All reviews front desk texas roadhouse restaurants within walking distance cell phone baseball tournament marriott hotels indoor pool clean hotel after midnight newport news quiet area housekeeping staff pleasant stay bistro lobby property ruby
Reviewed October 8, 2018 via mobile

Drove from pgh Wednesday oct 3rd. To attend a funeral the next day. We arrived late. As the hotel was already made aware we would be late. We arrived at 12:30 first thing they can’t find my reservation. One I had already been charged to hold when I booked online. Then under her breath says they gave your room away. She proceeds to give us keys to room 307. They don’t work. She resets them and they don’t work again. On the third attempt she comes with her master key and opens the room. There is a man sleeping in the bed. Who is now just as scared as we are. Ok so second room attempt. Room 225. The toilet doesn’t work at all. No water coming to it at all. And the tv doesn’t work either. Get a third room (Room 325) which she goes and checks first and then leaves the door propped open for us. We tried to walk in the room but the Urine smell was so bad you instantly gagged. It is now 3 hours later. We are tired and would like some sleep before the funeral. We go to tell her as she is speaking with a manager on the phone. They now begin to argue bc apparently she wasn’t supposed to rent that room out. She wants to give me a 4th room when I decline. She tried to get us another room elsewhere to no avail, We found a room ourselves and checked in at 4 am. I was told my card would be reversed that night at close. The first charge fell off my account. But they have charged my account again. The room was 107.28 with a supposed 25 incidental fee. But charged me 130.... adding isn’t a strong suit either apparently. I have called the hotel and they told me I could have 25 off my stay. I didn’t stay there!! Then I Was offered a refund. I didn’t stay there!!! I should have never been charged again. The manager refuses to speak to me and is making her front desk staff speak to me while she talks to them on their end. It’s the most unprofessional situation I’ve ever had. When my husband finally got the supposed manager on the phone he asked her name. She said Ms Moore. He asked for a first name and she laughed. I spent almost 2 hours on the phone with people higher up when I finally figured out the number bc they refused to give it to me. With it ending they didn’t charge me, it will fall off, it was a mistake before I even got there. Basically the complete run around. The hotel was disgusting. The staff is rude, u professional, and clearly do not have a clue how to do their jobs. Management isn’t much better at this point. You couldn’t pay me to stay here. Save yourself the complete headache and stay somewhere else.

Date of stay: October 2018
1  Thank orionsbelt323
SeptemberL1, Guest Relations Manager at Courtyard Newport News Yorktown, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2018

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We take matters such as this very seriously. As a result, please allow us some time to look into this matter further.

Reviewed September 16, 2018

I was booked at this property for a business related trip recently during Hurricane Florence to be close to a hospital that my employer is a contractor for. First and foremost I have to mention that the staff was nothing but friendly, professional, courteous, and welcoming. My room was clean, and in order, the furnishings were somewhat dated. The A/C unit had to be adjusted a couple of times to get it comfortable and the units are due for an upgrade. The A/C unit was slightly on the loud side, can't quite say it was noisy. The things I will mention next are just observations, nothing that would prevent me from booking another stay at this property. The temperature in the hallway was uncomfortable, I stayed on the third floor and perhaps there was an issue with the A/C? The carpet in various parts of the hotel was showing wear. The ice machine was out of order on my floor also. With a few cosmetic improvements this could be a VERY NICE hotel to match the gleaming, professional staff that made me feel welcomed and well taken care of. Not sure why a hotel under the Marriott umbrella has not pulled the trigger on an overdue renovation. Almost strange. The location is very conveniently located near I-64. There are several chain restaurants nearby two within walking distance. Great amenities onsite.

Room tip: upper floor and away from elevator if you desire quiet
Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
Reviewed August 1, 2018 via mobile

The room was musty, in need of some fresh paint, front desk staff were on the unprofessional side, took forever to check out! The AC units are loud , was not a pleasant stay! Parking is tight! Not much of a view!

Date of stay: August 2018
1  Thank Kfire101
September L, Manager at Courtyard Newport News Yorktown, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2018

Dear 528keithr,

We recognize your time is valuable and appreciate the feedback you have provided on the Guest Satisfaction Survey.

Maintaining a fresh atmosphere within our guest rooms and common areas is always a key priority. On behalf of the entire team at Courtyard Newport News Yorktown, we sincerely apologize for falling short of not only meeting your expectations, but ours as well. We are also sorry about the lack of customer service you were received at the front desk and for the maintenance issues. Rest assured, the feedback provided will be shared and addressed with our entire hotel team to ensure we consistently improve going forward and deliver upon guest expectations. We have a renovation planned for later this year, we hope you reconsider visiting us the next time you are in the area.

Reviewed July 24, 2018 via mobile

We came here at the beginning of our vacation. We are Marriott people! Have stayed at many! Love marriot however this place was extremely disappointing. The room smelled. Bad! They would not move me either so i had to endure the night! The smell to me was similar to urine but to my husband it was like cleaning product! Regardless the smell of the room was awful! The tub was slippery like it was never cleaned and there was a snot from someone else’s nose on the wall waiting for us by the sink area. The cleanliness of the room was extremely poor.

Date of stay: July 2018
1  Thank Samiam2526
September L, Manager at Courtyard Newport News Yorktown, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2018

Dear Samiam2526,

Thank you for your honest feedback! The condition of your room with the severe housekeeping issues you encountered were unacceptable and we want to sincerely apologize for your experience. Your comments have been shared and addressed with our entire hotel team to ensure we improve going forward. Again we are really sorry about your stay.

Reviewed July 19, 2018

The location was convenient for my business needs, but this place was so "meh" that I cut the stay short. My room was old, tired, and damp feeling. Nothing majorly wrong that drives me to call it BAD, but just meh.

Date of stay: July 2018
September L, Manager at Courtyard Newport News Yorktown, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2018

We want to take a moment to thank you for your honest feedback! The condition of your guest room was unacceptable. Please be assured that we have shared and addressed your comments with our entire hospitality team to ensure we improve going forward. Once again we are sorry about your experience, please consider us the next time your in town.