we would have been looking at vehicular traffic as well as the beach goers. The hotel has a two star AAA rating, but I did expect a bit more than what we received for the rate we paid, even though this is prime time for a resort area. When we opened the door to our room, soiled carpet was the first thing I saw which made the entire room feel unclean. I do realize that it is a hotel room with a lot of different guests who do not treat it like they would treat their own home, but I feel it could be kept cleaner. The furnishings were very dated, but the mattresses were comfortable. This is the only hotel/motel in Yorktown, other than three B&B’s which had no vacancies for the time period that we wanted, so management can charge whatever they want to. So, if you want to stay in Yorktown, you have to tolerate the high room rate and the dated accommodations. There are a limited number of restaurants in Yorktown also, and I consider the food prices outrageous for the quality of food we received. We enjoyed the lovely Riverwalk area very, very much and the Saturday morning Farmer’s Market was awesome. Yorktown is a lovely place to visit and stay, with all its history, and we do plan to return, in spite of my comments about the accommodations. Next time, we will be better prepared for what to expect and be better prepared for meals.

Room Tip: Rooms "on the hill" are quieter with a lovely view of the York River and the swimming pool...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank jfoxs58
skurfa, Public Relations Manager at Duke of York Hotel, responded to this review, July 24, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to share your valuable remarks. We are glad that you immensely enjoyed our beautiful courtyard. It is very quiet and pleasant on the hill overlooking the York River!
We take pride in the cleanliness of our rooms. If we have failed at something and a guest brings it to our attention, we take care of it as soon as possible. We have had a busy summer and holiday week and are constantly keeping up with repairs. The carpets are cleaned regularly and replaced as needed.
Our location in Historic Yorktown, on the beach, is unparalleled. Since you do plan on returning to Yorktown, we do hope that you allow us the opportunity to accommodate you once again at the Duke of York Hotel.
North East, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2012

I had the distinct pleasure of a stay at this hidden gem hotel in Yorktown, VA which is directly overlooking the charming beach and the beautiful York River. The Duke of York Hotel is everything you want a room to be for a wonderful restfully nights sleep with super comfortable bed, many large pillows (difficult to find of late) super soft jumbo towels and the room was impeccably clean. Very friendly and helpful desk staff and a very convenient and reasonable restaurant on the property. All of this and in a lovely very historical town, right in the middle of everything. What more could one need? I will definitely go out of my way to stay here again. Dick.

Room Tip: Request room in main area with balcony overlooking the beach
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
6 Thank CaptainDick1
, Public Relations Manager at Duke of York Hotel, responded to this review, July 5, 2012
You described the Duke of York to a T! We are proud of our desireable location as the only hotel in Historic Yorktown, friendly staff, clean and comfortable rooms and locals favorite restaurant on site. Thank you so much for your review. It will be our pleasure to have you stay with us again!
Burns, Oregon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2012

Motel is located right beside the York River. I had a room in the Lower part of the motel, 3rd floor and my view was wonderful!! The motel is older but very clean. I arrived very late and the kind gentleman addressed me by my first name as I entered the lobby.....(I must have been the last person to check in for the night!) Breakfast in the cafe downstairs was AWESOME. Everything in Yorktown is within walking distance of the motel. Bring comfortable shoes though, the town is hilly.

Room Tip: For a guaranteed great view ask for the lower part of the motel
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank mchuseby
skurfa, Guest Relations Manager at Duke of York Hotel, responded to this review, June 12, 2012
As the only hotel in historic Yorktown, there is a river view from every room! We are glad you enjoyed your stay and thank you for taking the time to let us know. We hope you have an opportunity to stay with us again at Yorktown's hidden treasure.
Frederick, MD
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2012

This hotel is in a great location, but is sorely in need of updates. Beyond that, we found out when we arrived that they had somehow mistakenly made pur resevation for October instead of April. We were able to clear things up and luckily they stIll had a room availble. Howevever when we checked out the next morning we found that they hadn't cancelled the reservation for October even though we clearly indicated the night before that the October reservatIon was their mistake. In addition there was no ironing board and iron in our room. We called downstairs to inquire and told us to come get one. The ironing board was a joke. It was the small table-top kind, and it sagged horribly in the middle. The cloth on the board looked 20 years old and was singed brown and black from years of use, and had several unwashed stains on it. We didn't dare put our clothes on the thing and decided that wrinkled garments weren't so bad afterall. I think that the Duke of York survives because it's the only hotel around. While the staff was friendly enough, the service was certainly not exceptional in any way, and the rooms and other areas of the facilities are ragged, worn, and in need of a makeover.

• Stayed April 2012
6 Thank birdseed_19
Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your stay. Feedback from our guests helps us improve. We have thrown away the table-top ironing board and have purchased full size ironing boards. We do apologize for your inconveniences and hope to have the opportunity to have you stay with us again when you return to Yorktown.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yorktown
Courtyard Newport News Yorktown
Red Roof Inn Yorktown
Red Roof Inn Yorktown
#6 of 8 in Yorktown
Staybridge Suites Newport News-Yorktown
Candlewood Suites Newport News
TownePlace Suites Newport News Yorktown
Woodlands Hotel & Suites - Colonial Williamsburg

Been to Duke of York Hotel? Share your experiences!