“if you are a business traveller dependent on email services - go somewhere else”

Courtyard Newport News Yorktown
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Yorktown
Northern VA
Reviewed March 16, 2010

probably the worst email connection I have ever experienced. I am very dependent on email - this place was by fair the worst i have experienced. Way too slow. Too many disconnects. If you are a business person - run away - go somewhere else.

My email address is mneyland@alionscience.com - that I am willing to give my email is a testament to the poor quality of email service for a business person

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
cyyork, General Manager at Courtyard Newport News Yorktown, responded to this review, July 28, 2010
Dear Mneyland, I am Happy to announce that we just joined a partnership with a new Internet Company, and our Signal / Service is stronger than ever ! I personally invite you to come back and try us out because I am sure that you will be impressed ! Sincerely, Chris Tanner, GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Huntingtown, MD
Reviewed March 23, 2009

The Newport News/Yorktown Courtyard is unremarkable, but perfectly fine nonetheless. There was only one negative and no overwhelming positives - a well-appointed clean room for a reasonable price close to my meeting location.

I was there on a business trip and stayed for one night. Overall, the property seemed well cared for.

My room was a standard double. The bed I slept in was very comfortable - typical Courtyard quality. My room had the de rigueur desk with lamp and I believe that it had a high speed internet connection. While I didn't use it, the room also had a nice wingback chair to relax and do some light reading. The room was equipped with a mini-refrigerator and microwave. The bathroom area was nice, clean, and well appointed, again standard Courtyard fare.

The only downside to the room was that the television and channel offerings were somewhat less than what I've seen in other Courtyard or Marriott properties. There were no movie offerings, no games, and no internet access through the television....just a few cable channels.

My room was on the first floor. That being said, it was very well soundproofed, as there was no ambient noise from the floors above, or from the hallway or outside parking lot.

All of the lobby areas were very nice, clean and modern. There were computers in the business area that had an network printer and were equipped with high speed connections. The internet worked fine for accessing webmail and other sites.

Off the lobby were also comfortable seating areas with a nice fireplace. Also off the lobby is the Courtyard Cafe. My package did not include breakfast so we ended up going out.

For dinner, my colleague and I went next door to the Texas Roadhouse for dinner, so I did not get to sample the restaurant. By the way, the Texas Roadhouse was JAMMING at dinner time. Even though it was a Monday evening, the place was packed with a 20-30 minute wait. Clearly, it was a popular place with the locals, and I guess that Monday evenings are children's night. Anyway, the place had good ambiance and was fun. The food was typical steakhouse fare.

Back to the Courtyard...the property also had an indoor pool, exercise room, washer and dryer, as well as ice machines and vending available on every floor.

The staff there were very helpful and unobtrusive. They provided me with everything I needed. Service was prompt and courteous.

All in all, I would recommend the Courtyard by Marriott Newport News/Yorktown to other travelers in this area. It is a standard Courtyard experience, and you get what you pay for.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Virginia
Reviewed August 11, 2008

Large, clean comortable rooms.

My family of 4 (2 parents and 2 younger teens) spent one night here in August while visiting Williamsburg. I was very pleased with the clean room, very comfortable queen sized beds, and I especially liked the size of the room. With four of us in 1 room, there was plenty of room to "get around" each other. The room included a larger than typical refrigerator and the sink placed outsided the bathroom made it quicker/easier for all to get ready in the morning.

The hotel is also located in easy walking distance to a Ruby Tuesday's and other restaurants.

The price was not a bargain, but for a very comfortable overnight stay for 4, it was definitely a value!

• Liked — large room size
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed August 7, 2008

We only stayed a night, and we got in late. The room was dingy, the A/C didn't work well (and we needed it to work), and the carpet was sticky from the humidity (possibly because the AC didn't work well!) I'd avoid it because they charge prices that would suggest it's more upscale. It's a step above a motel, but not much more.

• Liked — Ability to get loyalty points
  • Disliked — Dirty room
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends
New Jersey
Reviewed July 22, 2008

This is a good hotel that is near several restaurants. The Mexican restaurant in the small strip mall next to the hotel was excellent.

• Stayed July 2008
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 6, 2007

Let me first start by saying the hotel staff was extremely friendly. They were pleasant, polite and helpful every time we needed to speak to them.

The rooms and the hotel in general were very clean. Our room was very clean. We booked the king spa room. It was a bit strange that the spa was near the bed and not part of the bathroom (as we have had in other hotels). It also was a standard sized room so to have the spa in the same area as the bed really shrank the room. The sink area was also not in the bathroom area, but in the space outside the shower area and was a bit on the small side. I don't know if they could have arranged the room differently to change the layout, but it was fine for a short stay. We requested all foam pillows and got feather pillows instead. The staff went out of their way to correct the problem, but didn't seem to quite master the task and we still had mostly feather pillows when we left. But, the staff was so pleasant about it, you really couldn't get that upset with them. They tried.

There was a microwave and fridge in the room, which was very helpful. There was free coffee and tea in the lobby at all times and there was food and beverages for sale in the lobby 24/7.

The breakfast buffet was worth skipping. For the price of the room, they should have included the $8 buffet (that was barely worth $8). The pool area looked nice and clean. And the location was ideal. For those looking for proximity to the Coast Guard base, it was ideal. Very close to Yorktown battlefield, Jamestown and Williamsburg.

Would definately recommend this to others and would definately use this hotel again.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Can't really think of anything that was so terribly awful.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JudyMetroNYCarea
va
Reviewed October 8, 2007

My husband and I were down in Yorktown/Williamsburg to go to Busch Gardens and the Coast Guard base in Yorktown. We had originally had reservations at a hotel in Yorktown but because the hotel was so disgusting and they refused to clean it or give us a new room we left. We contacted this hotel and they were extremely polite and accomodating. We recieved a beautiful room with absolutely no hassle. This hotel is great for the military, the rate for us was only $70! We couldn't have been happier. We will definately stay here again!

• Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Yorktown
Staybridge Suites Newport News-Yorktown
Candlewood Suites Newport News
Hampton Inn Newport News-Yorktown
Hampton Inn & Suites Newport News (Oyster Point)
TownePlace Suites Newport News Yorktown
Hilton Garden Inn Newport News
Hilton Garden Inn Newport News
#3 of 38 in Newport News

Been to Courtyard Newport News Yorktown? Share your experiences!